Sponsored

Oil change....why can’t I trust the dealer.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer tech's either were not informed by Asst. Service Mgr. I had my own oil or forgot. My last oil change was $21.00 but semi-synthetic was used. Service Dept. was out of Racing filters as well. Mercy!
Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
That is the trick... lesson learned yesterday..

The oil flow quickly outpaced the drain pans ability to accept the oil... thus about 4 quarts ended on the garage floor.
I didn't have this problem when I changed mine last year - I have a similar "closed pan"? It looks like the white screw on cap is present in your picture. If you remove that, oil will drain in faster. Also, you can drill some additional holes to facilitate draining.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I didn't have this problem when I changed mine last year - I have a similar "closed pan"? It looks like the white screw on cap is present in your picture. If you remove that, oil will drain in faster. Also, you can drill some additional holes to facilitate draining.
Same here - I have a large rectangular one that’s closed and it worked great. Probably because it has more surface area.

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
my shitty ford dealer forgot to torq the filter and it came loose and dumped oil all over my garage..they are all bums

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Same. I had a dealer do it just so that it's documented as having done by the dealer while under warranty, and that way if something happens to the engine no one can say it had anything to do with my working on the car myself. Luckily my local dealer was awed by the car having never seen an R before, and they let me back into the shop to stand there and watch as they changed the oil, then charged me just for the cost of the oil and filter, saying it was their pleasure being able to work on a car like this.
Same with my dealerships I work with. It's also all about how you treat the dealership. Some people are just straight up douche bags to the dealership even before they've gotten started. So if I'm a tech, yeah I'm not gonna give a rat's dick about your shit because you're being an asshole without cause. Before I had my first service I wanted to meet the tech who was going to work on my car, shake his hand, and say thank you. Both dealerships have done an awesome job at giving me a first rate experience such as showing me my oil and filter, my bad half shaft, and pics of my AC being replaced.

Sponsored

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
That is the trick... lesson learned yesterday..

The oil flow quickly outpaced the drain pans ability to accept the oil... thus about 4 quarts ended on the garage floor.
Same thing happened when I changed mine. Glad my garage floor was epoxied! One thing I did afterwards was drill a bunch of holes in the drain pan top - debating whether to try it or just get another drain pan with completely open top.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Same thing happened when I changed mine. Glad my garage floor was epoxied! One thing I did afterwards was drill a bunch of holes in the drain pan top - debating whether to try it or just get another drain pan with completely open top.
Open top is the way to go. That's what I do.

r1racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
No way in hell I'm going to the dealer for any maintenance...after 1000 miles my filter was loose...I noticed I had lost a quart after one drive and a greasy engine bay.

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
I have 33% oil life left with only 600 miles on the car. I’m sure it’s due to the time....not the mileage. My question is, why can’t it trust the dealers by me to not fuck up my car!? I want to do it myself, but I don’t have a jack....not am I confident to do it myself. So.....I should go to the dealer, but this is my “Ferrari”, so I want it treated as such.

I know it’s not a big deal, but.......
It’s never easy to trust the dealers. I’ll tell you the story about my first oil change. I am fully capable to do it myself but wanted at least the first one documented my them. During the change they managed to fling oil all over the side of my car because someone spilled oil and they drove my car through it. Then without asking me decided to wash the car. Well one of the techs must’ve used a dirty towel because they put a scratch end to end on my spoiler. Never going back there again.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Open top is the way to go. That's what I do.
That's my next purchase. If I even bother changing it again. If it weren't for the deal I got on the oil and filter it would have been much easier just to have it done.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was fortunate to have warnings from people here, but all I did was to only partially pull the plug out - using the plug itself to slow the flow of oil out of the oil pan. That worked great.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R

AXO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt, Ruby Red Metallic, Premium, PP, 401a
I just had my oil changed at my local Ford dealership (Al Packer West). It was $73 for full synthentic and a filter. It took them about an hour and a half. Car drove nice on the way home. I parked it in my garage as I always do.

The next day I back it out of the garage to wash it and low and behold I have a small puddle of oil on my painted garage floor. This instantly puts me into a bad mood. I am thinking how hard is it to change the oil, especially when you have a lift!

I take it back to the dealer and one of the managers is very apologetic and promptly takes my car back into the garage area. It was learned the oil change guy must have dumped oil down the front of my engine when changing the oil filter and the excess ran off onto the lower skid plate and onto my floor. They clean up my engine compartment and returned the vehicle to me. I again park it in my garage when I get home.

I have a Company vehicle, so I don't drive my Mustang very often, maybe once or twice a week when I am off. So now a week has past by and I am driving my daughter to work and now my A/C doesnt work............. It should be noted that I have never had a problem with my Mustang until this oil change. I have only driven it 30 miles from the time of the original oil change. Now it has to go to the dealer again!

I recommend changing the oil yourself and holding onto your receipts or have it changed at a garage that has experienced mechanics........ My experience with this dealer has been horrible!

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I have an appointment today to take mine to the dealer for the first time for an oil change. I have the oil and the filter, they are just charging me $14 for the labor. We'll see how it goes. Sure beats putting it up on jack stands.
Sponsored