Having 10spd problems.

OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just got a call from the service department. They said they are ordering a complete valve body, and that there were a bunch of codes thrown. I asked if there might have been any damage done from the missed shifts and they said no,

Right now looking like at least another week without my car.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just got a call from the service department. They said they are ordering a complete valve body, and that there were a bunch of codes thrown. I asked if there might have been any damage done from the missed shifts and they said no,

Right now looking like at least another week without my car.
Can you ask your Tech or Service Writer if there have been any recent 10R80 internal Ford TSB/SSM/GSB docs since the release of the new 2018 Mustangs? If they say yes, ask them for doc numbers or copies.

Not looking for recall info.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
Sorry to hear this! I will be watching this thread to see if the "fix" actually fixes the problem. Did they get you a loaner or at the very least a rental car?

OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I got my car back and they replaced the valve body assembly.

I have been having a problem with slow shifting and once in a while it will feel like it slips in gear from about 5-7k. If it was a manual it would feel like the clutch slipping, but since it's an automatic I'm not sure.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The dealer will tell you for certain once they have it apart or send it back to Ford, but I am curious about a couple things.
  1. How many miles do you have on it?
  2. Did you follow Ford recommended break-in procedures?

The reason I ask those things is because, without seeing it, there are two root causes I would check into if I was the dealer. It is likely either an electronics problem or a valve body problem.

The valve body problem has the potential to be more problematic because of what would likely be the cause of the valve body problem. If there is sediment (dirt, metal chips from manufacturing) floating around in the trans fluid, the smallest chips getting lodged in the wrong channels of the valve body can alter line pressures and cause the transmission to shift erratically, sometimes not at all. The transmission is an electronically controlled hydraulic machine. The valve body is the brains of the machine. The electronics pretty much control the actions of the transmission based on the channel open / channel closed / pressure status signals that exist in the valve body. Screw those up and the transmission controller doesn’t know what it’s supposed to think. One metal chip a fraction of the size of a fingernail clipping can screw the whole thing up. The reason I say the valve body problem could be more problematic is because if there is a chip causing a valve body problem, there are no doubt more chips elsewhere in the transmission that need to be flushed out before they do other damage. Having seen the damage chips in engine oil or transmission fluid can cause has made me a strong supporter of following the manufacturer suggested break-in procedures.
I got my car back and they replaced the valve body assembly.

I have been having a problem with slow shifting and once in a while it will feel like it slips in gear from about 5-7k. If it was a manual it would feel like the clutch slipping, but since it's an automatic I'm not sure.
Read the parts in orange from my earlier post. Before I got into GM Product Planning I ran GM’s engine and transmission remanufacturing programs. The NUMBER 1 warranty issue with reman transmissions was when the dealer installed them without having adequately flushed ALL of the cooler lines. If there was sediment in the original transmission (or valve body) that failed, some of that sediment would still be present in the fluid left in the cooler lines. Technicians would sometimes “save time” by not completely flushing all the cooler lines. It only takes one barely visible aluminum chip to get lodged in the wrong valve and cause a repeat failure.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks. That seems to be the case. I have talked to my dealer about it and they said the trans needs to relearn.

I will follow back up with my dealer next week. So far I love the car, but would be happier with a 6spd at this point.

OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Dealer said to give it 500 miles to relearn before they can look at it again. It is going to be a long 500 miles.

Now on top of the slow shifting and feeling like the TC unlocks randomly it is starting new problems and I am getting a little frustrated. As I was driving at 40'ish and tried to speed up a little it down shifted and the rear tires chirped pretty loud and slammed the car hard. This was repeatable and a little concerning. Driving around 40mph I can tap the throttle and downshifts locking up the rear tires on dry pavement.

Starting to regret this whole car.

Glacierbrew907

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
There was a guy I talked to at a local meet with a 10 speed auto that had the same issue. The dealer had to replace the valve body. He just got the car back after waiting 6 weeks for the fix and he broke down again within 10 minutes of starting the cruise. I was really hoping to not see a pattern of failures on the new transmission like the C7 covettes are having!

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
There was a guy I talked to at a local meet with a 10 speed auto that had the same issue. The dealer had to replace the valve body. He just got the car back after waiting 6 weeks for the fix and he broke down again within 10 minutes of starting the cruise. I was really hoping to not see a pattern of failures on the new transmission like the C7 covettes are having!
C7 Corvettes don’t have this transmission.

Glacierbrew907

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT