Sponsored

How many have now upgraded from a 2015-2017 to a 2018/19?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious how many folks on this site have now upgraded, traded in, sold off or Lemon’d off their prior 2015-2017 for a new 2018 (or upcoming 2019)?

What’s your overall thoughts of the 2018 after getting it when comparing it to your prior S550?
Sponsored

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
While I didn't come from a 15, I did come from a 14 s197 w/ Roush phase 2 supercharger. I had a stop in between with a 17 focus RS. Anyhow, the 18 gt is far superior in every way to the 14. With the 10r80 I don't even miss the supercharger. It's almost as quick. I know that doesn't really help, but figured I'd mention it.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i went from a 16 GT premium manual with a roush phase 1. to my 18. I was nervous at first giving up the supercharger but in daily driving the a10 feels faster. and im waiting to get to the track to see how the times are

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I upgraded from a 2016 Mustang GT PP base to a 2018 Mustang GT Premium A10 PP. So it might be a little hard for me to compare the interior/comfort over my past car since it was a base but just in terms of power and how it delivers it through the 10r80, the tires and exhaust, Ford certainly learned from the 15-17 and what they should have done on its release.

The stock exhaust, non-active is awesome; I would say almost perfect, maybe just a tad too quiet. I had Borla S-Type CBE on my last car and loved the sound. It was the first mod I did after owning the car for a week. My 2016 was way TOO quiet stock. Not everyone should be forced for purchase an aftermarket system to hear their car. The exhaust on the 18 gives you just enough sound that lets you know you are actually driving a V8 Mustang. I honestly have no desire removing it right now. I think it's the perfect sport exhaust without being annoying to other people. Also the sound tube provides an engaging sound with the A10 that I plan on leaving it attached on this car. I removed it as soon as I put the exhaust on my last car.

The tires on the PP now are actually performance worthy. These tires grip and grip that at this point I’m not sure if it's just the tires that make the 18 feel like it handles better or if its tires and suspension tweaks? The car doesn't feel AS floaty as my 2016 did but it's still there a little bit. In terms of stock height I’m not sure if the dimensions changed from the 2016 to the 2018 but I'm less eager to lower my car currently. I look at it and I'm comfortable with it as stock. I know when I purchased my 2016 as soon as it sat in my driveway I wanted to lower it because it looked too high. Possibly the front aesthetics and being white played a role in contrasting the wheel/height gap more than the Kona does, or it just has a slightly lower profile now, not sure.

The engine certainly feels noticeably more powerful in stock form than my 2016 did. However this also could contribute to the feel of an automatic over a M6. It's my first automatic in a car that had actual power to move it around. All I know is, when I smash down the pedal, I was legitimately scared the first few days. I would burst into laughable at how ridiculous it felt and how quickly it moved. The car feels a little peppier on the low end due to the torque increase. I just feels like the car is a tad bit lighter with it to get it moving. My 16 had intake and Lund flex tune and this car feels all of quicker than it did, stock... I will tell you that the A10 in the 3.15 gears that I test drove back in February did NOT leave me with that sensation. So I think unless you plan on building a strip car, 3.55 gears are a must for the perfect experience.

The automatic is really I think the biggest game changer between the 15-17 > 18. I would say that it pretty much lives up to the hype it's been getting online. You are also seeing a lot of people who were against owning an automatic jumping into them now, including myself. It's hard to explain exactly what makes it so great but it's not a dull experience ever... I drove an A6 850 whipple and this just has different characteristics over most auto transmission cars you have driven. Only thing I can say is, don't expect an exotic like experience. The shifts are not super quick in terms of what you see in other performance cars when flicking the paddles but when you let the car do its own thing, it seems to do it pretty well. I was actually a bit blown away at how the transmission worked on tight turned roads when you go into and out of curves. It downshifts very quickly into turns, keeping you into high rpms and shifts out on exits. The transmission does seem a little funny at first but Ford states in the manual that the transmission is adaptive to your driving habits so I think it's most likely best to reset the car after break in and let it relearn. I'm at 1800 miles so far and I'm most likely going to try it this evening.

The interior as I stated wouldn't be a fair comparison to my base but the leather is supple and now that my seats have broken in, I noticed this morning that I was just kind of melting into the seats cruising down the highway, it felt great. The exterior noises are nearly blocked out. If you are cruising 65mph, you cannot hear anything passing by you. The cabin is sealed tight. I have the smart and safe package on mine and the adaptive cruise a making it extremely hard for me to not turn this car into my daily. For the PP, it drives very calmly when just cruising. It's not too bouncy or rough. Between that and lane keeping, my evenings when I am tired and headed home from work, I turn those on and I'm basically just monitoring the car. The auto high beams at night are nice and not until now I didn't even think about the fact that I have not touched the high beam switch since I owned the car. So far I think Sync 3 is the cleanest, easiest, smoothest entertainment system I have used or seen in a car. I haven't had a single problem with it and the interface is very smooth and clean. The home screen with nav is great. You get a little side window with the navigation info and then on the right you get radio information and phone info. The tabs and pages are clean and easy to navigate. I haven't used voice too much but I tested it the other day for navigation addresses and to change the temps in the car and it understood me pretty easily. I just don't like how it repeats everything back first for it actually applies the changes.

