Sponsored

New Owner - Leather Seat Lower Back Pain Question

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I have a non surgical sports ortho I see regularly plus a few friends that are PTs. The sports orthos are very different. I train hard and do OCR races. So I'm always repairing my body. :)

But most of the time back pain can be fixed through a proper strength training program.
Right on.
Sponsored

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
I’ve had around 25 cars in my 50 years of driving and had back and/or leg pain adjusting to most of them in the initial weeks. However my 2017 Mustang has been adjustment and pain free. At 68 something hurts everyday but sitting behind the wheel is a place of comfort and bliss!
I truly hope your pains will diminish as your body adjusts.
I hear ya buddy! I’m 68 also and know about something hurting every day. I have back issues that were definately helped when I took an hour long test drive in a 2018 which led to my 2019 order. The comfort of the seating and ride is much better than my current 2012 Brembo GT.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the replies everyone. I do have lower back issues to begin with. I've been to ortho doctors before, had an MRI, and have been to PT. There wasn't much evidence of skeletal or disc issue, but more of just a weak lower back. PT seemed to help while I was doing it.

I am still hopeful for just overcoming the adjustment period. I really should look into exercises I can do for my back at home, for just improving overall health, not necessarily just for this Mustang. I think my insurance covers a certain number of PT sessions a year so maybe I will research that more.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies everyone. I do have lower back issues to begin with. I've been to ortho doctors before, had an MRI, and have been to PT. There wasn't much evidence of skeletal or disc issue, but more of just a weak lower back. PT seemed to help while I was doing it.

I am still hopeful for just overcoming the adjustment period. I really should look into exercises I can do for my back at home, for just improving overall health, not necessarily just for this Mustang. I think my insurance covers a certain number of PT sessions a year so maybe I will research that more.
As others have posted - start a strength training program. You don't have to be a gym rat. If you want to get rid of your pain in your back (and you don't have disc issues etc) you need to strengthen your core. Simple exercises will do it. That and a few different stretches you do everyday and you could likely get rid of the vast majority of your back pain - especially lower back.

Squats and other core exercises (study correct form and don't worry about how much you are lifting) and you'll be surprised how your back will feel. I had chronic lower back pain after 15 years of competitive sports and then the Army. 3 days a week, simply core exercises and stretches, can't tell you the last time my lower back bothered me.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
As others have posted - start a strength training program. You don't have to be a gym rat. If you want to get rid of your pain in your back (and you don't have disc issues etc) you need to strengthen your core. Simple exercises will do it. That and a few different stretches you do everyday and you could likely get rid of the vast majority of your back pain - especially lower back.

Squats and other core exercises (study correct form and don't worry about how much you are lifting) and you'll be surprised how your back will feel. I had chronic lower back pain after 15 years of competitive sports and then the Army. 3 days a week, simply core exercises and stretches, can't tell you the last time my lower back bothered me.
This.

I discovered I had my L5 vertebrae slipped fwd about 1cm or so when I was dealing with some back pain, and finally decided to go see someone about it. So my L5 is destroying the disk between L5 and S1, so I get lots of pain from that. It didn't start bothering me until about 3 years ago, and I didn't even realize I had it.

After the slow walk toward surgery physical therapy has actually helped me deal with the pain by core strengthening, and I've put the surgery off for now. I have to admit it's easier to deal with it now.

I was worried about the car, but after adjusting and programming #1 to be exactly where I need it I'm fine. Getting out of the car is a bit difficult, but easier now that I've been doing these exercises.

It's mostly about "planking". I get on my elbows like I'm going to do push-ups and instead just hold it as long as I can. I do the same thinks on each side on one elbow. I do this about three times a week and I can tell I have an easier time with stability.

Sponsored

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Thank you everybody!
This thread has served to remind me why I go to the gym 3 days a week.
I'll be back there tomorrow but with renewed focus and vigour having shaken off the encroaching boredom of my routines .
Much appreciated

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I notice the seats in the Mustang even with lumbar support all the way turned off, there is still slight lumbar support.
I am the only person don't like lumbar support.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
If you have back pain from sitting down, you need to do more than just sit down.
With respect Tater, while I agree with you in some situations exercise won't do a thing for a ruptured disc. Ask me how I know. :D

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
If you have back pain from sitting down, you need to do more than just sit down.
Hard to do anything else when you're driving 90 in 5th. ;)

Everyone's different. My key is to keep moving. I can't stand OR sit too long. I have to change what I'm doing. Walking helps a ton. So does all of the various exercises they've given me to get my back out of a jam when I start to feel it tightening up.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I notice the seats in the Mustang even with lumbar support all the way turned off, there is still slight lumbar support.
I am the only person don't like lumbar support.
I would rather not use it either, if it stuck out any more, ( from totally no air in the bladder) I would have to get dif. seats.....

Sponsored

Taterbootz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP. 2014 Focus Sport SE.
For all if you with back pain, look up Dr Stuar McGill and his books.

Taterbootz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP. 2014 Focus Sport SE.
With respect Tater, while I agree with you in some situations exercise won't do a thing for a ruptured disc. Ask me how I know. :D
I agree. There are certain things you can’t cure. But I’d recommend a reverse hyper and some of the exercises Dr Stuart McGill recommends. He specializes in spinal injuries, and other than the most severe, can be corrected to a point of almost non issue.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I have called to set up physical therapy appointments, I am just waiting to hear how many sessions my insurance will partially cover for the year. They said they will contact the doctor I saw to get medical info and the PT he recommended. Again, the doctor at the time said it was just a muscular issue so I am hopeful. I still have not found the sweet spot in the seats.

One thing that is interesting is that I do not have pain back when riding my motorcycle.

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Hello all. I just purchased a new leftover 2017 Mustang GT Premium yesterday and I have a question about the seats.
Is the car a manual? If so, try to position the seat to where when you fully press in the clutch your butt isn’t moving forward or up off the back of the seat at all while sitting up straight. Might be doing that without knowing it- I was.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Is the car a manual? If so, try to position the seat to where when you fully press in the clutch your butt isn’t moving forward or up off the back of the seat at all while sitting up straight. Might be doing that without knowing it- I was.
It is a manual. I don't think I am moving when stepping on the clutch but I will verify. Thanks.

I keep trying to remember how I sat in the Focus and trying to match that. I daily drove it for 6 years, you'd think I'd be able to remember something like that.
Sponsored