Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
^^^ Definitely this, particularly if you'll be applying a ceramic coating.
Yes, you’re right.....

I didn’t as I had already wet sanded my car for 3 days!!! I took my time with 2500 then switched to 3000.....my buddy helped out and showed me how...he has a Hot Rod Shop! I did all the flat and semi flat areas....wasn’t too concerned with the curve of the lower panels, just polished those areas.

I also Ceramic Coated my wheels, in and out! With the addition of carbon brake pads.... they’re a cinch to clean!! Worth the extra effort.
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Removed my broken bumper and stripped all the parts off in anticipation for my new bumper to arrive tomorrow. Went pretty smoothly actually.

download_20180627_220240.jpg
download_20180627_220246.jpg

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
...what product will you use with the polisher ?? I used Menzurna 3000 and loved it on my Black car!! No swirls or any light scratches at all!! And what Ceramic Coating did you choose?? You wil love it!!! Just remember to wear gloves, change the suede cloths often and do in about 3 foot square sections. Good for you for giving it a try, I only wish some of the other guys would just feel more confident with their skills!! Post up the pics...before and after. Then will you apply the reload the next day??

Once you’re done with the coating.... some spray shine will be needed from time to time. ECH2O is an excellent product and goes a long way!! I use it with some reload for that extra “POP” at the shows! I mix it up in a plain bottle and when asked “what is it.” ? I say..Secret Shit!! lol:cheers::cheers:

Ooops I forgot....you’ll need the teaser also after you polish..maybe even a wash then Eraser, that’s what I did. You want to make sure you’ve got a virgin to work with!! I used CQuartz UK ...now they have a CQuartz 3 I believe???
Decided I'm just going to wax for now until I educate myself a bit more on ceramic. Plus I enjoy waxing/detailing the Mustang. I am getting a daily in a few months and make that my ceramic guinea pig. If all goes well I'll ceramic the Mustang next Spring.

Used Adams Iron Remover, Mothers clay kit, polish will be Adams One Step polishing with orange pad followed by another round with their white pad. Adams Buttrey Wax then top with Brilliant Glaze.

Last edited:

Shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO Mustang GT
Adams is all I use, actually I think I have almost every one of their products.
Great products, especially Butter wax and Brilliant glaze.

CRUM178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
@emericA243 where'd you get the fog light splitters? Angrystallion doesn't make them anymore so I hope that isn't the answer!

And how about the extra rocker ones?

Car looks great.
Looks like that's the Steeda Fascia. A cheaper route would be getting the MMD Fog Light Splitters from American Muscle. An even cheaper route would be buying splitters through Aliexpress. Just search for "2015 mustang eyelid"

Sponsored

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Decided I'm just going to wax for now until I educate myself a bit more on ceramic. Plus I enjoy waxing/detailing the Mustang. I am getting a daily in a few months and make that my ceramic guinea pig. If all goes well I'll ceramic the Mustang next Spring.

Used Adams Iron Remover, Mothers clay kit, polish will be Adams One Step polishing with orange pad followed by another round with their white pad. Adams Buttrey Wax then top with Brilliant Glaze.
Yes, Adams is amazing products!! I concur!!

Aaahhh...I’m disappointed! If you can prep your car yourself, as described.... you can apply Ceramic Coating! I’ve been in this hobby since ‘89 !! (Yes, I’m old! ) once you go Ceramic, you’ll never go back. Personally I’ve got way more fun things to do than wax all the time!! So when you do decide to come over to the “Dark Side” ....you’ll have to go thru all the same process you’ve just done?? Ceramics is all encompassing...easier to keep clean, hydrophobic, and looks like glass.....because...it is!! My outlay overall was $150 for all products... that’s it for about 2yrs.

This is included in the Brilliant Wax description...

We've improved the durability - our previous formula lacked durability, lasting a week if not less. The new formula will hold up about twice as long, up to 2 weeks or more, meaning fewer applications to maintain that shine.

So you’ll be doing this every 2 weeks???? Good luck and post up the “Before/After pics.

I must say though...my buddy has Ruby Red 17 model and I love the color, especially in the sun!! Another pal is waiting for his Royal Crimson 18 GT ! I’ll help him with CQuartz UK 3.0 Coating!! Prep should be simple on a new car.
:cheers::cheers:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like that's the Steeda Fascia. A cheaper route would be getting the MMD Fog Light Splitters from American Muscle. An even cheaper route would be buying splitters through Aliexpress. Just search for "2015 mustang eyelid"
Nah, that one isn't Steeda's. Theirs is fully integrated and goes out over the bumper instead of ending inside with the fog light, also a tad thinner. Check this pic out to compare some.

He went on to post in some other threads so I'm guessing he isn't going to answer here though, kinda like how this one doesn't go over.

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, Adams is amazing products!! I concur!!

Aaahhh...I’m disappointed! If you can prep your car yourself, as described.... you can apply Ceramic Coating! I’ve been in this hobby since ‘89 !! (Yes, I’m old! ) once you go Ceramic, you’ll never go back. Personally I’ve got way more fun things to do than wax all the time!! So when you do decide to come over to the “Dark Side” ....you’ll have to go thru all the same process you’ve just done?? Ceramics is all encompassing...easier to keep clean, hydrophobic, and looks like glass.....because...it is!! My outlay overall was $150 for all products... that’s it for about 2yrs.

This is included in the Brilliant Wax description...

We've improved the durability - our previous formula lacked durability, lasting a week if not less. The new formula will hold up about twice as long, up to 2 weeks or more, meaning fewer applications to maintain that shine.

