Sponsored

Gill and intake

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
This is mostly a question of curiosity but the stock grill is more blocked off than not at the intake junction. Is this to prevent aspiration of debris, help with turbulence or perhaps aerodynamics?

There are also aftermarket modifications/grills that open this area up.
Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Who knows the reasoning behind the design, but a ton of us dremel out the honeycomb in the upper grill, or just cut out that portion altogether. We do this so more air is forced in. It also helps lower IAT's.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
This is mostly a question of curiosity but the stock grill is more blocked off than not at the intake junction. Is this to prevent aspiration of debris, help with turbulence or perhaps aerodynamics?

There are also aftermarket modifications/grills that open this area up.
I took a drill and small drill bit and drilled holes very close together around the edge of the diamond shaped holes that were blocked off. I then took a utility knife and cut just the solid part out of the honeycomb part of the grill that is in front of the intake snorkel. You would have to be up close and looking for it to tell any difference in the grill from the left to the right. Could debris get in through the holes....possibly but it wouldn't be anything larger than an insect as the holes aren't very big. You can get filter covers that will keep debris from getting into the filter pleats and also shed any water that may come in as well. I don't know if it helps with power or not.....but I am very sure that my intake air temperature went down about 3 degrees. It always ran 6-7 degrees higher than outside air temperature before at speed, it now runs consistently 3-4 degrees higher. I can't tell any seat of the pants gain , but IMO it can't hurt.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I took a drill and small drill bit and drilled holes very close together around the edge of the diamond shaped holes that were blocked off. I then took a utility knife and cut just the solid part out of the honeycomb part of the grill that is in front of the intake snorkel. You would have to be up close and looking for it to tell any difference in the grill from the left to the right. Could debris get in through the holes....possibly but it wouldn't be anything larger than an insect as the holes aren't very big. You can get filter covers that will keep debris from getting into the filter pleats and also shed any water that may come in as well. I don't know if it helps with power or not.....but I am very sure that my intake air temperature went down about 3 degrees. It always ran 6-7 degrees higher than outside air temperature before at speed, it now runs consistently 3-4 degrees higher. I can't tell any seat of the pants gain , but IMO it can't hurt.
Generally, more air = more power (especially colder air). It definitely can't hurt, unless there's turbulence being created from this. Probably something so minute that we'll never realize or feel.

Like Humphammer said, companies make air intake filter covers if you're worried about debris. JLT has them for their intakes for ~$30 if I recall correctly. Not needed in my opinion though.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
Generally, more air = more power (especially colder air). It definitely can't hurt, unless there's turbulence being created from this. Probably something so minute that we'll never realize or feel.

Like Humphammer said, companies make air intake filter covers if you're worried about debris. JLT has them for their intakes for ~$30 if I recall correctly. Not needed in my opinion though.
JLT is what I got.....you are right you don't have to use one but from using them in the past they will keep your filter much cleaner.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
The short answer is you only want a designed amount of air going through your car.

All that stuff in the engine bay... not very aerodynamic.

High pressure inside & under the car... hope you can grow wings.

You want as much air as possible to flow around the body curves, taking in just enough for the engine and any air-cooling requirements.

But what do the engineers know...?

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
they are blocked off for aero.. look at the gt350 grill.. now how much impact on aero does a few holes make? i dont know lol.. but they didnt block it off to reduce power

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
For all we know, the Engineers did want it open but the Bean Counters didn't like the added production cost. That said, I find no reason for me to dremel open the grille. :ford:
It's injection molded so price comes from material volume. Costs would have been lower to have them open (less material per part), but that might have brought down emissions due to poor aero.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm not touching mine for aero reasons, but I saw that some owners avoided dealing with each honeycomb hole by simply grinding down the backing from the other side. That way the holes are all perfect other than being slightly less deep without the backing which is not noticeable.

Sponsored
OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm just curious since the holes are in such an odd pattern. There has to be a purpose to it.

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Drill it out, shouldnt hurt anything.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You will not realize a single increase in horsepower from opening those up. And the work I've seen from people doing that... let's just say, not great. Haha.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm not wanting to drill it out. I'm just curious about the stock engineering.