Sponsored

Ford Axing all cars except Mustang and Focus Active Crossover in North America

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Behold the 380 lb-ft torque 2017-2018 Fusion Sport engine: a twin turbo EcoBoost V-6 - the same engineering masterpiece also used in several other Ford and Lincoln products.

And note the 380 lb-ft of torque: the same rating as the late Boss 302 Mustang. You feel it when you drive the Fusion Sport.

If you want what is essentially a V-8 gas-engine AWD sport sedan, this is the closest you'll ever see again from Ford. Only the MKZ, offering an even more powerful version of this engine family along with the RS's torque proportioning differential as an option, goes further (at far higher cost).

The Fusion Sport was created by a small and dedicated group of Ford engineers and enthusiasts who made the business case for it and then went to work. I met some of them at a press event, and I saw the prototypes driving around the streets of Dearborn. And the instant torque from this engine is gratifying and very usable in the real world.. there is nothing like a turbocharged engine in drivability and passing is especially fun (and fast) in this car.

And the shame of it is, like the other cancelled Ford sedans, that it is barely known much less advertised. And it's hard to find on the lots. Competition? There isn't anything like the AWD twin-turbo V-6 Fusion Sport from GM (the numb Cruze, Malibu and Impala are especially boring) or Toyota (the Camry sport is a poseur joke) or Honda (which probably owns the sport market with their new turbo 4 cylinder and 6-speed manual).

Oh yea, the same engine, detuned for regular (350 lb-ft), was offered in platform-mate Edge, and now in full tune (380 lb-ft, with 10 extra HP courtesy of the Lincoln tune) in the upcoming Edge ST and with the new 8-speed. And with an inherently much higher center of gravity... there is no sporting ability in the Edge ST. And shame on Ford for badging this as an ST - this SUV is not worthy of that badge when compared with the legendary Cosworth, ST and RS cars of the past. Bah.

A real shame that Ford yet again and so typically given up on products that were barely advertised, were barely improved over their lifespan, and then are just through away. We have seen this time and again. Just as we've seen a couple of there engineers create something terrific - only to have it waste away. That's the real problem with Ford.

And this cancellation despite the lessons learned from the Mustang - where you create an enthusiast following, continuously improve the products, and (most especially) sell it in a worldwide market to get maximum return from the engineering investment. That saved the Mustang from the dead several times, and it should be the lesson learned that would create the right products and keep them so.

2017-Ford-Fusion-Sport-2-7-liter-EcoBoost-V-6.jpg
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The move will be smart in the sense that Ford has backed themselves into this corner.

They have to drop the revenue sucking products, in which they don't compete very well in right now.
If they don't compete very well in that market segment now, how well do you think they'd be able to compete in it if interest in sedans picks up again (and they don't have anybody with the right kind of thinking for sedans left on board)?

Norm

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
So, Fords outsourcing their only remaining sedan and putting all their eggs into the crossover/SUV types. Dumbest. Idea. Ever. I love sedans, wanted to get a redesigned Fusion with AWD when I was ready, but oh well. I guess I’ll be shopping European brands for that when the time comes. I love Ford, but management is making a big mistake imo. I hope when gas goes to over $3 a gallon , it doesn’t bite them in the ass. Btw, if you think this came out of the blue you’re wrong. Ford intentionally didn’t redesign the Fusion nor the Taurus for years so they could steer this trend to make more money. SUVs are more profitable than sedans. At least they are keeping the Mustang.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
So, Fords outsourcing their only remaining sedan and putting all their eggs into the crossover/SUV types. Dumbest. Idea. Ever. I love sedans, wanted to get a redesigned Fusion with AWD when I was ready, but oh well. I guess I’ll be shopping European brands for that when the time comes. I love Ford, but management is making a big mistake imo. I hope when gas goes to over $3 a gallon , it doesn’t bite them in the ass. Btw, if you think this came out of the blue you’re wrong. Ford intentionally didn’t redesign the Fusion nor the Taurus for years so they could steer this trend to make more money. SUVs are more profitable than sedans. At least they are keeping the Mustang.
Agreed, been buying ford's for nearly 40 years and for the first time when we are ready for new daily drivers will probably look elsewhere. My wife was hoping to move up to the Fusion Sport and I was hoping Ford would bring the new Taurus to the US but apparently being able to get a 25k car optioned up to nearly 50k isn't enough profit margin.

