dropped keyfob

Rasn1320

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jer
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT premium 5.0 black accent pack, 3.55 gears
dropped my keyfob today on garage floor,didnt break or anything,has anyone else had this happen and it not work later on or lose its program?? Prob just being paranoid but thought id ask. thx
Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Yes. If it's still working it will likely continue working. There isn't much in their to break easily, and it's highly unlikely for it to stop working if it's fine immediately after dropping.

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Keyfobs are designed to be able to withstand a standard drop test, at least, which is 6' onto cement. That being said, anything can happen. I'd think i'd just go on with my life knowing the engineers took this happenstance into consideration when designing the fob.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
There are no moving parts in the keyfob, and it might seem crazy, but the days where you knock on some electronics to get it working again after it failing are long gone. The only possible reason why banging an electronic fixes it is there are multiple PCB boards connected together via a plug or slot of some kind and it might come loose, otherwise, if it's a single PCB board and everything is soldered properly, it will most likely be fine, the reason I say most likely is there's always a chance that you actually breaking a component by banging on it too hard. But in whatever case, if it works after the drop, it'll keep working (till the battery runs out or some other accident it might go through).

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What a coincidence, I've owned the car for almost 3 years now and just dropped my fob on the garage floor yesterday. All is good.

Keyfobs are designed to be able to withstand a standard drop test, at least, which is 6' onto cement. That being said, anything can happen. I'd think i'd just go on with my life knowing the engineers took this happenstance into consideration when designing the fob.
Funny story, back in college drinking with my roommate I got it in my head that a beer bottle must be designed to withstand a 6 foot drop on the kitchen linoleum floor. Being an Engineering major it sounded logical at the time, my roommate doubted me (as he should). So I showed him twice and both times the full bottle of beer survived. Then he tried it with his next beer, that didn't work out so well, turns out I was wrong, lol.

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
There are no moving parts in the keyfob, and it might seem crazy, but the days where you knock on some electronics to get it working again after it failing are long gone. The only possible reason why banging an electronic fixes it is there are multiple PCB boards connected together via a plug or slot of some kind and it might come loose, otherwise, if it's a single PCB board and everything is soldered properly, it will most likely be fine, the reason I say most likely is there's always a chance that you actually breaking a component by banging on it too hard. But in whatever case, if it works after the drop, it'll keep working (till the battery runs out or some other accident it might go through).
Sure there's moving parts in them. What to you think happens when you press the button? A piece of plastic flexes, which allows it to push a harder material inside a rubber membrane below the button, which in turn presses a microswitch on the circuit board of the fob.

Ask me how I know (my son threw sand on me at the beach, which happened to get lots of sand in the fob that was in my pocket, and jammed it up...fortunately my wife was there with us, so I could use her fob until I could get home and disassemble/clean my fob... :frusty:)

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
yes it works..just becomes uglier thats all

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
Man, if dropping the keyfob was an issue, I would be screwed. I'm dropping that thing ALL THE TIME.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Sure there's moving parts in them. What to you think happens when you press the button? A piece of plastic flexes, which allows it to push a harder material inside a rubber membrane below the button, which in turn presses a microswitch on the circuit board of the fob.

Ask me how I know (my son threw sand on me at the beach, which happened to get lots of sand in the fob that was in my pocket, and jammed it up...fortunately my wife was there with us, so I could use her fob until I could get home and disassemble/clean my fob... :frusty:)
That doesn't count as moving parts... moving parts means it will move on it's own, i.e. motor of some kind. Anything will be a moving part if you say the micro switch is a moving part.
Sponsored