Sponsored

Big Oil Leak and Hesitation

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Recently I've gotten a decent sized oil leak in the general spot that I've seen. The whole front of the block, although it's enough to actually cause puddles in all of the crevices, but also leaking pretty good from the cover. How long did most of you guys have to keep it in the shop for it to be fixed?

I'm also having some hesitation issues at partial throttle under 3000 rpm. It kind of hangs and really isn't sure what to do it feels like. The hesitation, and presumed lack of power can definitely be felt. After that it pulls just fine. Just seems like 2000-3000 is hesitating to put any power into it (1st and 2nd gear). 3rd gear and up are just fine in these ranges. You can actually hear a pretty distinct sound from the exhaust where it starts to hang. Plugs have been checked. The are the NGK's from Tune+. Now that I think of it I've had quite a few massive stumbles at idle as well. The usual 100 or so dip while idling, but have noticed it drop to 400~ or so many times here recently, and quite a bit more "ticky" than usual. Anyone experience this?

20180503_162656.jpg

20180503_162647.jpg
Sponsored

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Bottom left bolt is a simple fix with 20 minutes of your time. Remove it and apply RTV, done.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It should be fixable under warranty. That spot on the left side (in your pic) is the most common for oil seepage. Apparently no one at Ford (or the robots aren’t programmed) to put some silicone sealant on those bolts before assembly. That area has been addressed in a few early threads on the 2015-2016’s as well.

The top seepage is probably valve cover but hard to say.

Last edited:

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Subscribing to this. I have the same oil leak. The hesitation issue you describe is nearly Identical to what I’m experiencing. I’ve change plugs to check that. The problem seems to not happen has much when I ran some Lucas deep clean. I need to get the part # that was replaced previously by the dealer it may help you situation. Standby by I’m at work now.

Doug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I had a leaking front cover replaced under warranty. I spoke with the tech afterward and he said he's seen a few where the RTV was kind of thin from the factory and he made sure to seal up up well.

First they put dye in the oil and let me put some miles on the car. They had it for about a day and a half for the repair. They also found my water pump to have a slight leak which they also replaced so the that probably added a day to get the water pump.

Sponsored

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Subscribing to this. I have the same oil leak. The hesitation issue you describe is nearly Identical to what I’m experiencing. I’ve change plugs to check that. The problem seems to not happen has much when I ran some Lucas deep clean. I need to get the part # that was replaced previously by the dealer it may help you situation. Standby by I’m at work now.
Update this was the part number:
FR3Z*9G297*C

I believe this is around $30 and look very easy to install, do your research though. Might be worth a try if you can't stand waiting for the dealer.

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It should be fixable under warranty. That spot on the left side (in your pic) is the most common for oil seepage. Apparently no one at Ford (or the robots aren’t programmed) to put some silicone sealant on those bolts before assembly. That area has been addressed in a few early threads on the 2015-2016’s as well.

The top seepage is probably valve cover but hard to say.
It's definitely the valve cover. Just seems like quite a bit for such low miles. Both of these started within the last 200 miles or so. Especially that the driver side oil goes up much further than the passenger side where most are getting the leak from, as that side actually goes above the top pulley.

For those of you that did have it done, did they clean up the front of the block or did they leave it oil soaked?

Also anyone else with the hesitation issue? Anyone that had the same fix as DUNDEM?

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Recently I've gotten a decent sized oil leak in the general spot that I've seen. The whole front of the block, although it's enough to actually cause puddles in all of the crevices, but also leaking pretty good from the cover. How long did most of you guys have to keep it in the shop for it to be fixed?

I'm also having some hesitation issues at partial throttle under 3000 rpm. It kind of hangs and really isn't sure what to do it feels like. The hesitation, and presumed lack of power can definitely be felt. After that it pulls just fine. Just seems like 2000-3000 is hesitating to put any power into it (1st and 2nd gear). 3rd gear and up are just fine in these ranges. You can actually hear a pretty distinct sound from the exhaust where it starts to hang. Plugs have been checked. The are the NGK's from Tune+. Now that I think of it I've had quite a few massive stumbles at idle as well. The usual 100 or so dip while idling, but have noticed it drop to 400~ or so many times here recently, and quite a bit more "ticky" than usual. Anyone experience this?

