OP
tom_sprecher

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
My wife, both kids and a friend said "It's too quiet", even after adding the x-pipe. I agreed and did something about it.

Plus, after building two race cars I HAVE to do something to this car. :crazy:
Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I started out with h pipe, then added 2 resonators to h pipe, then x pipe, now on a muffled x pipe. Also about to switch axlebacks as the LM 2's are too loud. I am switching to FRPP/Borla. Don't make the same mistakes as I & others have. Loud isn't not necessarily better. For the record x pipes sound better with straight thru mufflers so I vote for Roush.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
X pipe and Roush Axleback is what I have. Love it and honestly its got quieter since I put it on.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
X pipe and Roush Axleback is what I have. Love it and honestly its got quieter since I put it on.
Do NOT go with any kind of cat delete with the above combo!

Ask me why...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Classic late model mustang conditioning...must change/buy something to customize MY stang. They sound and perform great stock. Lol.
The stock sound is way too tame for 2015-2017 model years...you can't hear the exhaust with the windows down while the car is moving. The 18 is a significant improvement even without the active exhaust.

Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
So last month I picked up a set of Borla S-type axle backs off E bay for $659 shipped when they had one of their 15% up to $100 off days. Many thanks Nagare!

Yesterday was a nice cool day (for mid-July in Atlanta) and we installed them in the garage using jack stands. It was pretty easy since having already installed an FRPP x-pipe allowed us to drop each side in sections. An abrasive cutoff wheel in a 4" grinder was used to cut the pipes.

Unfortunately we could not get the RH tip to center in the valance cutout. It turned out that when they welded the hanger rod to that muffler it was at the wrong angle. Luckily I have done most of my own work over the past 40 years and have amassed quite a collection of tools which includes an OA torch. Clamped the whole muffler by the rod in the vise, heated it until bright red and bend it with a crescent wrench and some small diameter pipe. Now it lines up perfectly.

The sound is incredible. Less like a muscle car and more like a race car, which is the sound I like coming from a road racing background. The Borla S-type units are not much louder than the stock mufflers/FRPP x-pipe combo until you lean into it. Cold start is definitely louder, but at cruising RPM there is no drone.

Easy on the neighbors, but it will make you smile and turn heads when you push it. Perfect!
+1

I've got the same combo. FRPP X-Pipe w/ Borla S-Type mufflers.

Great combo.
Nice and aggressive when you get on it. It's also so easy to modulate the sound. It can be quiet if you stay out of the throttle. Moderate acceleration (rpm) builds with a nice V8 burble. Really sounds great. Makes me smile. It will let the V8 roar when accelerating hard. Small throttle blips are fun too. Love, love it!!

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm about to go get the Borla's on and swap out the SLP LM2's. I can let you know the sound difference.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got the FRPP/Borla AB on. Now its whisper quiet in the cabin of the car. Finally got the exhaust I've been looking for.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tom_sprecher

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Got the FRPP/Borla AB on. Now its whisper quiet in the cabin of the car. Finally got the exhaust I've been looking for.

Which Borlas?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. Still barks plenty when you get on it, but much quieter in the cabin than the SLP LM2. [MENTION=16078]GTP[/MENTION]

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
If you're not planning on going with Long Tubes and Catless then I'd Go Roush. I had the Pypes on the Car when I bought it and then switched to the Roush. I like them both a lot. With LT's and catless though both are horrible sounding.

When I go catless and with Longtubes I'll be going with an H-pipe and Borla S type/Ford Racing. I Might Consider a Magnaflow Chamber H pipe with something Flowmaster if I can hear it ahead of time and I like it.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
I have an H pipe res delete with stock mufflers. It’s just a tad too loud and raspy for me. I’m going with the FRPP/Borla touring axle backs. They’re ordered but CJs is waiting for them to come in.
I also have an H pipe (lethal performance) with stock mufflers and my car actually got a deeper tone.....not raspy at all when I installed the H pipe. It sounds really nice at startup, but after that is very quite even on acceleration. I too would like a little more volume on acceleration and have been thinking about the FRPP touring by Borla as well. It would be good if you could let me know how yours sounds when you get it installed.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase