Sponsored

2018 Transmission 6 speed manual vs. 10 speed automatic

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
You must be a younger person or never drove older performance vehicles with a clutch if you think modern Mustang clutches are not light. Heck, it seems like 1/2 the people on this forum remove the assist spring or put a lighter one on because they believe it improves the clutch feel.
Yep! My stock brand new 69 351, 88 5.0, and 2001 GT were not light clutches even though I was much younger and stronger then. My 15 GT PP clutch was much lighter but maybe not "small engine import type of light" since I haven't driven one in a long time. The problem with the 15's clutch was modulation for smooth "don't make the passenger's neck hurt launches" in traffic took much more attention than any previous manual car I've owned. Pedal effort even for an old out of shape guy was no problem. I haven't driven an 18 manual.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yep those on YouTube, guys not being able to find 3/4 th, some aluminum breaking and transmissions on back order
It's one f@#king guy on Youtube, and he posted a thread here bragging about how he beat the hell out of his transmission, and got flamed in it. He bragged about how he no-lift shifted, gorilla-shifted, and posted that Ford should assume that owners would beat the hell out of their transmissions.

The guy broke his own transmission. There's no issues with the MT82-4 that aren't the fault of the owners......so far.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The automatic is a paddle shift gearbox.

If you're the type of guy who drives his automatic in manual mode most/all of the time, then consider if you can live with paddles.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the 10SPD can be put in "D" and driven like any other automatic transmission. You don't have to use the paddles.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
That's the thing with manuals, one says its hard to launch other says it's easy to launch etc etc etc. Since it's a manual that's often due to how experienced a person is with driving manual.

If an inexperienced person can't launch a specific car or can't find the engagement point easially is that due to the clutch ? Some cars are easier to learn that's true.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That's the thing with manuals, one says its hard to launch other says it's easy to launch etc etc etc. Since it's a manual that's often due to how experienced a person is with driving manual.

If an inexperienced person can't launch a specific car or can't find the engagement point easially is that due to the clutch ? Some cars are easier to learn that's true.
The biggest flaw with the MT82 is the clutch pedal, it has 0 feed-back which makes feeling the engagement point and launching more difficult.

Some have replaced the clutch assist spring with a lighter spring, or removed it all-together, to get some feel in the pedal. I've done both, and there's no improvement in feel through the pedal, it's just heavier without the OEM assist spring.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Nothing seems to get people arguing on car forums more than transmissions. :)

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
People who buy the automatics are the same ones who look for the closest parking spot to the entrance of the gym so they don't have to walk so far to get in...

/QUOTE]

Well that's quite a inane statement. There are many reasons folks buy an Automatic, and I expect your musing doesn't apply at all in their reasoning.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the 10SPD can be put in "D" and driven like any other automatic transmission. You don't have to use the paddles.
:D :thumbsup: :clap2:

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
You must be a younger person or never drove older performance vehicles with a clutch if you think modern Mustang clutches are not light. Heck, it seems like 1/2 the people on this forum remove the assist spring or put a lighter one on because they believe it improves the clutch feel.
Yes. When working properly, they're very light.
That's great it's lighter than the car you owned in the 1800s... I expect it to be. But in the modern era, the clutch in the Mustang is heavy compared to the competition.

I guess I should have prefaced my argument by saying it's all relative. Coming from a VW, the Mustang clutch is definitely heavier. It just depends on what you have driven in the past.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Nothing seems to get people arguing on car forums more than transmissions. :)
And the front end of the 18!

If you're too lazy to change gear and live in areas with a lot of traffic buy an auto. If you want something that will require more effort but provides greater rewards buy a manual.

Ultimately everytime someone buys an auto they are putting another nail in the manual coffin which is a shame as there are lots of options for those who want an auto and do it better than the 10 speed, such as Porsche etc.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
That's great it's lighter than the car you owned in the 1800s... I expect it to be. But in the modern era, the clutch in the Mustang is heavy compared to the competition.

I guess I should have prefaced my argument by saying it's all relative. Coming from a VW, the Mustang clutch is definitely heavier. It just depends on what you have driven in the past.
The Mustang clutch is definitely not heavy, you need to get down the gym if you think it is. I removed the assist spring because it is was too light and lacked feel, as have many others. My old BMW M3 had a heavier clutch.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I drove a friend's newly purchased 16 2SS over the weekend and the clutch on that car could be operated by a toddler. It's much lighter than the Mustang's.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Modern era huh? :)

Regarding the VW comment, that's why I said "performance". I realize that low power front wheel drive econoboxes have lighter clutches. I've had the misfortune to drive and even own some, so I know what it is like.

The clutch pedal in a Mustang still seems super light to me. Your arguments haven't convinced me that there's a problem. I agree it's all relative. I'm a bigger guy. I assume if you are a small person the clutch feels heavier to you.
Sponsored