Sponsored

2018 mustang GT PP oil gauge

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Hello guys, just got the 18 GT PP and can yall help me out the right way to see the oil pressure gauge? When I start up my car the psi goes to 100 and drops back to 20-30. When it warms up, the gauge shows around 15-18 psi at idle and when I press on the gas like noral driving, it stays at 30 psi. Just got the oil change done and wanted to see if this is normal. And what should be the pressure psi when I go WOT?
Thank you
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Pretty normal. Cold starts, the oil is thick and that's why the pressure is high. Once warmed up, the pressure should be around 10-20psi at idle and for every 1000rpm increase, there should be about 10psi increase in oil pressure from idle.
When you go WOT hitting 6000rpm you should be seeing 70 psi. However, I believe the gauge is dampened so it may not react instantly. You can try holding the rpm in neutral to see the stablized pressure. Oil pressure is purely related to RPM not engine load.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I drove an 18 the other week and the oil gauge operates way different than my GT and other 2015-2017 GT PPs that I've been in. Mine is much more active.

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Eventhough its all same GT, can it show different oil pressure om every cars?

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Eventhough its all same GT, can it show different oil pressure om every cars?
If they are using the same oil and new oil, they should be identical.
Different oil and as oil age, the viscosity changes which can affect oil pressure.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I drove an 18 the other week and the oil gauge operates way different than my GT and other 2015-2017 GT PPs that I've been in. Mine is much more active.
It's not the first time clueless people get alerted by the changing oil pressure while driving. I remember when TJ Wrangler came out, people didn't like the gauge going up and down so later they just made the gauge a dummy gauge that stay in the middle when there is oil pressure.

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Pretty normal. Cold starts, the oil is thick and that's why the pressure is high. Once warmed up, the pressure should be around 10-20psi at idle and for every 1000rpm increase, there should be about 10psi increase in oil pressure from idle.
When you go WOT hitting 6000rpm you should be seeing 70 psi. However, I believe the gauge is dampened so it may not react instantly. You can try holding the rpm in neutral to see the stablized pressure. Oil pressure is purely related to RPM not engine load.
Thank you. I was driving around 1.5k-2k rpm and pressure stayed constant 30psi. Would this be also normal?

Rodimus_Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I dont really understand the importance of this gauge or the vac. I would have much rather had some sort of scan tool type gauge. Its useful to have AFR and boost on a car that has that but on an NA car its just not needed.

Sponsored

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
I dont really understand the importance of this gauge or the vac. I would have much rather had some sort of scan tool type gauge. Its useful to have AFR and boost on a car that has that but on an NA car its just not needed.
Yeah I would rather much a an oil temp gauge or even a voltage rather than a vacuum.

But oil pressure is super important to have, especially during spirited driving or after the oil has just been changed.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Sounds like what pressure ranges I see as well.
You're looking good.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
It's not the first time clueless people get alerted by the changing oil pressure while driving. I remember when TJ Wrangler came out, people didn't like the gauge going up and down so later they just made the gauge a dummy gauge that stay in the middle when there is oil pressure.
lol^...
It stops being a gauge though, & only indicates pressure. I hate marketing...!

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
Ford did the same thing on the SN95 Mustangs. Replaced the pressure sensor with a cheap/simple on/off sensor, and inserted a resistor (100 ohms ?) that put the needle into the center of the gauge.