The greedy learn lessons the hard way and I think Ford is well on its way to finding that out, again.

Sponsored

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Behold the 380 lb-ft torque 2017-2018 Fusion Sport engine: a twin turbo EcoBoost V-6 - the same engineering masterpiece also used in several other Ford and Lincoln products.

And note the 380 lb-ft of torque: the same rating as the late Boss 302 Mustang. You feel it when you drive the Fusion Sport.

If you want what is essentially a V-8 gas-engine AWD sport sedan, this is the closest you'll ever see again from Ford. Only the MKZ, offering an even more powerful version of this engine family along with the RS's torque proportioning differential as an option, goes further (at far higher cost).

The Fusion Sport was created by a small and dedicated group of Ford engineers and enthusiasts who made the business case for it and then went to work. I met some of them at a press event, and I saw the prototypes driving around the streets of Dearborn. And the instant torque from this engine is gratifying and very usable in the real world.. there is nothing like a turbocharged engine in drivability and passing is especially fun (and fast) in this car.

And the shame of it is, like the other cancelled Ford sedans, that it is barely known much less advertised. And it's hard to find on the lots. Competition? There isn't anything like the AWD twin-turbo V-6 Fusion Sport from GM (the numb Cruze, Malibu and Impala are especially boring) or Toyota (the Camry sport is a poseur joke) or Honda (which probably owns the sport market with their new turbo 4 cylinder and 6-speed manual).

Oh yea, the same engine, detuned for regular (350 lb-ft), was offered in platform-mate Edge, and now in full tune (380 lb-ft, with 10 extra HP courtesy of the Lincoln tune) in the upcoming Edge ST and with the new 8-speed. And with an inherently much higher center of gravity... there is no sporting ability in the Edge ST. And shame on Ford for badging this as an ST - this SUV is not worthy of that badge when compared with the legendary Cosworth, ST and RS cars of the past. Bah.

A real shame that Ford yet again and so typically given up on products that were barely advertised, were barely improved over their lifespan, and then are just through away. We have seen this time and again. Just as we've seen a couple of there engineers create something terrific - only to have it waste away. That's the real problem with Ford.

And this cancellation despite the lessons learned from the Mustang - where you create an enthusiast following, continuously improve the products, and (most especially) sell it in a worldwide market to get maximum return from the engineering investment. That saved the Mustang from the dead several times, and it should be the lesson learned that would create the right products and keep them so.

2017-Ford-Fusion-Sport-2-7-liter-EcoBoost-V-6.jpg
Yes and Yes. Keep a nameplate and improved it. This has been the key to sustained growth and market presence to build a product that has a good past that can be trusted in the public eye. Ford killed that with so many different models and names that got thrown away and other reliability issues. (same with GM). All these years and still haven't Learned a few things from Toyota and Honda. Ford has kept the Mustang, but some of those years where some pretty crappy built models.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I still feel the Fusion SPort should have been called the Fusion SHO.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I'm hoping the plan is to stop making the cars so they can upgrade and hopefully come out with electric cars later.

I did not understand this announcement, but then I don't follow Ford that closely.

Less "feet" in the parking lot is something I'd consider. Wonder how many people went there to look at cars and left with a truck? My aunt and uncle did just that. She wanted a car and then she walked away with an SUV (they are a Ford family).

See how this happens... sometimes great decisions are not popular...

