Sponsored

ecoboost or 3.7 engine

MechWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red, FB, 3.7L, 051A, MANUAL !!
Also, do you like the look of the 2018 front end , compared to 2016... better , worse, no big difference ??
Sponsored

OP
OP

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
confused

Thanks for the response. I dont care about the sync3 either ,I am more concerned about a vibe showing up that Ford cant fix!I prefer a v6 over a ecoboost which is why I dont want to buy out my lease or spend $28000 on a new ecoboost.A v8 is not a option so I cant decide what to do.V6 owners say buy it but members from the "vibration" thread say runaway and get a 18 eco. Help!!!

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Thanks for the response. I dont care about the sync3 either ,I am more concerned about a vibe showing up that Ford cant fix!I prefer a v6 over a ecoboost which is why I dont want to buy out my lease or spend $28000 on a new ecoboost.A v8 is not a option so I cant decide what to do.V6 owners say buy it but members from the "vibration" thread say runaway and get a 18 eco. Help!!!

Flip a coin... If you go V6 and used just make sure it’s not a rental. As of last week I actually saw a new V6 in one of those huge car parks for new vehicles waiting to be taken to the dealers so they are still out there.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I've got no vibration or anything like that personally. What kind of deals would you be able to get on used cars whether it is the V6 or Eco? I think no matter which one you do you might end up kinda disappointed tbh. Go for the V6 and you'll be wondering why you gave up the Eco which you've grown accustomed to for 3 years now, keep the Eco and you'll wonder why you didn't give the V6 a proper chance. The 2018 is improved with the new tune for more torque which should liven it up all around.

Instead of buying out the lease directly, you might do good to try to negotiate with the dealer to get a lower price on it now. They don't have to, but it could be reasonable so that it doesn't sit on the lot long (not that they care, they could send it away to Ford).

edit » Fatguy your post just popped up as I submitted mine. Isn't yours a rental/fleet car though? I know some get beat on, but some people get winners out of it.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I've got no vibration or anything like that personally. What kind of deals would you be able to get on used cars whether it is the V6 or Eco? I think no matter which one you do you might end up kinda disappointed tbh. Go for the V6 and you'll be wondering why you gave up the Eco which you've grown accustomed to for 3 years now, keep the Eco and you'll wonder why you didn't give the V6 a proper chance. The 2018 is improved with the new tune for more torque which should liven it up all around.

Instead of buying out the lease directly, you might do good to try to negotiate with the dealer to get a lower price on it now. They don't have to, but it could be reasonable so that it doesn't sit on the lot long (not that they care, they could send it away to Ford).

edit » Fatguy your post just popped up as I submitted mine. Isn't yours a rental/fleet car though? I know some get beat on, but some people get winners out of it.

It was bought new off the lot and everything in the wrap untouched by human hands. Two days after delivery. I was talking a used rental. I bought it from fleet sales as I run some businesses.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
Thanks for the advise. the dealer wont budge on my buyout(18900) now or in 4 months when its due . The v6 for sale has only 2300 approx. miles private owner. asking 18500 .I really dont want a car loan so its either my eco or his v6.Anyone have a coin

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard

My 2016 v6 had the 50-70 mph vibration issue at 3k miles. Ford replaced under warranty DS and transmission flange. Ford SSM 45938 (Mustang drive-line vibration at highway speeds). Dealership had to go through the steps listed in the SSM. Replacing parts did not completely fix it. Ford's fix is to on car balance the DS by using a hose clamp. That fixed it and have not had drive-line vibration in the last 35k miles. I jack up the car after the hose clamp was on and used a paint pen to mark it so i would be able to tell if it had moved. Good to go so far and enjoying the ride everyday. If car you are looking at is still under warranty is would not worry to much about it. Check out https://www.floodfordesp.com/ if you want to extend the warranty. I purchased a basic ESP just to cover the car a little longer for peace of mind.

