Sponsored

16 Camaro A8 2SS for A10 GT now worried about all these engine failures.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Hopefully when I get mine, I won't be able to hear it over the supercharger whine :D
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I feel like mine is "fine " too but still hear the bbq tick when car is on. Really only notice when I'm outside of the car checking mail or something. Do you not hear the tick at all on yours?
Mine has the intermittent tick at idle on cold starts, but there's nothing that's been said about that not being normal behavior. I don't have the 2200rpm rattle that [MENTION=16274]mvfjet[/MENTION] and a few others are experiencing. 4,493 miles on it right now, going to replace oil with PUP 5W-20 at 5K miles and see if there is any change.

My Jeep has legit piston slap on cold starts and my fiancé's CX-5 has DI tick, the Mustang is quieter than both.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
My Subaru has a tick for the last 160k. I beat the sht outta it with no issues. I probably won't even hear it over the stereo and squealing tires.

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
My 2018 also has the rattle at 2k rpms. I came across a statement about the GT350's. This is directly from Ford. I'm guessing since the new 5.0 utilizes the same spray in liners and also uses forged pistons that this is the case for the gen 3 coyote as well. Personally this makes me feel much better about it. The message states the following:

OASIS 2888-

Some 2016 GT350 Mustangs might exhibit Piston Rattle from Idle to 3000 RPM

Some 2016 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from idle-3000 rpm. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
My 2018 also has the rattle at 2k rpms. I came across a statement about the GT350's. This is directly from Ford. I'm guessing since the new 5.0 utilizes the same spray in liners and also uses forged pistons that this is the case for the gen 3 coyote as well....

Yeah, nah.

The 2018 Coyote does use the GT350 Plasma Transfer Wire Arc spray bore, but does NOT get forged pistons. The Coyote uses the cheaper but still pretty durable hypereutectic pistons.

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have had mine in twice now for this

[ame]https://vimeo.com/277346234[/ame]

The first shop said it's normal, I was like wtf. First they said it's not ok then when getting the car they said it is normal they hate listened to another 18. I said how do you know if that one is ok...the answer was meeeh

Anyhow had the car at another dealer yesterday with a good tech. Unfortunately his "master tech" is on vacay. He had the car over the day and listened to another 18 and concluded they don't sound the same. He changed the oil and filter and told me to drive it for a week and if the sound persists(which he thought it would) to book a new appointment. He did say that it sounded like something with the valves. The next step is to open the engine up...

The tech where I bought the car from has listened to the video and he has also concluded that it does not sound normal. This dealer sells more Mustangs than any other dealer in Europe, if he says it's not normal then I think it is a good indication. Unfortunately it is a 600km drive there.

Last edited:

1st time Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt.Auto.Premium.3.55
Delay trade In

2015 GT A6 Paid up..Being New Tranny and Engine Build I decided
to hold off trading in for new 2018 GT...Usually 1st year of any new

rebuild of ANY car, I like to see if the car has any Kinks..Hopefully
these problems on the 2018's are minor.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I have an F-150 that makes a similar noise, particularly on cold starts. 140,000 miles.

V8Stang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT - Race Red
This conversation made me take a video of my engine in a few different scenarios: Cold start (on a 90 degree day), let it idle all the way down to about 750 RPM, then push it to 2000/2200 RPM (25-50% throttle), let it idle down again, and then I take it up to 2500 rpm (again, at 25-50% throttle).

Then a video of the car cruising in forth at about 25-50% throttle at 2000-2500 rpm. Start the video at the 3-minute mark if you don't care to hear me talking about the theories on the issue and addressing my subscribers. I'd love to know what you all think of the sounds you hear in the video.

[ame]
Sponsored