Sponsored

Alignment issues or inadequate alignment shop?

Slow6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 401A PP1
Just got my car back from the alignment shop, since I had just finished installing a set of Eibach Sportline Springs and sways, with less than preferred results.
I was told they were unable to do any type of alignment for two reasons:

1. The camber bolts were installed facing the wrong direction (ok, that one is 100% me.:headbonk:)
  2. The rear camber was way off and they "couldn't" set the alignment.

My question is, from the forum search that I've done, I'm led to believe that the rear camber is adjustable from the factory. Would this mean that the shop I went to was inadequate?

In addition I got the following alignment check results:

Front Caster:
9.7* L
9.9* R

Front Camber:
-1.4*L
-.03 R

Front Toe:
-1/16" L
-1/32" R
Total -3/32"

Rear Camber:
-3.8* L
-1.2* R

Rear Toe:
1/16" L
1/32" R
Total 3/32

Other than the front caster being (seemingly) out of spec, is there anything else of concern? I'm new to suspension set-up and have tried my best with the search function. Input is appreciated!
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
they should at least be able to get them even left to right. even if you end up with more camber than you had before. should not be 2 degrees off from one side to the other

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Front camber isn't even at all, I think you'd want somewhere around -1.2 to -1.5 left and right.

For the rear camber, they didn't try anything if the left is at -3.8, that's terrible. Again, you'd probably want these somewhere around -1.2 to -1.5 but I'll let someone else chip in on good alignment specs.

I would recommend calling around to some "performance" alignment shops and stating on the phone that you have a lowered 2017 Mustang that you want a 4 wheel alignment for. Most guys will be upfront and say they don't work on lowered cars or don't know Mustangs too well so they recommend going somewhere else.

OP
OP
Slow6

Slow6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 401A PP1
Front camber isn't even at all, I think you'd want somewhere around -1.2 to -1.5 left and right.

For the rear camber, they didn't try anything if the left is at -3.8, that's terrible. Again, you'd probably want these somewhere around -1.2 to -1.5 but I'll let someone else chip in on good alignment specs.

I would recommend calling around to some "performance" alignment shops and stating on the phone that you have a lowered 2017 Mustang that you want a 4 wheel alignment for. Most guys will be upfront and say they don't work on lowered cars or don't know Mustangs too well so they recommend going somewhere else.
I have the same thoughts. They openly admitted that they didn't do anything at all because they "couldn't"

I was going with semi-conservative alignment specs, again from what I was able to search:

-1.75 front camber
0* front toe

-1.5 rear camber
.1* rear toe

but again my biggest concern is the front caster. Is that even a problem or should I not even worry?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
TL;DR - find another alignment shop.

Rear camber is adjustable, but the adjustment is pretty 'stealth'. There are no markings on the bolt in question and its pretty deep up in there in an unexpected location.

To be fair, I knew it was adjustable, and still had a tough time finding it with my mechanic friend. The other mechanics I've used for alignments have found that bolt without drama or 'giving up'.

Short answer is ya, they aren't knowledgeable about S550 mustangs, and didn't attempt to educate themselves on the topic. They also could have corrected your front camber bolts if they are indeed backwards, but they didn't do that either, did they?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slow6

Slow6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 401A PP1
Nope. They didn't adjust a single thing. The camber bolts are easy enough to do at home. Just a mild inconvenience.

I did more searching and found a few alignment shops that I'm gunna try out. Probably West End since i saw it come up often.

But that caster. anyone with insight?

TommyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/Performance pack, 2017 Challenger Mopar eddition, & 1985 Mustang SVO
Vehicle Showcase
Go to Bear Frame & wheel in Glendora. I also have Sportline springs and they put everything back to factory specs. No extra parts needed. 100 bucks and 1 hour wait. I swear they will set things right.

RS30061

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Roush RS3 auto
Nope. They didn't adjust a single thing. The camber bolts are easy enough to do at home. Just a mild inconvenience.

I did more searching and found a few alignment shops that I'm gunna try out. Probably West End since i saw it come up often.

But that caster. anyone with insight?
Don’t worry about the caster, it’s fine. The more you have the easier it is for the steering wheel to “center itself” which also aids your strait line stability. BTW, you always, always, want positive caster.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The rear bolts are not excentric, so the adjustability will not be that much.

I have had some issues myself getting a correct adjustment. Just to get the freaking problem out of my mind I am thinking of new adjustable camber arms and front camber bolts. Not really needed for a street car.... and quite expensive to get the parts and get it done here in Sweden.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The rear bolts are not excentric, so the adjustability will not be that much.

I have had some issues myself getting a correct adjustment. Just to get the freaking problem out of my mind I am thinking of new adjustable camber arms and front camber bolts. Not really needed for a street car.... and quite expensive to get the parts and get it done here in Sweden.
The bolts aren’t eccentric but the mount hole on the cradle is slotted. SLIDE the bolt within the slot and achieve adjustment. It’s shit and it’s one of the reasons I moved to Steedas adjustable arms.

Ghostang321

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Just got an alignment after lowering Springs and the tech said "I did my best. Your car is done. It's safe to drive."
I have 90 days realignment and am thinking I'll do the camber myself with a digital torpedo level and take it back for them to just do toe. He didn't use a torque wrench after any adjustments and I don't trust he will if I have them make changes. What camber would y'all go with if this is your starting point? He said rear is maxed, but only tried the passenger side once I showed him where the adjustment is made.
20200113_174414.jpg

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just got an alignment after lowering Springs and the tech said "I did my best. Your car is done. It's safe to drive."
I have 90 days realignment and am thinking I'll do the camber myself with a digital torpedo level and take it back for them to just do toe. He didn't use a torque wrench after any adjustments and I don't trust he will if I have them make changes. What camber would y'all go with if this is your starting point? He said rear is maxed, but only tried the passenger side once I showed him where the adjustment is made.
20200113_174414.jpg
Your rear camber isn’t actually all that bad in the scheme of things. Depends what you’re aiming for really. The catch with adjusting the camber DIY is that as soon as they move the toe, there will be some variation in the camber. The two are linked to some extent.
I’d be happy with anywhere from -1.8 to -2.2 for a street driven car with less focus on absolute cornering ability. Everything you do will be a trade-off in one way or another.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
West End was great when I went, especially after trying to use local dealerships. They'll talk to you about how you're using the car and tailor the alignment. Definitely worth the drive down for me.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I had to go to 4 places before I could find an alignment shop willing and capable of doing the work. Call around. There will be somewhere better than can help.
Sponsored