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
From the driveshaft vibration pole:

Yes - V6/MT 888mustang, ChiTownStang26, Damon, davejonnes, grey_horseplay3.7, GT40 2, lwnslw, MYSHARK, ponyv6, Steelhorse, Trueblue15, WhyNot
12 1.22% Yes - V6/AT Bbrillon998, Befuddled Canuck, billq, CherubAbaddon, Decosse, em2015late, gov cheese, helmsnd, icarumba, Jim05, Jlhjr, justinkombat12, ktodd1989, larso2ka, LoudEagle, majtom94, markbento, markw24, MeisterMan, moleman, mu5tang2016, Mustang_Eh, Mustg3, My 1st Mustang, Old Ford Guy, s550v6, shahram72, SirLoin, squish71, StangATX, Tems, WHITE HOT
32 3.26% Yes - EB/MT 2007GT500, Aaron_ATX, Andy Mees, Boosty15, Chef jpd, Dannyho, DevilDogDoc, Dirtleg, DJinAC, g3lo, HTX, ib2loud, iko, larze123, lbroskee, Malkionx, Mustangster, Nietzski, Nuzzi, RickyBobby, S550Mike, stiracer, tommyd

23 2.34% Yes - EB/AT 1994Redfire, 2016Mustang, 8borerifle, 94Cobra, Alan2955, Apple, barrykaye1001, bluefirestarter, Chaser, Cobra Jet, Comporange, Dspec_S550, Ecoboobs, ECOSLPR, ElRuso, fsvec, Furious D, garage34, GatorStang, Ground Speed, Guard, Guio, Ian_Leith05, Joihan777, Jq42, Juben, JungleG1337, KeiRodez, Kev2Chops, King Jackmode, Kudarat, lathamb, Lwgoudey, meenk, melloyello, Motoboy, mrasdf, must2016, Mustang Ver2.3, mustang_zc, Nexion, nolan9832, Norseman71, NothernVAMustang, nuttinbutagstang, OrangeOne, psssst, RUN, Sayzahr, sijdoli, skeys2, SLOW2-3, solodogg, speedfrk, spencerclift21, stang77, SYK, tolzer, TWild, ultimate warrior, v0ltage, vegetakid24, ZenkaiRacer
63 6.42%
Doesn't seem to be just V6 problem...
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15990

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
The V6 is great but I regret not getting it with the 3.55. If I can do it all over again I'd get it with the 3.55 rear diff option package.
It's a noob question, but when searching online for a pre-owned V6, is there a way of determining if it has the 3.55?

My insurance premium for the GT was almost double. i haven't had an accident in 8 years and I wasn't even at fault for it and I even tried to get quotes from other companies. I think a lot of people start pricing a GT and realize that 30K is still a lot of money to finance for a car and the insurance is going to get them coming and going.
The idiots exiting cars & coffee don't help insurance rates.

Eh, I'd advise against that...no point in stretching yourself too thin. I'm loving my V6 and it is a great stepping stone after my last car being a Corolla. Sure once you get the GT you love it even more and wonder how you ever only drove the V6, but you still want more power anyway.

Not sure why everyone always try to throw in buy a used V8 when people want a cheaper new car that they can properly afford.
Yes, no car is worth stretching finances too thin. Many high performance vehicles have more power than one can realistically use, so instead it's best to focus on the fun factor.

I would highly agree on the GT comments. You can find a slightly used s550 GT for less than $25k vs a brand new V6/EB for the same price. But I do understand that a GT is not in everyone’s price range and some may not be able to swing it especially if they want it brand new, plus the cost of ownership between a GT and a V6/EB must be taken into consideration as well.

Overall, if you are not planning to go V8, get the 6. I enjoyed every minute of my 2.5 years with the V6, I loved the crap out of that car and it’s what really put me in the Mustang world, I didn’t even do much to it…just a stock GT Catback, a K&N filter, pedalcommander, and some cosmetic mods. I actually miss my V6 even though my GT is way better. If I had money I’d have both a V6 and a GT.
Everyone is different, but for me there isn't anything like the new car smell & the pride of new car ownership. I'm searching for a pre-owned Mustang because I want a 2015-17 V6, which is no longer available.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
It's a noob question, but when searching online for a pre-owned V6, is there a way of determining if it has the 3.55?
The only way is to check the original window sticker. It was an option that was ordered on an extremely small amount of cars. 3.55 factory V6s are like unicorns. Best bet is to call the dealer and ask what the rear gearing is. The Mustangs with the 051A option package have a better chance of having the 3.55s but it's a crapshoot ultimately. I got the 3.55s put in on mine after by an indie shop and it saved the car. I was ready to trade it in with the 3.15s they're way too long. Auto trans are different in that the 3.15s in Autos are more like 3.31s, so there is a slight difference in transmissions as far as how the rear gearing feels.

