Vehicle(s)
18 GT

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You think ford will get this right after 8 years but guess not. What a shame
They do what every corporation does - cost reduce their designs. Until they find out things did not work. I've seem hundreds of times and I can guarantee everyone that once car hits the showrooms, they have entire team focused to driving the cost out of it. Absolutely everyone does it.

Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Does the 19 have new parts?

Yes it will have latest part, but maybe it's not new.

As parts are refined or as suppliers change, the part number suffix is updated. When a new part enters the supply chain, it is put into the production line and replaces the earlier part.

Getrag will be putting the latest shift fork (suffix B) into the 2019 cars. The question is, when did suffix B enter the supply chain? Was it updated in January 2018, October 2017....we don't know. The fact that a TSB has been released to address broken 3-4 shift forks and that it specifies suffix B as the shift fork to use, suggests that suffix B is a new issue part (to address the broken fork problem).

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego

As parts are refined or as suppliers change, the part number suffix is updated. When a new part enters the supply chain, it is put into the production line and replaces the earlier part.

Getrag will be putting the latest shift fork (suffix B) into the 2019 cars. The question is, when did suffix B enter the supply chain? Was it updated in January 2018, October 2017....we don't know. The fact that a TSB has been released to address broken 3-4 shift forks and that it specifies suffix B as the shift fork to use, suggests that suffix B is a new issue part (to address the broken fork problem).
Thanks,
I wonder if they did this in the 1960s? It seems that the engineering decisions are being made by accountants.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
It's always been done in mass production.

First you make a product people want, then you reduce manufacturing cost to increase margin.

I remember when Wendy's did this with the Baconator. :headbonk:

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Did I mention I'm glad I have a 2017?

Sponsored

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT

Hi Jimmy G,

You are a mine of information. Thanks for posting.

Do you think our Bullitts will escape this shift fork problem?

Cheers,

Jim

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Do you think our Bullitts will escape this shift fork problem?
There is no chance they’ll have this issue. Ford use a just-in-time supply chain philosophy to keep costs down. Any forks from the bad batch will have been used well before the first production Bullitt was built.

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
As a potential new Mustang buyer I can't believe what I am reading about this TSB and this faulty linkage issue. I've got my checkbook in hand for a 2018 GT Premium and I called the dealer yesterday and told him I was hitting the brakes. I've been lucky in life and as a car enthusiast ( as well as motorcycles) and have owned over 20 cars of many shapes and sizes from Nissan Maxima's to 911GT's and many in between and I have never heard or saw the kind of quality issues that this car has. Yes.. many cars have issues. But not all of them and when I hear that I just laugh. I have a 20111 Tundra with 70k miles on it and nothing but oil and filter changes. My wife 2016 CX-5 ( 30k car) has 35k miles on it and it's as tight and right as the day it was delivered. it will probably go 100k miles with nothing more than 10 oil changes. I've never had major issues with any of the cars I've had. (Other than a company GMC Yukon company car). And others defend it by saying "this is sports car and its going to have rattles and noises" Other than the exhaust and the audio and the sound of hot rubber there should be no "noises." Other than a airbag recall or a tailgate strut replacement I've never had these kinds of issues and the fact that there are many ( probably because they already own the car) who are kind of blowing this off as no big deal amazes me. It's a major issue with the power train! One of the 3 or 4 key components of any car. It's not some random software update. The only good news is because it is a power train issue it is warrantied for 5 years.

So the questions are.... did they start to use the new forks at any time during 2018 production and if so when? Also will they replace the parts on a current car sitting on a lot to make a sale? I've thrown that one at my dealer and he's going to "look into the situation and see what they can do". I did not hear back yesterday. I'm guessing he's learning that it is a real world problem and has no real answers other than " it's only affecting a small number of cars" which just does not cut it for me.

And I'm not bashing the car. I want the car. I think it's the best looking, best performing ( if it stays screwed together ) performance car of it's type right now but no way can I accept uneven body panel gaps, unfinished paint work and more importantly a potential drive train issue on a 50k premium sports car.

Thanks for reading.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Id be absolutely certain that the suspect parts aren't anywhere near the assembly line by this point, as for the TSB they don't do shit with it until your tranny is deadlined, note its not a recall but I didn't think anyone confused the two.
Sponsored