Sponsored

Decklid Scratches

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Does anyone know how to remove fine scratches and swirls from the rear decklid.
Let me clarify my above original reply in this thread, because based on the OP’s original question, apparently “decklid” to ME is referring to the trunk lid (ie: decklid).

Now that I see everyone is referring to the rear trunk lid BLACK panel appliqué found between the taillights affixed to the decklid, the OP might want to try to use corrective plastic polish that is used on motorcycle windscreens, parts, helmets, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-MC20506-Motorcycle-Plastic-Cleaner/dp/B00C7ON2G6

OR this (product review shows before and after pics):
https://www.webbikeworld.com/glare-spider-review/

https://www.webbikeworld.com/kleer-plastic-cleaner-polish/
Sponsored

Last edited:

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like I will be putting my Ford Performance panel off the 15' onto the 18'. Glad I kept it.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Can anyone positively confirm its black plastic, and not painted cleared gloss black on the '18? Mine was a disaster when I picked it up, but hand polishing with a clear coat safe polish helped TREMENDOUSLY. Same with the decklid spoiler.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Why on earth did Ford do this whole black plastic panel thing in the first place. Just paint it like the rest of the car. Or if they wanted it black, it should be painted and clearcoated properly in that color.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Can anyone positively confirm its black plastic, and not painted cleared gloss black on the '18? Mine was a disaster when I picked it up, but hand polishing with a clear coat safe polish helped TREMENDOUSLY. Same with the decklid spoiler.
Pretty sure it's plastic. It scratches way too easy to be clear coated.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
My only worry about the delivery of my car really, planning on doing 100% xpel but am afraid the decklid will be scratched before xpel can go on. Xpel should hide a lot but it'll still be scratched underneath.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I've tried a number of these products with minimal success on something like that high gloss black panel. Your best bet is to wash it gently with a very soft wash mitt and high quality pH neutral car wash. Air dry and apply a layer of carnauba wax. It's probably best to just live with any scratches rather than try to remove them on this type of surface. If someone can show me a fool proof method for removing such scratches (short of replacement), I'm all ears.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
It's probably best to just live with any scratches rather than try to remove them on this type of surface. If someone can show me a fool proof method for removing such scratches (short of replacement), I'm all ears.

It's easy to remove them, just use a finishing polish (ex. Sonax PF). The problem is the next time you touch the panel it's going to scratch again.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
It's easy to remove them, just use a finishing polish (ex. Sonax PF). The problem is the next time you touch the panel it's going to scratch again.
Easy to scratch = easy to remove

Sponsored

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
Would it be possible to remove the decklid panel and apply a layer of clear coat to it?
Would you have to use an adhesion promoter first?

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
This.

stangjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
I do alot of detailing and i could confirm that the decklid on 18 is alot softer than 15-17 i polish mine one time and put ceramic coating on it but it's just to soft and it scratch again.the only solution to really solved the problem would be to put a clearbra like xpel ultra.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
I used HD speed on a white pad and it got roughly 75% Of the scratches off, and minimized the rest. One step and it makes a noticeable difference. I did ceramic coat make me afterwards with some leftover gtechniq.

Ashpian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I had my car 2 weeks and a massive scratche appeared out of nowhere on it. I bought a new one without the badge and I’ll be damned if it’s not already scratching again. I’m probably going to try and wrap it gloss black and see how that looks.
Sponsored