So you’ll be doing this every 2 weeks???? Good luck and post up the “Before/After pics.

I must say though...my buddy has Ruby Red 17 model and I love the color, especially in the sun!! Another pal is waiting for his Royal Crimson 18 GT ! I’ll help him with CQuartz UK 3.0 Coating!! Prep should be simple on a new car.
:cheers::cheers:
So I decided to ceramic after all. 7hrs later of claying polishing polishing prepping and ceramic and its all done. No pics since my garage is detached and has no real lighting in it. They will have to wait until this weekend

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you guys are polishing for the ceramic, it's not a true polish that actually removes surface correct? More of a cleaner polish like the old meguiers three step crystal? Are you doing it by hand?

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
When you guys are polishing for the ceramic, it's not a true polish that actually removes surface correct? More of a cleaner polish like the old meguiers three step crystal? Are you doing it by hand?
Skip the meguires 3 step. Get a good quality polish and start with the least aggressive pad and get more aggressive as you need to. You need to remove some surface (clearcoat) to bring the surface back to being swirl free and also knock down the edges of any deep scratches that can't be polished out.

You want the surface to look smooth and swirl free because whatever the surface looks like before ceramic is the surface quality your left with after it's applied as it "locks it in" for lack of a better term.

Also someone who does this for a living will use a paint/clearcoat thickness guage to see how much clear is there and how much can be removed and so forth. You'll never do as good as a job as someone who has a shop and does this for a living. So depends how picky you are and how deep your pockets are. There's a reason full paint correction + application of ceramic will run you anywhere from 600-1000$ depending on how bad your paint quality is.

Iirc some/most professionals use higher quality ceramic coatings that are harder to apply and take moderate skill and aren't recommended for the diyer.

Sponsored

Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
Skip the meguires 3 step. Get a good quality polish and start with the least aggressive pad and get more aggressive as you need to. You need to remove some surface (clearcoat) to bring the surface back to being swirl free and also knock down the edges of any deep scratches that can't be polished out.

You want the surface to look smooth and swirl free because whatever the surface looks like before ceramic is the surface quality your left with after it's applied as it "locks it in" for lack of a better term.

Also someone who does this for a living will use a paint/clearcoat thickness guage to see how much clear is there and how much can be removed and so forth. You'll never do as good as a job as someone who has a shop and does this for a living. So depends how picky you are and how deep your pockets are. There's a reason full paint correction + application of ceramic will run you anywhere from 600-1000$ depending on how bad your paint quality is.

Iirc some/most professionals use higher quality ceramic coatings that are harder to apply and take moderate skill and aren't recommended for the diyer.
I'm getting my car in August, I plan to ceramic coat it asap after that, do you suggest doing the full polishing or can I get away with just the clay bar and iron treating? Since the car will be brand new and all...

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've not used Megs 3 step in years. I was referring to the polish in the set that was basically a paint cleaner with extremely mild abrasive. The reason I ask is that many of us aren't at a point where aggressive polishing should be needed and a diy kit could go wrong pretty quick with a buffer and polish compound on a newer car.

What I have been doing on cars with well cared for paint was about every year use clay, synthetic wax and then a carnauba top coat. With maybe some mild polishing like with scratch X before the synthetic.

I think you can go overboard on a newer finish. I guess what I am trying to understand is if ceramic will work well after clay and hand polishing with something mild? (Given a car with less than 5K on the odometer.)

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It'll work fine on anything as long as the surface is clean. The polish or whatever else you do is just to make sure the surface is as clear of defects as possible because once you put that coating on, any swirls will be highlighted.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Swapped my starter button out (again...)

Swapped the GT350 button for this Power button a couple of days ago and really loving it so far. The anodised aluminium feels classy, it's like I'm starting up a totally different animal now.

My car is daily driven so the button gets a tonne of use every day and I'm still getting over how polished and refined it feels. The power is what drew me to the Mustang so I really like that they've engraved "Power" with the Ford GT font instead of the boring "Engine Start/Stop" that's on every other car out there. When I realised the New Ford GT had a red anodised aluminium button like this one when I'd seen it at Ford Fair I had to get one. Very happy with how it fits and quality is amazing, I tried the GT350 button again for kicks and it was a significant downgrade.

Just wanted to share the love on a new product you guys may not know about :)!

Also if anyone wants to buy a lightly used GT350 button, make me an offer. lol
35285784_10160972890625455_1374759120950788096_o.jpg

35460459_10160972889625455_5275136471408312320_n.jpg

35416391_10160972889825455_3670372059231289344_n.jpg

35330184_10160972889945455_1794952702279548928_n.jpg

35247214_10160972890060455_5164658500827086848_n.jpg

35399203_10160972890170455_1413141177795870720_n.jpg

35482239_10160972890305455_365501102709276672_n.jpg

35382348_10160972890400455_6237730022166102016_n.jpg

35287771_10160972890540455_5647305605333909504_n.jpg

Ordered my carbon black one a day or so ago...looking forward to receiving it.

In other news, sent MPT a data-log of my 91PRX tune for revisions. The car is running rich based on an average lambse number of 0.8532 over a 3rd gear pull from 2k to 6.5k RPM.

Anyone here who knows anything about tuning and wants to look at my data-log...PM me. I am curious as to what other refinements could be used.

I think I will switch tunes tonight and upload the 87-89 PRX tune I received...just to see if there is any real difference.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Were the items delivered, and were they installed?

Removed my broken bumper and stripped all the parts off in anticipation for my new bumper to arrive tomorrow. Went pretty smoothly actually.

download_20180627_220240.jpg
download_20180627_220246.jpg
Sponsored