Sponsored

Oil consumption headache

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
If the consumption of oil is an issue for you because you don't want to check the oil level every 500 miles. Then this is not the car for you. Not to mention each GT350/R is different; mine is more like every 1,500 it needs a quart. But it is a hell of a ride...
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I don't think the user has much control over whether or not the car uses oil (talking about things like how you break-in the car for example).

I think it's more a matter of engine tolerances and luck, as well as driving style.

My car seems to use about 1 quart per 1500 miles. Definitely need to add oil pretty frequently compared to other cars I've owned.

I do drive on mountain roads which means lots of engine braking, and according to Ford that can lead to more consumption. Car runs great and I don't notice clouds of smoke billowing out the rear, so I'm OK with how it is performing. Just need to buy a several spare quarts and check the oil every now and then.

The other aspect is to really try and nail down why people freak out about oil consumption. I had a guy at a Cars & Coffee event tell me that he would lemon-law a car that used any oil between changes, simply because "cars shouldn't burn oil".

Of course we know that isn't true. Every car is designed with a different purpose in mind, and often it is the higher performance engines that burn the most oil. They usually have looser fits in order to have less friction and make a bit more power. That can allow oil to pass by piston rings, valve seals, etc. I think many have been conditioned to feel that a car using oil is on the verge of failure, when that is not always the case.

Of course in the end it comes down to what you are comfortable with. I am not thrilled that my car is burning a quart every 1500 miles, but I'm OK with it. If it was burning a quart every 500 or faster, I'd definitely feel like something wasn't right.

Finally, keep in mind that on the forums all you hear is the bad news. I don't make a post every time I drive saying "welp, no problems today" but when something seems strange you can bet I'll be asking if others see similar behavior.

-T

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I had the GT350 Tech Pack. I ran it hard, 6k rpm all the time, and it burned 5 quarts in 2700 miles before I even checked it after reading on here.

So I did a unit test of nothing but easy highway driving. Never over 65, on and then off the freeway, done. I did not notice anything different on the stick. Still full after 1200 miles.

Agent337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/ Black Stripes
Love my GT350, handles like a dream and the sound never gets old.

Unfortunately I'm one of the few that's experiencing abnormal oil consumption rates. It's been 2,059 miles since my oil change 3 months ago, and I've added 5 quarts of oil since then. (a quart at a time to maintain the level between the holes, Motorcraft 5w-50).

That's 411 miles per quart on average, but consumption has gotten worse, having to add 2 quarts for the last 681 miles (340.5 miles/quart).

Bringing it to Ford in two days to have it checked out. It's a 2017, built in May 2017 FWIW

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Purchased my 2017 used with 1509 miles on the odometer. I too worried about excessive oil consumption due to improper break from the previous owner. I bought the car from a dealer so I was unable to get to know how the car was driven prior. I consider myself lucky because in the 1200 miles since I’ve changed the oil I have not added any.

Sponsored

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Oil consumption

I changed my oil filter (so I could cut it open) at 1,000 mi. Added 1/2 qt. for the loss at that time. Since I have changed oil/filter every 3,500 mi. (All street/highway mi.). Now have over 13,000 mi. and have Never had to add any oil.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I consider myself lucky. Had the oil changed at 2780 miles and it was down just about a third of a quart at that point. Hope it continues with the same pattern with the full synthetic.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Finally, keep in mind that on the forums all you hear is the bad news. I don't make a post every time I drive saying "welp, no problems today" but when something seems strange you can bet I'll be asking if others see similar behavior.

-T

Welp, no problems today.

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Love my GT350, handles like a dream and the sound never gets old.

Unfortunately I'm one of the few that's experiencing abnormal oil consumption rates. It's been 2,059 miles since my oil change 3 months ago, and I've added 5 quarts of oil since then. (a quart at a time to maintain the level between the holes, Motorcraft 5w-50).

That's 411 miles per quart on average, but consumption has gotten worse, having to add 2 quarts for the last 681 miles (340.5 miles/quart).

Bringing it to Ford in two days to have it checked out. It's a 2017, built in May 2017 FWIW
You would have to have a trail of blue smoke coming out your exhaust at all times.

Agent337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/ Black Stripes
You would have to have a trail of blue smoke coming out your exhaust at all times.
That's what's strange about it, I haven't seen any blue smoke, and I do keep an eye on the rear view mirror when I floor it. (for flashing red and blue lights) I did experience a puff of dark smoke last weekend when I did a WOT to 8k but no smoke other than that time. However, my tips are covered in soot, and I clean them every two weeks.

I park in the garage and there are no signs of leaks. I am 1000% positive that I am adding oil to the motor, not the window washing reservoir! :lol:

I am bewildered as to where all the oil is going.

Sponsored

7litergt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (H4200), 1966 Fastback 427W
For those using a lot of oil, have you pulled your spark plugs to see if they are showing symptoms of oil being burned? Might provide some insight.

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That's what's strange about it, I haven't seen any blue smoke, and I do keep an eye on the rear view mirror when I floor it. (for flashing red and blue lights) I did experience a puff of dark smoke last weekend when I did a WOT to 8k but no smoke other than that time. However, my tips are covered in soot, and I clean them every two weeks.

I park in the garage and there are no signs of leaks. I am 1000% positive that I am adding oil to the motor, not the window washing reservoir! :lol:

The catalytic converters take care of the smoke. Both of my engines used more than a quart every tank of gas. I never saw any smoke. The back of the car was black with soot though. When cold starting the cats would drip when warming up. There are still black soot stains from the condensate in my driveway a year later.

Ford ran consumption tests on both engines and decided at my request to buy the car back after they confirmed excessive consumption on the second engine.

It is too bad, I miss the hell out of the car. If they can give the public an explanation of the issues and a solution I would buy one again.

Sammy

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This is interesting to hear that these engines seem to slow down consumption wise as they get more miles on them..

Do they take forever to get properly broken in?

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
My 16 tech was using roughly a quart every three hundred miles at the end before they replaced that engine and there was never any blue smoke.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5

So was my dealer when they were going through the diagnostics in the run up to replacing my engine. IIRC they did just about every test imaginable and couldn't figure out where it was all going either. A very very weird sometimes characteristic of this engine.

I had both catch cans on that car (and on my current one). Even those didn't catch anything more than normal.
Sponsored