Sponsored

Convertible Windscreen alternative, courtesy of Audi!

ScottM_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertible
I am sure you will be happy with the SmartTop. On my MB I had to find and splice into a power source and attach to a ground. On the S550 it seems to be 100% plug-n-play, should be an easy install, plus you can clean any of the plastic you drilled for the Audi screen while you are back there. The one other feature I really missed from my MB SmartTop was the ability to select a mirror before going into reverse and then as soon as you did it would adjust to look straight down. This really helps when you are backing into the garage or a curb in a parking lot, avoids road rash on the rims. I found with my S550 memory seats I can just put the mirror all the way down then hit the memory button before I get out or it will reset the next time I get into the car.
Looking forward for an update once you get it installed. Back to adding some change to my piggy bank so I can get one too! :-)
Scott
Sponsored

racerdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convert 17 GMC Sierra 15 Terrain
My audi deflector arrived Friday. I haven't been home yet to look it over. :frown:

mwoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT Convertible
I did mine today. Instead of drilling 7/16ths I drilled 9/16ths and used a rubber grommet ID 7/16ths Groove 9/16ths OD 3/4". Ace hardware part # 55058-H.

The hole looks factory, IMHO. I'll get a better pic of the hole tomorrow outside. Tested it to 80mph worked great.

2orsO8Q1q4jGr29rGSfbxkGlqTfO7KWvrj3xXlZRxhH-sx_sKR4SlrTCpDLmP9BD-TKw0v75lennZ4x08hNr0VeJ0g=w2400.jpg

CV7BxcGXzF9jdj5jo_UiX0p4qig-fOSRpy6nWTMAo5B8gqfLxHzNs6RcqCfvzFnprZo7BMmHbV2FnqE-ExI9TyW3iQ=w2400.jpg
I’m considering this mod in the near future. Which screen did you use? It doesn’t appear to be the A4 screen others have used, because it doesn’t appear to fold.

Thanks

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I’m considering this mod in the near future. Which screen did you use? It doesn’t appear to be the A4 screen others have used, because it doesn’t appear to fold.

Thanks
Same screen as what was recommended above. Mine folds down and in 1/2 for storage like everyone else.

racerdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Put my Audi screen on today. I used sdivers measurement, but I popped the top trim piece up first to get a look. Be very carefull moving the hole forward by a 1/2 inch. There is a molded on support on the bottom panel that will be cut into at about a 1/2 inch forward. 1 inch would probably be safe. I'll try to get a pic inside there later. I don't like those little legs for the rear support, poking into my leather, so for now I am using some pipe insulation to protect the seat. I'll trim the foam better later.
deflector (1).JPG
deflector (2).JPG
deflector (3).JPG

Sponsored

mwoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same screen as what was recommended above. Mine folds down and in 1/2 for storage like everyone else.
Thanks. I guess I just didn’t see the joint in the pic. I bought a screen on eBay today. I appreciate the measurements and tips from everyone here.

OP
OP

Aggie96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
That's what I love about the Audi design. You can't really see the fold on the top section.

Thanks. I guess I just didn’t see the joint in the pic. I bought a screen on eBay today. I appreciate the measurements and tips from everyone here.

ScottM_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertible
Lol, my laziness got the best of me (the very reason why i upgraded from an old BMW e36 to the S550). After seeing the SmarTop and all that it could do, I figured that would be even better than trying to hack the system myself. I like the idea of the top automatically retracting as soon as I unlatch it and not having to hold a button down. It will be here at the end of the week and I will post back on a new thread as soon as I get it installed.
Aggie96,
Any update on the installation of your SmartTop Module? Curious how it goes.
Thanks.

OP
OP

Aggie96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely love it. The second best convenience mod behind the windscreen mod and worth the money IMHO.