Sponsored

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
Sh*ts & Giggles...

I'm curious, because of the limited factory options & aftermarket products for the final V6, stock for stock which would be more fun to drive... the SN95 GT, S197 V6 or S550 V6?

:clap2:

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
I'm curious, because of the limited factory options & aftermarket products for the final V6, stock for stock which would be more fun to drive... the SN95 GT, S197 V6 or S550 V6?

:clap2:
There's plenty of aftermarket for our cars outside of the engine. You could do a full suspension rebuild and spend thousands easy. You can do all sort of exterior mods too. The 3.7 has never been a great tuner engine. Its brilliance is that all it needs is a cup of joe (MPT tune) and the right rear gears and you've got a bullet proof V6 with 300hp that revs to 7k. It's the stuff sports car dreams are made of.

As for the SN197, the only reason why I own a Mustang is the IRS. I came from VWs, I didn't even like muscle cars or domestics really. But the IRS changed the game for me. Solid rear axle cars are not my cup of tea at all. The SN197 offers a better value, but the engine is the same and you lose the handling and improved ride of the IRS. I'm telling you, I go on and on about this, but the 3.55s made me go from "Damn I made a mistake" to "Holy crap I want to run this thing to 100K miles". The MPT tune is perfection and I'm looking to sell my 3.15 soon to fund Steeda Linear lowering springs. I absolutely love this car now and I still think it presents a killer value. There are still plenty of new ones on lots too. Hell, go to Ford, order the 3.55 from parts department and have them install it under warranty. This car hits stock E46 M3 benchmarks and is way more reliable and more than half the price of that car when it was new BEFORE you account for inflation. Ford tried to neglect it, but with a little massaging, it's really an unbeatable sports car value.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
There's plenty of aftermarket for our cars outside of the engine. You could do a full suspension rebuild and spend thousands easy. You can do all sort of exterior mods too. The 3.7 has never been a great tuner engine. Its brilliance is that all it needs is a cup of joe (MPT tune) and the right rear gears and you've got a bullet proof V6 with 300hp that revs to 7k. It's the stuff sports car dreams are made of.

As for the SN197, the only reason why I own a Mustang is the IRS. I came from VWs, I didn't even like muscle cars or domestics really. But the IRS changed the game for me. Solid rear axle cars are not my cup of tea at all. The SN197 offers a better value, but the engine is the same and you lose the handling and improved ride of the IRS. I'm telling you, I go on and on about this, but the 3.55s made me go from "Damn I made a mistake" to "Holy crap I want to run this thing to 100K miles". The MPT tune is perfection and I'm looking to sell my 3.15 soon to fund Steeda Linear lowering springs. I absolutely love this car now and I still think it presents a killer value. There are still plenty of new ones on lots too. Hell, go to Ford, order the 3.55 from parts department and have them install it under warranty. This car hits stock E46 M3 benchmarks and is way more reliable and more than half the price of that car when it was new BEFORE you account for inflation. Ford tried to neglect it, but with a little massaging, it's really an unbeatable sports car value.
I’ve heard various answers, but did you have to adjust your speedometer after swapping to 3.55’s?

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
I’ve heard various answers, but did you have to adjust your speedometer after swapping to 3.55’s?
[EDIT: Apprently you don't have to do this after all. I'll leave the note about changing the tune for updated gears and tire size as that might still be helpful] I have taller tires than stock and shorter gears so I used the SCT Tuner to update both values and flashed the car. I have confirmed with the GPS app on my phone that the speedo is correct.

Last edited:

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Yes. I have taller tires than stock and shorter gears so I used the SCT Tuner to update both values and flashed the car. I have confirmed with the GPS app on my phone that the speedo is correct. If you have an auto that process is much more complicated.
What tire size are you running?

Yeah from what I read you need to go into forscan or have the dealer flash it for 3:55. I'm still thinking of doing though, might be an alternative to FI.
Sponsored