xx

What caused the engine failure?

• Total voters

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
1 more time. Shortblock is like 2000 bucks with the core. Their 2400 credit covers that and billet OPGs. You pay install. You pay 1500 or so out pocket. We’re all trying to save you money and not give Livernois what they want....which is you spending more money at their shop.
This and a lund tune
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
These cars can pull a shit load of timing. That said I have my Ngauge set up to monitor KR values. When a positive number is seen all the red lines come on.

My wife drives the car more than I do. Once I left the 100 octane tune in the car, she put 93 in. She started seeing red lights. Called me up, we loaded the 93 tune and she was good to go!
I didn’t realise you could do that! Excellent tip. Thanks :cheers:

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
How do I do this? Free to PM me, I’ve been wondering about something like this based on Lambda or timing for a while.
I have mine set up to do the same for KR. There is a youtube video that kind of explains how to set it up(for RPM's anyway). It will show you how to go about it. You decide what you want linked to the lights and set your parameters. Can be a pain in the azz though(a lot of trial and error). I set mine up as -.10 for good knock(yellow) and .10 for bad knock(red).

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Z3-cWP1wg4E[/MEDIA]"]

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
Queue j.cole: fool me once shame on you fool me twice can’t put the blame on you.
I would get my car out of their hands and take it to roush in Plymouth. Simply for their incompetency. Or boost controlled performance in Livonia
Plenty of tuning shops in metro Detroit without a spotty past like livernois.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
tumblr_lidvb8UuVI1qcumzlo1_400.gif

OK. Norma Wallace,Dan Millen, Tom Millen, Travis Burelle et al: You are formally invited to eat Jelly donuts while we swap this guys motor for him. (not really).
Of course, you can help if you'd like so you dont feel like private Pyle. We all assume the Livernois crew feels like shit losers that hate their jobs anyway and are going to end up like Travis.
1214209.jpg

Just got a heads up on service motor availability. They are available.
I can host the motor swap at the house. Garage with AC.
Anyone can fly in via SWA to pitch in on weekends or peanut/beer gallery.
OP have a garage?

These fruit cakes fugged up a friends Vette heads and kept the money.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...livernois-refuses-to-reimburse-poor-work.html

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571646

http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-dohc/793106-do-not-ever-go-buy-livernois-please-make-sticky.html

More links with people to PM about their experience with these guys if needed. I wouldn't fan flames if I didn't already know someone personally screwed by these guys.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]8fF6E-AkK0A[/MEDIA]"]
....damn.. that donut looks tasty.

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I have mine set up to do the same for KR. There is a youtube video that kind of explains how to set it up(for RPM's anyway). It will show you how to go about it. You decide what you want linked to the lights and set your parameters. Can be a pain in the azz though(a lot of trial and error). I set mine up as -.10 for good knock(yellow) and .10 for bad knock(red).

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I admit, had I seen the post from the Corvette guy, there is a good chance I would have looked elsewhere. I, too, am giving LMS the benefit of the doubt. They are acutely aware of the issues and problems with the engine. It is my belief to give them the benefit of the doubt.
As stated before, they have skin in the game from a business standpoint and though their customer service in the form of responding quickly leaves much to be desired, the conversations and their comments that they want to get the car fixed as a priority and want me to be satisfied sound good. My salesman, Steve has been very open, honest and understanding.
HOWEVER, if I detect any dishonesty, which I have not, I will be very open on this and other sites. No smearing. I want us all to be happy with the result.
There are other sites I am a member of, plus the local Michigan S550 Mustang Club where problems can be disclosed. But, I am not doing that at this time.
There is still a very real possibility that the issues were not caused by LMS. I did not like the drivability of the tune. Others PMd me stating they did not either, but never had engine issues.

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
I admit, had I seen the post from the Corvette guy, there is a good chance I would have looked elsewhere. I, too, am giving LMS the benefit of the doubt. They are acutely aware of the issues and problems with the engine. It is my belief to give them the benefit of the doubt.
As stated before, they have skin in the game from a business standpoint and though their customer service in the form of responding quickly leaves much to be desired, the conversations and their comments that they want to get the car fixed as a priority and want me to be satisfied sound good. My salesman, Steve has been very open, honest and understanding.
HOWEVER, if I detect any dishonesty, which I have not, I will be very open on this and other sites. No smearing. I want us all to be happy with the result.
There are other sites I am a member of, plus the local Michigan S550 Mustang Club where problems can be disclosed. But, I am not doing that at this time.
There is still a very real possibility that the issues were not caused by LMS. I did not like the drivability of the tune. Others PMd me stating they did not either, but never had engine issues.
Sounds to me like you are warning them here. :lol: I almost bought one of their blocks a year ago.

greengoblin31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang
Everyone on this site has been really helpful in me making the decision on my Guard Green 2015 Mustang GT!