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'm part of the suv cuv thing. My daily driver is a 13 Escape Titanium AWD. Where I live I have to a 4wd and the Fusion just didn't have enough ground clearance deep snows. My last daily driver was a 02 Focus zx3 one one the funnest cars I've ever owned and if I didn't live where I do now I'd probably still be driving her. Don't get me wrong my Escape is probably the best car I've ever owned but I'm a car guy love those 2 door and 4 door cars. And if one day I can go back to a family car for a daily driver then Ford won't have anything for me because the Focus active is a cuv not a car yes Ford motor company we can tell the difference.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Remember when muscle cars died in the 70s. I remember it well. Everyone saying that you will never see a 300HP car again. Hogwash. Times and consumer demand will determine the products produced.
They can come up with an incredible sedan again if the market demands it. F150s, Explorers, Expeditions, Escapes and now the new Bronco, Ranger and frame Explorer are where demand and profits are at. Ford really invented the modern SUV in 1991. A brilliant move that the rest of the industry eventually copied.
I would honestly have a 400HP explorer than another sedan with 400HP. The sedans are a dime a dozen. I'm saving my pennies for the new Bronco/Explorer/Ranger. I personally am much more excited about that product than a 400HP Fusion.

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I'm hoping the plan is to stop making the cars so they can upgrade and hopefully come out with electric cars later.

I did not understand this announcement, but then I don't follow Ford that closely.

Less "feet" in the parking lot is something I'd consider. Wonder how many people went there to look at cars and left with a truck? My aunt and uncle did just that. She wanted a car and then she walked away with an SUV (they are a Ford family).

See how this happens... sometimes great decisions are not popular...
I'm hoping electric cars die.

As an IT guy and tech enthusiast I utterly hate everything tech is doing to the auto industry.

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^That won't happen. I do agree that technology has gotten comical if not downright dangerous. Autonomous driving vehicles has to be the dregs of thought. Notice the commercials show the driver with folded arms. I don't think I ever needed to fold my arms in the 40+ years I've been driving. What happens during a blowout, does the system monitor the TPMS sensors and make a decision?

WVMtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I bleed Ford blue and own a 2018 mustang gt and 2015 ecoboost f150, but Ford sedans have never interested me. There are multiple brands of sedans i would choose before Ford.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
. My wife was hoping to move up to the Fusion Sport and I was hoping Ford would bring the new Taurus to the US .
The new Taurus - aka the Chinese market Taurus, was never going to come to North America under any circumstances. It's built on an enlarged Fusion chassis, the same one that is used for the Continental. And that's the problem... if the new Taurus was sold here, it'd be a cheaper version of the Continental just as the Expedition is a cheaper version of the Navigator, or the upcoming new Aviator and the upcoming new Explorer. MANY buyers would just buy the Ford version of the car, unless they want the 40-way seats and the best leather. It's hard to make a case of the Lincoln versions against the Ford versions... although I will say that the MKC is about twice as good as the Escape because of a far better dash and seats, and less clunky styling.

Fusion Sport is still available, and maybe thru 2019 too. Seats are *great*, they are reskinned Titanium seats (or if you look at the Mondeo worldwide, you'll find the same seats as the Sport worldwide).

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still feel the Fusion SPort should have been called the Fusion SHO.
Absolutely... the current SHO (and soon to be dead), is a huge pig compared to the original SHO (of which I had two). It's huge, heavy (4,368 base) and ungainly. By comparison, the Fusion Sport is a good size, agile, and much more comfortable. The 3.5EB won't fit this chassis, but the 2.7 and 3.0 (Lincoln version) do.
And while we'll never know now, certainly somebody inside Ford was planning a Fusion ST when the Fusion was to be updated (the update that was cancelled)... it could have been built with the Lincoln MKZ's 3 liter (400 HP, 400 tq) and the trick differential it that the MKZ uses out of the Focus RS. All bolt-on assembly line ready parts since the MKZ is the same chassis and a Fusion underneath.
Remember, too, the Mondeo in Europe has had an ST version in the past... we got most of it as the SVT Contour once upon a time.
Fast Ford sedans have always been around in Europe... we've only had 1 or 2 that came out of the United States in the 80s and up, as the Sport did (although the rest of the Fusion was engineered and tuned in Europe and it shows).
Sponsored