It was fairly easy to install. Pull the back seat bottom out (make sure that you look for the two clips to pinch, don't just start yanking on the seat like I did). It may be possible to reach up and unplug the existing harness under the side panel speaker behind the driver seat if you have really small hands. I went ahead and pulled the panel exactly like the instructions said. The installation process probably took me about 15 minutes. I also left the USB cable attached and the PC end under the rear seat so that if I ever have to update the firmware, I just lift up the seat and plug the USB cable into my laptop. I am hoping to send them a few more ideas to see if they can incorporate it into a future update of this awesome product.

I have my top speed set to the second highest setting but I mostly only activate it when pulling in/out of parking spaces or stopped at stoplight if it looks like it is going to rain.

I also have it set so that the top down process initiates as soon as you twist the latch. This is the most useful feature, IMHO. I was really frustrated that Ford hasn't included one-touch down, but this makes it true one-touch! You don't have to push the button after unlatching, just simply twist (if you choose that option. You can still set the module so that you have to twist and push the button, but I see no need in that extra step). Plus, the latch is a bigger target than the button, so I really don't even need to look up to find the button. Just reach up and grab the handle. It still doesn't solve the problem of lowering the top with the remote out of the car, but to be honest the top is so fast and now that I can drive while the top is in motion, I have no need to lower the top from outside the car to speed up my departure process. Simply get in, start the car, twist the handle, buckle, and put the car into reverse/drive.

I also love that it is plug and play and that I can remove it if I sell the car.

Aggie96,
Any update on the installation of your SmartTop Module? Curious how it goes.
Thanks.

mwoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed my Audi wind blocker today. Huge thanks to Aggie96 and Sdiver68 for posting their work. Sdiver's measurements worked perfectly for me. I also used the grommets (Lowe's), which fit very well. It's pouring rain here today, so the road test will have to wait.

Sponsored

CHEZER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi, all! I just joined the Mustang world yesterday with my purchase of a 2017 Race Red Ford Mustang EcoBoost Convertible. I started the convertible world with a 1994 BMW 325i in 2012 and loved it. When I found the windscreen option, I loved it even more. But I wasn't satisfied with the existing options, and found a post in the BMW forums that an 2001-2009 Audi A4 windscreen fit perfectly and as a bonus, folds in half to fit better in the trunk!

Fast forward to yesterday as I start looking at mustang options for a windscreen and facing disappointment that there isn't a better integrated option, I tried the Audi on a whim. The size was absolutely perfect!

So I said a little prayer, cried a few tears, then proceeded to drill two holes into the plastic trim of my brand new (to me) Mustang. I think the result is absolutely fabulous! I still have to get two 7/16" black trim rings to dress the holes up and make a modification to the rear of the windscreen to secure it in the back, but I absolutely love the look and love the fact that it folds up small enough to fit into the back section of the trunk!

Here are the pictures, and I will update the post once I figure out an elegant way to secure the back of the windscreen.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KUZJhSM1xKaBe1zr6
I used the Love the Drive windscreen, no drilling required works really well.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
I used the Love the Drive windscreen, no drilling required works really well.
Not many are denying that. Certainly easier. The advantage to the Audi seems to be the price and that it folds up smaller if you need to toss it in the trunk.

racerdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Not many are denying that. Certainly easier. The advantage to the Audi seems to be the price and that it folds up smaller if you need to toss it in the trunk.
Exactly on the price. But I don't know about easier. After looking at another member recent post on a LTD all those straps don't look so esay or quick. Once the holes are drilled {and I know that is a deterrent to some guys} for the Audi unit it seems to me the Audi screen is removable much quicker if that is important.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Aggie96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI, the other day I drove with the top down in the start of the Tropical Storm Florence winds (supposed gusts up to 35 mph) and the windscreen didn't move until we were hit with one of the biggest gusts of the drive. I was very impressed with the stability of the Audi windscreen even though it is only secured in the front. It has survived 80+ mph speeds on the interstate and now tropical storm wind gusts. I imagine the friction from the rubber grommets will give it even more stability. I haven't installed mine yet because the drill bit shank is too big for my drill. Love my mustang!
Sponsored