Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Anyone else's Waze supper laggy to the point that they can't even use it?
I'm using Waze via Android Auto. I use an LG V30 and connect to the USB port in the console. Waze functions smoothly with no sign of lag.

You might get more help if you include some context: How exactly are you using Waze? On iPhone or Android? Via Carplay/AA or stand alone? Etc.
Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I've been a little confused on this topic involving Waze and Sync 3. Is this Waze being used through Android Auto or carplay or is it a Sync3 app like Pandora/Sirius?

I have Waze on my Note 8 but it doesn't show on Sync 3.
It's a Sync 3 app, so those of us with Apple CarPlay could use it; But, to use Sync Apps then CarPlay must be disabled. I'll continue to use CarPlay, I like the integration with my phone.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Using the Ford Applink on my iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 10.2

I have a feeling people on iPhones that just now got the ability to use Waze on the touchscreen are the ones that are experiencing issues with Waze being super laggy and unable. I hope I am wrong tho

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.discountpackagingdepot.com
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I've been a little confused on this topic involving Waze and Sync 3. Is this Waze being used through Android Auto or carplay or is it a Sync3 app like Pandora/Sirius?

I have an iPhone X and am using Waze like a Sync3 app a la Pandora/Sirius. Here's what I did (I'm going by memory as I did this a couple of weeks ago).

I started by upgrading to the latest version of Sync3 and of course couldn't get Waze to work. I did a Sync master reset, turned off apple CarPlay capability for my phone in Sync and deleted my car from the CarPlay in Settings on my iPhone (I think this step keeps the phone from trying to connect to Sync CarPlay).

I shut down all apps on my phone, rebooted the phone and plugged it in via the USB in the center console (Waze maps won't show via bluetooth). When you do this, there's a message that shows at the top of the Sync screen indicating that your phone has been connected and indexed successfully. Then I started Waze on my phone and hit the Navigation icon on Sync. It asked me if I wanted to use the in-car nav or Waze. I picked Waze and lo and behold it displayed on Sync.

Here's what I've figured out: Waze has to be running in the foreground on your iPhone. If you run another app like Pandora, the Sync nav screen will tell you that Waze is operating in the background. Also, if you let the phone go to sleep, Waze will stop updating to Sync. If you want to use Waze, you've got to keep it running in the foreground while keeping your phone from going to sleep.

I'll admit it's still a bit buggy. I use the Audible app (can only listen to so much music before getting bored). I find that Waze doesn't want to connect to sync when the Audible app is running.

Also, I did find Waze to be laggy but only when approaching a destination like a hotel in a city or town with a lot of streets. It knows where it should go but seems like it has to think for a while when you're on the move meaning you miss a turn, etc.

I can only speak for the iPhone. I don't know how this works on Android. Good luck.

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
18025 suppose to make WAZE native on SYNC? Not after my update...

Also, 18025 is very slow to respond in any mode. Should have stayed with 17xxx.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
18025 suppose to make WAZE native on SYNC? Not after my update...

Also, 18025 is very slow to respond in any mode. Should have stayed with 17xxx.
no, any v3.0 build supports waze.

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^Right, from a phone. How about a native-SYNC version? I thought I saw photos here which had the WAZE icon along the bottom of the screen...

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
The icon appears instead of the arrow for navigation

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1

Waze works through Android Auto. On iOS, you have to disable Carplay in order for it to work since its not a Carplay app. I also have a Note 8 as a work phone and it works fine for me. Test out both USB ports on your car to see if you can get it to work.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Anyone else's Waze supper laggy to the point that they can't even use it?
MInes not laggy, but mine keeps turning down the radio volume, it seems after every third direction it lowers the volume to 6 or 8 (dont remember which now) and it leaves it that way where I have to manually raise it again, I just dont know if its waze or a sync 3 issue. Utterly annoying.

Sponsored

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
^Right, from a phone. How about a native-SYNC version? I thought I saw photos here which had the WAZE icon along the bottom of the screen...
Yes, but it's not a native Carplay app for us iOS users. Apple blocks third party navigation apps so other apps such as Waze and Sygic are using Applink. With Applink, the app has to be currently running on your iPhone in order for it to work.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Thanks all for the explanation. I'm on a Note 8 and have just been on a BT connection so far and keeping Android Audio disabled.

Does waze provide the integrated instrument cluster functionality? The OEM native works great with the digital IC, not as good as the Audi system but it's still nice.

Outside of Navigation Sync 3 hasn't impressed me very much so far.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
does anyone have a definite step by step for android waze to work? sounds like so far its all been by accident that it started working

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
does anyone have a definite step by step for android waze to work? sounds like so far its all been by accident that it started working
Nothing special, once 18025 was on the unit, all i did was download waze from android play, and it worked right out of the box, the only thing I had to do was tap the left bottom icon to switch to waze, but that was it.

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I am so confused about all of this. Back in Feb., Ford introduced Waze to SYNC and demonstrated the fact by showing the Waze icon on the bottom of the SYNC home screen. This tells me that it is NATIVE to SYNC3 and does not need a mobile phone tethered w/Waze running.

Build 17xxx and build 18xxx, for me, does nothing to support Waze natively. Either build always allowed Waze to run over AA to a mobile phone. No issues there but why is it I cannot simply launch Waze from the head unit? No icon like some are reporting here...
Sponsored