All in all, I have not regretted one second of getting rid of my other car, none. And I fucking loved that car too. That's the main reason I upgraded to the 2018. When I got my 2016 it was my first RWD sports car and my first Ford. I didn't do my research, ended up buying something that I ended up loving more than any of the other cars I owned but regretted not getting it the way I actually wanted it. At the time I got my 2016 I was not familiar with Fords packaging and neither are the Salesmen. I looked and tested a premium but ended up with a base not realizing all the things I would not get... Ford is still a little stingy in their package upgrades for getting "luxuries" that most all cars come with standard in the sub 30k price range.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
I did it from a 2016 GT.
Love the sound first. Feel tighter
A10 is faster
Overall i m happy.

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
I went from a 2017 GT PP1 manual, to a 2018 GT PP2.

Driving is much nicer without that long hood, the new 2018 hood is so much better. I have the active exhaust and even in normal mode it sounds way better then my 2017.

Interior, pretty much the same other than a few soft touch materials the 17 did not have. I love the LCD dash though.

Driving review is tough, cause the difference between the PP1 and PP2 is significant, plus I now have magnaride, same with handling, no comparison. i think throttle response is better in the 18 and the power increase is noticeable. New 6spd is great too, I thought the 17 was a little clunky, 18 shifts easy and smooth.

Along with the great new hood, I looked at a front photo of my 17 and compared to my 18. Ford did an excellent job with the rework, the 17 in my opinion is ugly now, 18 is much cleaner and way better design angles.

So happy i upgraded and especially to the PP2.

thedalejrfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT K3985
Went from a 6speed '17 GT with a Whipple, to an '18 GT with a 10speed, both PP cars. I do not miss the supercharger, the '18 feels better in every way. I can almost keep up with my buddies Whippled car!

The 10speed is awesome!!!!

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Along with the great new hood, I looked at a front photo of my 17 and compared to my 18. Ford did an excellent job with the rework, the 17 in my opinion is ugly now, 18 is much cleaner and way better design angles.
I forgot to mention the hood. I was not expecting such a difference in the front view from the small amount they said they dropped it. When I first got in one my first reaction was "holy shit, I can see almost everything in front of me!".

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
This is the first and the last Mustang I'll ever own. I don't see my self getting another one.
There are many manufacturer's that make better cars, compared to the Mustang. I want to try as many of them as possible.

Sponsored

TripleYellow5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow 5.0
I came from an 08 bullitt to my 16gtpp. I,can say that the 18 did interest me, but I've had my eye on gt350s. So while the 18 up cars are tempting. I just couldn't justify getting rid of the 16.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
This is the first and the last Mustang I'll ever own. I don't see my self getting another one.
There are many manufacturer's that make better cars, compared to the Mustang. I want to try as many of them as possible.
I've been wanting more manufacturers to make V8 manual trans RWD cars that compete with the Mustang. I like the Challenger and Camaro, but so far my test drives of them have not convinced me to go away from Mustang.

I looked at Porsche and BMW, but 6 or fewer cylinders just don't do it for me.

I guess "better" depends on what you want. I'm sure if you don't care about V8/manual trans/RWD there could be lots of "better" cars out there. Those three things are all my top gotta have its, though.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Just curious as to what "many" manufactures and cars you are comparing in the same price range? I'm not brand loyal and like to try different cars to mark off my list but in my opinion the Mustang GT is a pretty good bang for your buck car for what you get and everything in a comparable price range usually lacks one or the other then what the Mustang offers right now. I'm talking new to new not new to what you can buy used in the same price range. The only other car comparable would be the Camaro but then you have to sacrifice the better styling and you have to marry your sister.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
Just curious as to what "many" manufactures and cars you are comparing in the same price range? I'm not brand loyal and like to try different cars to mark off my list but in my opinion the Mustang GT is a pretty good bang for your buck car for what you get and everything in a comparable price range usually lacks one or the other then what the Mustang offers right now. I'm talking new to new not new to what you can buy used in the same price range. The only other car comparable would be the Camaro but then you have to sacrifice the better styling and you have to marry your sister.
You're absolutely correct, there aren't many cars in the price range that offers as much performance and tech for around $40k. That is one of the main reason why I chose the '16 GT.
However, I don't believe my next car will be in the same $40k price range. I apologize if I wasn't clear.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I've been wanting more manufacturers to make V8 manual trans RWD cars that compete with the Mustang. I like the Challenger and Camaro, but so far my test drives of them have not convinced me to go away from Mustang.

I looked at Porsche and BMW, but 6 or fewer cylinders just don't do it for me.

I guess "better" depends on what you want. I'm sure if you don't care about V8/manual trans/RWD there could be lots of "better" cars out there. Those three things are all my top gotta have its, though.
I share the same sentiments..
I love the rumble of V8 or larger engines.
RWD makes it fun.
Manual makes the drive.

It just sucks that the cars are almost double if not triple the price of Mustang, when you want the same combination in premium brands.
Sponsored