Sponsored

18' MT82 Cast Aluminum Shift Forks

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
Can you swap in the early transmission without much fuss ?
Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I thought Ford got it right.........or better with the 18 and the mt82, I had started shopping around for an 18 in manual, because, my 16 auto bores me to death, then I see all these shift fork issues, Ford lost me, Ive started shopping for 2016-2017 SRT Challengers with a manual, they are hard af to find, and when you do, dealers will not budge on price at all!

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Three on YouTube I was watching when I was contemplating an upgrade. Going on for months without their cars. Here is one rant and I wonder if he is a member here:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]7ND6qp1UUr8[/MEDIA]"]

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I would have gladly paid more. I wouldn’t want the GT350 trans gear ratios though.

This would be a nice option but it would probably be expensive as well as pulling some of the spot light from the GT350.

Sponsored

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
This nonsense makes me consider abandoning my order that is due in 3 weeks...

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
The TR3160 trans should have replaced the MT82 for 2018.
If you dig into the MT82 design, it was originally designed for Euro and Chinese light/medium cargo vans. Keep in mind that the expectations on operation vary around the World; the way Americans drive and expect things to operate under are a bit different.

The TR3160 (and TR6060/T56 for that matter) were designed at a starting point with respect to the American market.

The MT82 is a decent transmission with a reputation soiled by cost-cutting and ill quality control.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you dig into the MT82 design, it was originally designed for Euro and Chinese light/medium cargo vans. Keep in mind that the expectations on operation vary around the World; the way Americans drive and expect things to operate under are a bit different.

The TR3160 (and TR6060/T56 for that matter) were designed at a starting point with respect to the American market.

The MT82 is a decent transmission with a reputation soiled by cost-cutting and ill quality control.
Agreed, I actually really like it with a good shifter and fluid.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
^ Same, but of the 2016 variety. This thing is a solid work horse, and I have only missed a gear twice that I can recall. And I am shifting at about 7,800 rpm.
I have had zero issues with my 2016 MT-82. Feels solid, shifts smooth and strong.
If I had never read about people having issues with their MT-82 transmissions, I would say it is a great transmission.

Hopefully Ford will quickly re-engineer a stronger shift fork design for the 2018.

Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I thought Ford got it right.........or better with the 18 and the mt82, I had started shopping around for an 18 in manual, because, my 16 auto bores me to death, then I see all these shift fork issues, Ford lost me, Ive started shopping for 2016-2017 SRT Challengers with a manual, they are hard af to find, and when you do, dealers will not budge on price at all!

I'd have to buy a Camaro vs a Challenger. Couldn't do the Dodge thing.

I'm sure Ford will address the shift fork issue on the '18's. Remain calm.
The 5.0 Coyote is a really well designed engine.
I wouldn't lose faith in Ford so fast.

PS: Dodge isn't even an American company anymore (owned by Fiat). Keep your American Muscle American! Give Ford a chance to fix the issue.
Or go buy a Camaro...only problem will be you won't be able to see out of it. haha.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'd have to buy a Camaro vs a Challenger. Couldn't do the Dodge thing.

I'm sure Ford will address the shift fork issue on the '18's. Remain calm.
The 5.0 Coyote is a really well designed engine.
I wouldn't lose faith in Ford so fast.

PS: Dodge isn't even an American company anymore (owned by Fiat). Keep your American Muscle American! Give Ford a chance to fix the issue.
Or go buy a Camaro...only problem will be you won't be able to see out of it. haha.
nah Id never ever buy a Camaro, theyre ugly af and I just couldnt bring myself to do it, Ive already located a manual trans (they actually use a Tremec LOL) brand new 2017 SRT Challenger, just waiting to take my Mustang to Carmax tomorrow

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
just waiting to take my Mustang to Carmax tomorrow
Try the KBB instant cash offer. i got 3.8k more through that then Carmax for my 2015 ST3. Carmax 14k even, KBB was 17.8 and a car lot with them bought it for the offer. best trade in i could find was 16k

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
In 2011 Mustang owners went OMG stamp steel shift forks that horrible design. Whole spew other trans use alum shift forks. Guess what Ford switches to them now it's OMG again LOL. Arm chair engineers make me laugh.
People are saying OMG because they are failing.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious, has Ford created any internal TSB/GSM/SSM regarding the 2018 MT82 shift fork issue?

I mean, for those that have failed, you can’t tell me that Ford is just putting the same parts back in as replacements, are they?? That just would not make any sense for a warranty repair, since they could (or would) fail like the originals.
Sponsored