Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a balance masters loop but never used it because my vibration i had went away when i added my procharger D1x. I guess the added weight on the motor from the head unit took away the little vibes i had ..if your interested in buying it from me pm me. Its 3.5 “ diameter..
Sponsored

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have recently noticed my vibes are not worse at cruise but when I rip from 60-100mph it gets really bad then goes away soon as I let off the throttle wonder if my carrier bearing could be shot.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I have recently noticed my vibes are not worse at cruise but when I rip from 60-100mph it gets really bad then goes away soon as I let off the throttle wonder if my carrier bearing could be shot.
Could be ... sounds like something is sensitive to power going through it. It would be interesting if someone could rig up a video camera under the car and watch the drive shaft and carrier bearing area while driving around.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So Ford has a "revised" drive shaft for our S550?
Yes, there was some type or revision to the part which supersedes the original. It has been available since SSM46767.

Go to your Ford Dealer and have them pull that SSM.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yes, there was some type or revision to the part which supersedes the original. It has been available since SSM46767.
Anyone have a link to read that one?

Sponsored

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I bought a balance masters loop but never used it because my vibration i had went away when i added my procharger D1x. I guess the added weight on the motor from the head unit took away the little vibes i had ..if your interested in buying it from me pm me. Its 3.5 “ diameter..
Just received a Dynotech but with mine being manual the front flange is 5.5" so my plan is to install and shim the trans right away and see what I get if any vibes my only other idea would be adding a balance loop to the pinion flange.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just received a Dynotech but with mine being manual the front flange is 5.5" so my plan is to install and shim the trans right away and see what I get if any vibes my only other idea would be adding a balance loop to the pinion flange.
The Driveshaft yoke has to be disassemble anyway in order to get the balance masters loop on the shaft.. I imagine that's why its not so popular...folks don't want to do all that...

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
I noticed my vibration after adding a Paxton novi 2200 do you really think the extra weight on the engine could cause this?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes pinion angle is affected by any weight you add to the motor .. in my case it fixed the little vibes i had left after shimming my xmember..in your case you will have fix your angle somewhere else by either by adding aftermarket engine mounts or shims to your Trans xmember but do the #’s 1st.. i lucked out..

Last edited:

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The Driveshaft yoke has to be disassemble anyway in order to get the balance masters loop on the shaft.. I imagine that's why its not so popular...folks don't want to do all that...
Oh ic well hopefully I won't have to go that route, Went to install dynotech today but they sent me the wrong pitch socket head bolts for trans flange, I not even bother contacting them will just pick up the correct ones Monday.

Sponsored

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.discountpackagingdepot.com
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
IT'S FIXED

After 6 months of back and forth with the dealer, they finally fixed my vibration. It's completely gone. FWIW, here's what happened:

Before Xmas, they ordered a new DS (presumably the redesigned one). It was on backorder and didn't come in until March. At the same time, they were waiting for a new piece of NVH diagnostic equipment. It's a revised VCMM (Vehicle Communication Measurement Module) that lets them place sensors around the car, drive it and measure the NVH in real time. The VCMM arrived mid-April and I brought the car over with high hopes.

Well... the VCMM said the DS was fine and that it was a wheel/tire issue along with an unbalanced A/C compressor pulley. Ford tech support hotline told them to replace the A/C compressor - no change. Tech support told them to road force balance the tires - no change. Tech support told them to reindex the tires and the rims - no change. They even took a new set of wheels and tires off a new 2018 - no change.

Tech support wanted them to start all over again from the beginning - balance the DS on the car and go from there. The dealer said f*%k that. They put on the DS they had ordered before Xmas and what do ya know - the vibration went away. They had to index it a couple of times but the vibration is completely gone. No vibration or droning sound at 50 mph. No vibration and shaking rear view mirror at 80 mph.

Keep in mind that over the past 6 months they had already checked the runout of and tried balancing the original DS, replaced the original DS with a "known good" DS. They checked the runout of and tried balancing DS #2. They replaced the entire rear end, road force balanced the tires countless times. They checked the geometry of the entire driveline several times and neutralized the transmission and rear end mounts (which I think means they just loosened the mounting bolts and let them both find their natural resting positions).

It's like driving a completely different car. Smooth as glass at any speed.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
You have an excellent dealer!

grey_horseplay3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang V6 manual
After 6 months of back and forth with the dealer, they finally fixed my vibration. It's completely gone. FWIW, here's what happened:

Before Xmas, they ordered a new DS (presumably the redesigned one). It was on backorder and didn't come in until March. At the same time, they were waiting for a new piece of NVH diagnostic equipment. It's a revised VCMM (Vehicle Communication Measurement Module) that lets them place sensors around the car, drive it and measure the NVH in real time. The VCMM arrived mid-April and I brought the car over with high hopes.

Well... the VCMM said the DS was fine and that it was a wheel/tire issue along with an unbalanced A/C compressor pulley. Ford tech support hotline told them to replace the A/C compressor - no change. Tech support told them to road force balance the tires - no change. Tech support told them to reindex the tires and the rims - no change. They even took a new set of wheels and tires off a new 2018 - no change.

Tech support wanted them to start all over again from the beginning - balance the DS on the car and go from there. The dealer said f*%k that. They put on the DS they had ordered before Xmas and what do ya know - the vibration went away. They had to index it a couple of times but the vibration is completely gone. No vibration or droning sound at 50 mph. No vibration and shaking rear view mirror at 80 mph.

Keep in mind that over the past 6 months they had already checked the runout of and tried balancing the original DS, replaced the original DS with a "known good" DS. They checked the runout of and tried balancing DS #2. They replaced the entire rear end, road force balanced the tires countless times. They checked the geometry of the entire driveline several times and neutralized the transmission and rear end mounts (which I think means they just loosened the mounting bolts and let them both find their natural resting positions).

It's like driving a completely different car. Smooth as glass at any speed.
Good to hear, I hope this is the end of your vibe troubles! I've already had 3 new driveshafts put in by my dealer. Last time they sent it out to a known shop that specializes in driveshaft repairs to have it balanced. Got it back and it was smooth for a couple days.....but inevitably it returned.

2017 v6 manual w/3.55 diff ....only bought the car last September. I'm wondering if to install the Steeda diff bushings/IRS alignment kit/subframe braces and lowering springs....or just trade it in for something else and not waste my time/money. Anyone know if the 2018 Ecoboosts have this issue ?

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.discountpackagingdepot.com
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Good to hear, I hope this is the end of your vibe troubles! I've already had 3 new driveshafts put in by my dealer. Last time they sent it out to a known shop that specializes in driveshaft repairs to have it balanced. Got it back and it was smooth for a couple days.....but inevitably it returned.

2017 v6 manual w/3.55 diff ....only bought the car last September. I'm wondering if to install the Steeda diff bushings/IRS alignment kit/subframe braces and lowering springs....or just trade it in for something else and not waste my time/money. Anyone know if the 2018 Ecoboosts have this issue ?
I was considering that too. Some people in this thread have had success with the Steeda parts. Before spending $$ on that, I'd ask a few questions: did they verify the driveline angles? If they say "of course we did that" ask them for the runout readings on the DS tube, trans output shaft, diff flange/bearing and the DS center support bearing.

If you're not super-technical, this web page explains a lot:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/1712-quick-tech-driveline-diagnostics/

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Steeda parts are great but unfortunately for me the alignment bushings and braces didn't solve my vibration I've decided to go the 1 peice shaft route and shim trans will post results soon.
Sponsored