Sponsored

Mileage on Used GTs

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red
Looking for used S550s and I'm curious about what your experiences have been with the mileage.

I'm seeing many in the 45K miles neighborhood and am curious if it's worth paying $1K-$2K for one with under 30K miles.

If I go the cheaper route - will I be facing a large maintenance interval soon? How much does regular maintenance run you guys for the intervals?

Thanks
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I would decide that by
1. How long will I own, (5 year old car hard to sell)
2. How many miles a year will I drive car, then add that with 1 for amount of years and miles at purchase.

Then you can go to Edmunds and put in the two different possibilities with imaginary cars, this will give you a decent idea of your answer.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
OP
OP
GasPedal

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What "large maintenance interval" are you referring to?
I'm thinking brakes, tires, filters, and the sort. I'm hoping the timing belts and such can wait until 100K at which point I don't think I'd own the car(2018 GT is the ultimate goal).

But buying a car and then having to replace tires and brakes for $2,000 (guess) almost immediately might make more sense to have one that has enough life in them for another year or so.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GasPedal

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would decide that by
1. How long will I own, (5 year old car hard to sell)
2. How many miles a year will I drive car, then add that with 1 for amount of years and miles at purchase.

Then you can go to Edmunds and put in the two different possibilities with imaginary cars, this will give you a decent idea of your answer.
Are you approaching this in terms of the value of the car when I'd like to sell it? I'm thinking I could at least wait 2-3 years for the 2018s to come down so I can get the digital dash. But if I like the car then I wouldn't mind holding off an upgrade until we see how the 2022's look.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm hoping the timing belts and such can wait until 100K at which point I don't think I'd own the car(2018 GT is the ultimate goal).

But buying a car and then having to replace tires and brakes for $2,000 (guess) almost immediately might make more sense to have one that has enough life in them for another year or so.
Ford doesn't put a timing belt on the Coyote. They use chains for better durability. Belts are more on the foreign cars that are cheaply made.

As far as wear items like tires and brakes, my advice is that you should inspect them before buying, because mileage is less of a factor compared to use. If the owner went to the track and used line lock often, you will see more rear tire wear, for instance.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Buy lowest mile (best condition) you can negotiate/afford. Jmo.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
service every 5k miles.. doesn't matter if you are at 30k miles or 45k miles.
new Michelins about every 20k miles or every year.
I've owned mine for 2 years now & 40k miles. Drive it everyday and love it

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The only issue with cars in the 40-45k range is you run into cars that either will need things like brakes and tires or just had them done.

No timing belt on these cars.

If you find a car with some miles on it but a good service record and clean carfax go for it. However for me I'd find the lowest mile cleanest one you can

Sponsored

Rodimus_Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
i just got mine about 3 weeks ago, a 17 gt performance pack fully loaded I think the only option I dont have is the rain sensing wipers and the adaptive cruise sticker price was like 43,900. I got it used for 32,200 with 13,500 miles on it. I had an issue on day 2 with a p0300 misfire which ended up being at the dealer for 4 days getting a new intake manifold, also the car only came with one keyfob, im getting a 2nd backup one made on friday which is going to cost me about 210

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
i just got mine about 3 weeks ago, a 17 gt performance pack fully loaded I think the only option I dont have is the rain sensing wipers and the adaptive cruise sticker price was like 43,900. I got it used for 32,200 with 13,500 miles on it. I had an issue on day 2 with a p0300 misfire which ended up being at the dealer for 4 days getting a new intake manifold, also the car only came with one keyfob, im getting a 2nd backup one made on friday which is going to cost me about 210
You should have negotiated that into the deal, the key fob. Likely only has one because it was repossessed. If it was traded in without a second fob, that dealer would have charged the customer for a replacement. Thus, in either case, you should have a free second key fob. That's horseshyte.

Rodimus_Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You should have negotiated that into the deal, the key fob. Likely only has one because it was repossessed. If it was traded in without a second fob, that dealer would have charged the customer for a replacement. Thus, in either case, you should have a free second key fob. That's horseshyte.
oh I did, they gave me 200 off, also found traces of broken glass on the passenger side, green glass like a beer bottle was smashed along the window trim

OP
OP
GasPedal

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only issue with cars in the 40-45k range is you run into cars that either will need things like brakes and tires or just had them done.

No timing belt on these cars.

If you find a car with some miles on it but a good service record and clean carfax go for it. However for me I'd find the lowest mile cleanest one you can
Thanks for the info. I should have just bought one 2 months ago when they were 2k-3k cheaper :frusty: stupid me trying to be responsible

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'm thinking brakes, tires, filters, and the sort. I'm hoping the timing belts and such can wait until 100K at which point I don't think I'd own the car(2018 GT is the ultimate goal).

1. There's no timing belt replacement.
2. Tires and brakes on the Performance Pack cars are expensive. Those on the standard GTs are not. Plus, you can easily do a brake job yourself. It's a cake walk.

Mustangs are pretty cheap to maintain, unless they have the Performance Pack. Then the tires are expensive and don't last long, and the rotors and pads are a bit spendy.
Sponsored