Sponsored

Has anyone had a loud exhaust ticket?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Base GT350. Yeah, not exactly quiet. GT350R/resonator delete car? Yeah, pretty damn loud. And those resonators are packed so they'll get louder. And I put on the Ford Performance filter by Airaid recently to replace my paper filter. I think it got louder again...I think. I know it sounds far fetched and I would almost always think the same but I'm not sure.
Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
No problems in Arkansas. But I've also got a 66 427 Vette with 12:1 compression, solids, 256/266 @.050 cam, 7500 rpm valve train, 2-1/2 inch straight thru side pipes and 4.11 rear and my GT350 with exhaust open is a kitty cat compared to it (seems the forum doesn't like *****).

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Pretty hilarious video. In the 60's JC Whitney actually sold a kit with a speaker that played the sound of screeching tires for those poor souls who lacked the torque to actually light 'em up.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So what if you get pulled over. You flip the quiet switch and tell the cop it must have been some other Mustang.

Sponsored

extrachrispy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red w/black OTT, conv. pkg.
As I posted in another thread, I follow the "don't be a dick" rule: keep it in normal mode in residential areas before 8AM or after 8PM. The cops congregate where people are complaining, so don't give them extra reasons to complain.

Plus, you know, don't be a dick: People have to sleep sometime, and parents of small children will be quite unimpressed if your car wakes up the kids.

Personal experience: they run major speed enforcement through Jonestown, Texas, along 1431 from time to time (limit drops from 55 to 45, as there are a lot of blind side streets on this winding up-and-down road). I rolled through last Sunday, in sport mode, in 5th, but kept my foot out of it, giving barely enough throttle to maintain momentum, and didn't get a second look. I was also going 35mph past the deputy. :cool:

Last edited:

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I don't have a GT350 , but I have gotten fix it tickets in the past for having a muffler that sounded too loud to the policemen. I have not known of a policeman to use anything to measure the sound. They just make a judgement call if the muffler sounds louder than most cars.

swamp_gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
While I haven't directly been issued a ticket for valves open, 'sport mode', I have been issued a ticket while on a spirited drive in 'Mexico'. I'm certain it was the audible carnage emanating from the rear of the vehicle, combined with my poor decision to follow the same route on a return voyage back home. I know louder sounds cool, and many can't wait to chop off resonators if they have them, but keep in mind that anything over 4K RPM, and especially creeping up near redline, can travel for miles. The stock GT350 is pretty damn loud in sport mode, and this may lead to more tickets, directly or indirectly.

Personally, I like the harmonics of the exhaust with the resonators intact. Our exhaust systems are like a musical instrument, and if you play the gas pedal correctly, you can generate all the poppage and gurgling that your heart desires, with or without resonators. When I was a kid in high school, I had a straight pipe on my car, and I learned that if you were decelerating with your foot just slightly depressing on the pedal, it would make many more magnificent sounds. The same holds true with the GT350.

Sponsored

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
For track only? Like the tech pack? I spent a year, until I changed my transmission, being told my tech pack was for the street only. Can I even have a track only track mode and open exhaust if my car is not track worthy?

A lot of tracks are starting to get pretty serious noise requirements on them, and you'll have to know how loud the car is. The street complaint sounds more like "son, your taillight is out" to me or is subjective enough to fight. I got kicked out of a 99db/82db at fence track night recently with a Borla Ford Performance.
Lmao.... now you’ve done it...

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Okay, not sure if you're being a smartass or not. But all of the track apps, including flipping open the exhaust, that would otherwise constitute reckless driving such as line lock, sport, track, drag mode, and performance recording, are all "Track Use Only."

ford-mustang-track-test-review-2015_69.jpg

Whatever beef you have with your Tech car or whatever is irrelevant to the conversation. What IS relevant though is that your car, Tech Pack or otherwise, with the valves open is technically in an illegal driving state. However...doesn't stop me. And I'm sure it doesn't stop you either.

So yes, you technically can get a noise ticket with the valves open. For being right out of the box, this car is freakin' loud with Sport Exhaust active.

I would respectfully disagree. You can open the exhaust with a switch (at least on the Tech Pack) in any driving mode. Nothing says off road only. It’s Oem equipment, 50 stat legal as I see it. Would be interested in knowing how that holds up...

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would respectfully disagree. You can open the exhaust with a switch (at least on the Tech Pack) in any driving mode. Nothing says off road only. It’s Oem equipment, 50 stat legal as I see it. Would be interested in knowing how that holds up...
The menu will say Track Only when you flip the switch. Again, I run my shit in Sport ALWAYS all the time. But I still know it's technically a road violation. Just like speed. Just because you can hit 150MPH in a road legal car doesn't mean you're legally allowed to. But...I'm sure we've all done too, now haven't we.:cheers:

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
The menu will say Track Only when you flip the switch. Again, I run my shit in Sport ALWAYS all the time. But I still know it's technically a road violation. Just like speed. Just because you can hit 150MPH in a road legal car doesn't mean you're legally allowed to. But...I'm sure we've all done too, now haven't we.:cheers:
Man if it does I’ve never seen it. I’ll check it out when I get home. As far as going 150 in my car on the road.... never, that I saw. It was past there when I looked. 168-170.... well maybe but I’m not sure because I only glanced down once really quickly. :ninja:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The menu will say Track Only when you flip the switch...
Actually, when you toggle the switch on the center console, it doesn't say anything about track only. Nor should it - the exhaust valves open automatically at about 1/2 throttle in every gear except 6th regardless of driving mode.
Sponsored