Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Shouldn’t mean anything. No impact on 2019 Detroit show in jan. I actually like it long term though. There are a lot of shows from January through April. But really no major shows during summer.
The January Detroit show is the NAIAS - one in the same. So it will be moved.

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
The January Detroit show is the NAIAS - one in the same. So it will be moved.
I read it that beginning in 2020 the show will move to June. So that leaves the 2019 show being held in January as usual. It could be canceled but I don't think they'd go that long without a show.

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Maybe I'll actually go there in 2020 since it will be in better weather!

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Yellow Bullet. Now that's Brutal in the off topic section.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
http://autoweek.com/article/detroit...er&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

What does this mean to a potential reveal of the GT500? Interested to see how Manufacturers deal with the change, a one year issue.
Nothing. GT500 will have been revealed by the time this change takes effect. Whether it’s revealed in Detroit at NAIAS 2019 in January or NYIAS in March or at an off-show circuit event, which is happening a lot more these days.

Shouldn’t mean anything. No impact on 2019 Detroit show in jan. I actually like it long term though. There are a lot of shows from January through April. But really no major shows during summer.
Long term effect will be interesting. The way the International Auto Show Circuit was choreographed we used to be able to predict better what was gonna show up when and where. The season started in September / October with Paris (even years) and Frankfurt (odd years). All the German brands introduced their new products at either of those shows. Especially Frankfurt, where each of the German brands have their own building.

Then LA comes in November. Lately all the electric vehicles and other high fuel economy models would be introduced. GM and Ford would also make “secondary” introductions there. What I mean by secondary is, suppose Corvette is the anticipated big launch for GM. That would be done at Detroit NAIAS. So LA would get something like the new Enclave as an introduction. Porsche has also done major launches there, since California is Porsches largest single market. It outsells most countries for Porsche.

Detroit NAIAS is then the next big show, except for the past several years it has had to compete with electric vehicle and autonomous vehicle press conferences at CES. Any of the big truck intros will happen there. 2018 we saw Silverado. 2017 was Ram. Year before that was F-150. Toyota tends to split their big reveals between Detroit and New York. If they have new Lexus and Toyo ta, Lexus happens at Detroit, Toyota at NYC.

Next is Geneva where the ultra luxury and super cars get launched. I’ve attended Rolls Royce, Bentley, McLaren, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, and Mercedes AMG launches at Geneva.

New York is next in line. Lately it’s been getting more big launches. New York is always a good option for launching Mustangs. I think the 64 1/2.

The question is, will moving put Detroit / NAIAS at the start of the circuit or at the end? If it is at the end, it will be totally irrelevant. But there might be too much pressure from Paris / Frankfurt to keep the starting position. Shanghai / Beijing is also in there somewhere. They alternate like Paris / Frankfurt, but I forget which is odd years and which is even. Last Chinese show I went to was Beijing and I can’t remember if it was two or three years ago.

I read it that beginning in 2020 the show will move to June. So that leaves the 2019 show being held in January as usual. It could be canceled but I don't think they'd go that long without a show.
Not a snowball’s chance in hell January 2019 will be cancelled. People are crashing deadlines as we speak to pull off the show. It is a bit disappointing because several automakers have already said they are not coming. Their cancellations were done with enough lead time to NOT have to still pay for their booth rentals. Big brand cancellations are part of the reason for the move in the first place. But Detroit isn’t the only one getting cancellations. Geneva and Paris have already had a few cancellations for their upcoming shows.

Last edited:

Sponsored

A Faster Horse

Strongest Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Even if it is revealed tomorrow, the GT500 has taken way too long to develop. It would have to be an insanely special car to live up the hype at this point, and I just dont see that happening.
The car is at least a year or two past its prime debut. Unless Ford is going to account for newer competition like the demon or maybe even a new Z28 Camaro and tune the car for more power and capabilities, I don't see it being that special if or when it finally debut in 2019.

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
My faith the the performance, capabilities and standing within the current muscle cars that have and more importantly are being produced has been GREATLY lowered, I STRONGLY think it will NOT meet the hype, imho. :-(

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ok?
yz4bcevkqkqmzu4bjgsx.gif