20180503_162656.jpg

20180503_162647.jpg
Just started to notice the same exact issue on mine. Did you get any updates? Mine does not leak that bad though but the hesitation at 3k RPMs is highly noticeable but once it passes it, it runs just fine

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just started to notice the same exact issue on mine. Did you get any updates? Mine does not leak that bad though but the hesitation at 3k RPMs is highly noticeable but once it passes it, it runs just fine
I'm actually hoping to go in tomorrow to talk to them about it. Work has been crazy busy and by the time I get off they are closed.

I'm not SUPER worried by the leak as it's far too common on these motors.

The hesitation though is what bothers me. Any mods on your end? About the only thing I have left to do on mine is a bigger turbo haha, so it's hard to rule out anything. But I will say it did do it before the resonator delete and tune. So I do know that those two aren't the issue. I put my recirc tube back on and it definitely feels much smoother, my girl definitely agrees (Hell she was the one who mentioned it). Plugs are about 5k miles old, and the Tune+ pregap, and are still right at .028.

It's started the hesitation in the last maybe 2 months, and as I said it's definitely gotten..."tickier". It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't so damn apparent. Like incredibly noticeable.

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
I have same symptoms that I feel were NOT there after I had all the same parts installed ( ProCal, CAI, IC, also blow off valve) I will need to check for the oil leak

Sponsored

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
I'm actually hoping to go in tomorrow to talk to them about it. Work has been crazy busy and by the time I get off they are closed.

I'm not SUPER worried by the leak as it's far too common on these motors.

The hesitation though is what bothers me. Any mods on your end? About the only thing I have left to do on mine is a bigger turbo haha, so it's hard to rule out anything. But I will say it did do it before the resonator delete and tune. So I do know that those two aren't the issue. I put my recirc tube back on and it definitely feels much smoother, my girl definitely agrees (Hell she was the one who mentioned it). Plugs are about 5k miles old, and the Tune+ pregap, and are still right at .028.

It's started the hesitation in the last maybe 2 months, and as I said it's definitely gotten..."tickier". It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't so damn apparent. Like incredibly noticeable.
No mods on my end other than a Levels IC that I personally installed and actually tighted those turbo pipes even more as they were pretty loose.

I am bringing mine in on Monday but I have no hope... they are going to go with the typical "we couldn't replicate the issue" or my favorite: "it is normal operation". Another annoying issue is that the more I warm up the car the less I hear them and I end up having no hesitation at all so by the time I will get to the dealer the problem will not be there...

I actually connected Forscan and found the following code in the PCM: p0316 (Misfire detected on startup)... I also put a few graphs on Forscan and found that I was getting some misfires as I accelerated and was getting into the area where all my hesitation happens. Is it normal for an engine to have a few misfires here and there? No engine lights show up at all.

On my way to work today I did a couple pulls and was obvious that the problem is still there... What truly bothers me is the "pop pop" sounds I hear when the hesitation happens, they are like deep and empty sounding noises.

Did you have any luck on your trip to the dealer?

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Bottom left bolt is a simple fix with 20 minutes of your time. Remove it and apply RTV, done.
Hey Marvin - when you say "bottom left bolt"...which of those 2 visible nuts are you referring to? I haven't touched mine, but they both appear to be studs with a nut secured over the black plastic part. Are they indeed studs rather than bolts? And to what surface is the sealer applied, please?

Last edited:

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
It's the lower one in the circled area. It comes out as 1 piece if I remember correctly. So it's a bolt with a nut in the middle of the stud or a bolt with an extended stud on top the nut lol

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Oh no, I would be making a case with Ford if I had a leak like that let alone the valve cover, a new car leaking or sweating oil is not acceptable to me. Ford cheaped out as fuck not getting gaskets. I have a 12 year old RSX Type-s with 130k miles without a trace of oil, when I see quality comparisons it really does remind you of the superior Japanese craftsmanship.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang

Just as an FYI, the pop pop sounds I hear are really obvious when I listened to the video on my phone (full volume) but could not hear crap on my computer.

They start at around 2.5 seconds and stop at around the 7 second mark. These sounds happen also at the same rpm range I have the hesitation (3-4k rpms).
Sponsored