Procharger guys on stock tranny and clutch

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 2015 Mustang GT PP
There are sooo many mixed reviews on the rxt. I recently procharged my car with a stage 2 system and it dyno'd at 630whp with the stock clutch slipping. I am researching a good replacement clutch; i don't plan on drag racing and my car is wearing MPSS tires. However, if i do decide to rip it from a dig or occasionally visit a track, i want the drivetrain to be in good shape. I do plan on doing suspension and drivetrain mods but honestly I don't know which brand to go with. As of now, based on my reading, I am looking at Ram clutches and the Mantic, although it is way over my budget. I saw someone recommend the Exedy ET04XD. Back in the day when I had my supra, I used Exedy clutches and loved them, but they're not too popular in the mustang world i guess. I hate to question someone who has good experiences with the Mcleod Rxt and it is considerably cheaper, but I also want to know why everytime I talk to someone, theyre saying that the Rxt is really damaging to the Mt-82. I think I even saw a youtube video of Ben Calimer saying even after his mt-82 upgrade package, he does not recommend the Rxt. I really appreciate your input.
As long as you're not doing any hard launches at the track you should be good on the stock clutch and trans at that level. Once you get a little more power and are looking to do some track time, then it will be time for an RXT set up. We were pushing 850whp on our GT here at Lethal Performance with just an RXT and flywheel and we had no issues what so ever. Let me know if I can assist at all.

www.lethalperformance.com

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
There are sooo many mixed reviews on the rxt. I recently procharged my car with a stage 2 system and it dyno'd at 630whp with the stock clutch slipping. I am researching a good replacement clutch; i don't plan on drag racing and my car is wearing MPSS tires. However, if i do decide to rip it from a dig or occasionally visit a track, i want the drivetrain to be in good shape. I do plan on doing suspension and drivetrain mods but honestly I don't know which brand to go with. As of now, based on my reading, I am looking at Ram clutches and the Mantic, although it is way over my budget. I saw someone recommend the Exedy ET04XD. Back in the day when I had my supra, I used Exedy clutches and loved them, but they're not too popular in the mustang world i guess. I hate to question someone who has good experiences with the Mcleod Rxt and it is considerably cheaper, but I also want to know why everytime I talk to someone, theyre saying that the Rxt is really damaging to the Mt-82. I think I even saw a youtube video of Ben Calimer saying even after his mt-82 upgrade package, he does not recommend the Rxt. I really appreciate your input.
Over 100 half mile passes on a Stage 2 MT-82 with RXT. Still kicking just fine. Also have a CF driveshaft, which might be helping.

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
that's good to hear; the Rxt is super affordable as well and the shop that installed my procharger also recommended it; but for some reason my mind is clouded with what I've seen on the internet (and funny enough I make fun of people who believe whatever they see on the internet) Also, I think Alejandro Flores' video about choosing the RST over the RXT for the mt-82 really stuck to my head. So you mentioned you have a stage 2 mt-82, are you referring to a Ben Callimer upgrade or another reputable shop. Funny enough, I have also heard from reputable shops that those Ben Callimer transmissions don't last very long. I guess, with anything, there is alot of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) spread on the internet. One more thing if you could share about your Rxt; i want my engagements to be smooth like when im driving in the car with my wife. How smooth is the engagement with the Rxt? Granted, the stock clutch isnt smooth right now but I been leaning toward saving for a mantic just because it appears to give the best of both worlds; grip and smoothness. If i'm able to achieve this happy mediu, and keep it under $1,200; i'll be real happy.The mantic's are closer to $2,000 and about half of a Magnum XL swap kit; which is bananas. I'm also tempted to ride it out and see what transmission the 2020 gt500 comes out with since the magnum xl is super heavy.
Over 100 half mile passes on a Stage 2 MT-82 with RXT. Still kicking just fine. Also have a CF driveshaft, which might be helping.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Good questions...I actually don't know who does the upgrade. I bought it through the race shop that's done work on my car and they send it out. Not sure if it goes to Calimer or not...

The clutch feels stock but will shudder at low RPM on takeoff so you need to give it a few hundred more revs and slip the clutch in first. It will also chatter at low RPM so you'll want to keep it over 1500 revs when cruising for silent operation.