After listening to many of you and taking the advice of contacting other shops, I have decided to stay with Livernois Motorsports.

Here are my reasons:
1) They have my car and I am 550 Miles away.
2) Between the Wednesday conference call and yesterday's discussion with my salesman, I have pretty good clarity on the damage. They could have scoped it.
3) The discount on the forged bottom end is fair. It IS possible the problem is not their fault. I am skeptical about this still, though.
4) Compared to other phone quotes, I am paying at least $1,000 less than at any other shop.
5) They are one of the few shops that use the Magnuson SC on the S550.
6) They know now that IF there is an issue, it is theirs, not Fords.
7) If I sell the car in the future, the future owner can have confidence that it has a forged bottom end and not just another engine. Hopefully, this will allow me to get a fair price in re-sale.
8) LMS is giving me a 1 year warranty on the labor. Parts, no.
9) Perhaps the biggest reason is that they have a reputation to keep, which has suffered recently.
10) This keeps all the mods to one shop. Other shops are already very busy and cannot get to the car until fall.
11) Several of you suggested I get a tune from LUND, Etc. That is still always an option.
12) I've been to LMS several time and have seen the engine building area and it is very clean and organized.

I know a lot of folks think I should move the car, but these issues could come up at another shop, and then what?
damn Bob

I hate to say it but you know the saying goes..

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... you get it. :headbonk:

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
What was the damage you have clarity on?
Sure hope things work out for you, but would not be my choice.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
It appears that it is either a piston ring or damage to the Piston itself. when they disassemble that I'm going to be able to see what actually caused it for sure. However it's unknown if it's a tune issue which Livernois is denying based on all the other cars they've done like mine or gasoline or some problem when the car was originally built and the Boost accelerated the problem.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
Their absence from this thread in my opinion is clear admittance to being a faulty tune.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
At this current time the vehicle is in the shop and is being definitely at the top of our list for priority, it is hard to really say much until the engine is diagnosed to see what exactly has failed but we have several logs that show the tune was actually not the issue in itself, we took the car on several test drives and fixed the only issue we saw at the time. Like stated in previous posts we have done a large number of these exact setups and have never seen engine failure, nor have we had any failures on the 15-17 cars at all, regardless of power. Most likely is that it was poor quality fuel based on what we saw in person vs. what the customer encountered once he got it home to the UP. Being I was not directly involved, the delayed response came from verifying all info before replying to the thread as well. I assure everyone on this thread that we were and are on top of the situation and it taken care of. These cars and how we tune them does allow it to pull timing on their own, but it can only compensate for so much of course. I do apologize for anyone in the past who has had hard times getting the support they need, we always take these matters seriously and have steadily added to our staff to assist in support for our customers and their vehicles and will do our best to further improve in the future as well!

Need4Speed15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Auto
Edit...Ah, not worth going back & forth. Best of luck to the OP with getting his car fixed and sorted out.

Last edited:

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
At this current time the vehicle is in the shop and is being definitely at the top of our list for priority, it is hard to really say much until the engine is diagnosed to see what exactly has failed but we have several logs that show the tune was actually not the issue in itself, we took the car on several test drives and fixed the only issue we saw at the time. Like stated in previous posts we have done a large number of these exact setups and have never seen engine failure, nor have we had any failures on the 15-17 cars at all, regardless of power. Most likely is that it was poor quality fuel based on what we saw in person vs. what the customer encountered once he got it home to the UP. Being I was not directly involved, the delayed response came from verifying all info before replying to the thread as well. I assure everyone on this thread that we were and are on top of the situation and it taken care of. These cars and how we tune them does allow it to pull timing on their own, but it can only compensate for so much of course. I do apologize for anyone in the past who has had hard times getting the support they need, we always take these matters seriously and have steadily added to our staff to assist in support for our customers and their vehicles and will do our best to further improve in the future as well!
Not bashing you, but you keep saying we think it's a bad tank of gas which sounds like sidestepping your responsibility to make this right. Your supercharger your calibration, installed by you and customer complains of car not running right for a while before this happens. You can so easily dismiss as bad gas or a defect that existed before the install you likely will never prove that, so throwing it out there just doesn't lend any credibility to assurance to your customers. What happen to don't worry we'll take care of you by with confidence. Any calibration and setup from reputable dealer should have lots of safety margins built in to handle the possible bad tank of gas.
Sponsored