Small issue but Big implications

Deeplakes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
17 GT/CS Convertible
While doing yesterday my wife says to me “is that part supposed to be hanging off like that.”

I look to see the puddle light hanging from the passenger side by its wires.

On pulling over and unplugging the light it was clear the flex catch part of the light had snapped right off.

The car is a year old.

So went in for an oil change today and went over to the service receptionist and explained what happened and would like a new one under warranty

The reply “ It broke so it’s not covered”

Yes, it broke and that is why it should be covered.

“Well, we will not cover it”

I ended up going to parts and ordering one, not worth the argument

However

What if this was a really expensive part?

On the word of this grumpy person who really appears to hate her job, is this the judge and jury of what should and should not be covered?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say it is a matter of how it broke. If you hit something and your bumper tab breaks, obviously they won't cover that. The first time mine popped out, nothing had touched it at all and that was clear because there was absolutely no cosmetic marring at all.

I'm not sure how that could happen for the puddle light without something hitting it (isn't it secured in the mirror?). If nothing really happened on your end (doubtful, but passenger side things take longer to notice for me), it might be worth speaking to a proper Service Advisor or manager.

You don't ever have to take just what the lowest person says, you can fight it all you want on up to Ford Corporate to address.

OP
OP
Deeplakes

Deeplakes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
17 GT/CS Convertible
The only way possible to break the snap catch is during removal or installation.

Since I never removed the part it must have cracked when it was put together and it has taken a year of bumping around to crack thru.

It was just not worth the aggravation to fight this but she did not even know what the part was and made this judgement call...that crazy

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It should have been covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, if you are still within the warranty provisions.

If the tab was broken during assembly, I’d suspect it would have come out much sooner.

Is your car parked outside? If so, it’s quite possible someone wanted a Pony projection light of their own...

Regardless, the Dealer should have warranteed it.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
While doing yesterday my wife says to me “is that part supposed to be hanging off like that.”

I look to see the puddle light hanging from the passenger side by its wires.

On pulling over and unplugging the light it was clear the flex catch part of the light had snapped right off.

The car is a year old.

So went in for an oil change today and went over to the service receptionist and explained what happened and would like a new one under warranty

The reply “ It broke so it’s not covered”

Yes, it broke and that is why it should be covered.

“Well, we will not cover it”

I ended up going to parts and ordering one, not worth the argument

However

What if this was a really expensive part?

On the word of this grumpy person who really appears to hate her job, is this the judge and jury of what should and should not be covered?
That's called the "dealer never to do business with again", find the store manager and explain why he lost your business due to a grumpy asshat who didn't even check to see if it was covered.

It helps if you've purchased more than one new car from them in the past. If they want your continued business they need to show they care, or buh bye.

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I wonder if someone was trying to pinch it off you? Broke it trying?

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I can never understand these dealers who won't even file the warranty claim. It is not their decision to make. They should submit the waranty claim and let Ford make the decision. Go to another dealer. I had the same issue when I my 2011 had hood corrosion. One dealer was an ass, and did not want to be bothered. I had a big argument with the service manager. I brought it somewhere else (Salerno Duane in NJ - an excellent dealer for service) they took pics, got it covered, gave me a loaner, did the work and I was happy.

Falcon01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost Premium PP Manual
I can never understand these dealers who won't even file the warranty claim. It is not their decision to make. They should submit the waranty claim and let Ford make the decision. Go to another dealer. I had the same issue when I my 2011 had hood corrosion. One dealer was an ass, and did not want to be bothered. I had a big argument with the service manager. I brought it somewhere else (Salerno Duane in NJ - an excellent dealer for service) they took pics, got it covered, gave me a loaner, did the work and I was happy.
Which dealer did you have a bad experience with? Trying to see who to stay away from.

I've never gotten my car serviced at Salerno Duane, but have numerous bad sales experiences with them. In fact, I now stay away from them because of those issues.

I now go to Beyer Ford for my service needs. They've been really good to me so far, although I've already had to bring my car in 3 times, and the fourth visit will likely happen shortly!
Sponsored