Just did 17 burnouts and runs this weekend. Clutch continues to be great. Line lock, 5k rpm, drop the clutch... Lotta fun.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Its not launching it that seems to do the damage it is the shifts between gears...in particular 3rd gear and fourth gear. The gears in the MT82 are powdered metal construction and will shatter under the right conditions...that's the key in my eyes, right conditions. Since the RXT has no give something has to - tires, driveshaft, etc. I have seen good results with the CF shaft. In my case I had an aluminum one piece shaft, DRs, DSS half shafts....no give anywhere ... I took out two MT82s. One at 630/510 and another at 700/575...both 3rd gears.

Sponsored

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Just curious... what kind of blower setup do you have? I don't beat on my car but I have a performance pack with 3.73 gears with a St. 2 procharger with longtubes custom tuned and has 630whp with the stock clutch; it slipped on the dyno run as well. I can smell my clutch sometikes on the street if I floor it and flooring it in 1st through 3rd and I'm lighting up mpss tires with good tread life ? I would've thought a positive displacement would've been even more aggressive. After much research I ended up just ordering the exedy hyper twin et04xd setup.
Agreed, you should put the money away for a clutch for sure. There's still plenty of fun in second gear around 55mph though. She hooks great in the summer heat

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
You and I should meet up sometime and do a couple pulls. We’re close. Might convince you to go auto.
Lol...funny you say that...the guys who tuned the car hinted at the 6r80 as they did a conversion on their personal car.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Lol...funny you say that...the guys who tuned the car hinted at the 6r80 as they did a conversion on their personal car.
MAK. They installed my kit. Great shop.

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Just curious... what kind of blower setup do you have? I don't beat on my car but I have a performance pack with 3.73 gears with a St. 2 procharger with longtubes custom tuned and has 630whp with the stock clutch; it slipped on the dyno run as well. I can smell my clutch sometikes on the street if I floor it and flooring it in 1st through 3rd and I'm lighting up mpss tires with good tread life ? I would've thought a positive displacement would've been even more aggressive. After much research I ended up just ordering the exedy hyper twin et04xd setup.
Running a 3.2 Kenne Bell with a 4" pulley and stock dampener.
I know you have your eyes on the mantic as the holy grail and I'll give you a little input on it for now.
It's a great clutch, you'll have shudder on break in. It goes away.
Also, low RPM engagement is awful. Putting it in gear when sitting still can be troublesome at times, but NO issue when driving and the clutch is smooth as hell.
The other issue im having with the mantic, no matter how many crank relearns I do, im getting the random misfire codes.
Nothing changed other than clutch/flywheel, it just doesnt want to take.

As far as the whole RXT debate, I was super close to buying one myself. Until I was riding in a buddy's car that makes 450whp and he was on normal street tires(MPSS). He was doing some spirited driving and shattered 3rd on an upshift...
Everyone says the clutch is fine, the clutch is great but after witnessing one first hand I was all set.
Here's the video
[ame]

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I would make sure your tuner does not have the crank relearn turned off in your tune,my had it off in my tune and even though the sct said the relearn was complete it was not.If it is not disabled i would pull some plugs out and see why u are getting misfires,that is not a good thing.

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I would make sure your tuner does not have the crank relearn turned off in your tune,my had it off in my tune and even though the sct said the relearn was complete it was not.If it is not disabled i would pull some plugs out and see why u are getting misfires,that is not a good thing.
Yeah, well aware it's not a good thing the random misfires won't go away.
Already checked my plugs, the were swapped about a month before the clutch.
They're still gapped at .028 and look normal. No cracks, etc.
So disabling the crank relearn wouldn't remove it from my sct menu or stop the programmer from running through the motions?

I have told PBD about the issue and they justify it by softening the misfire cel. The car runs like trash and has idling/hot restart issues when I run that tune. So I'm back on the tune with the CELs because it runs smooth as ever

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Yes i went through a big thing with lund with this.Im pretty.sure is code p0215 that turns off the ability for the pcm to do a crank relearn.My sct kept saying it was complete but it was not.If i were u.i would try to use ids or forscan to do.a crank relearn,if u use one of those and crank.relearn does not work i would bet it is turned off.Or if u have another tune for your car,try that tune and do.a crankrelearn and see how it runs.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Might as well post up where I’m at. Been Stage 2 kit Procharger for 10k miles on stock clutch/tranny/axle shafts. No drag strip for me just on the street. Half hate to admit it but i am all grown up and still drive like a jack wagon about half the time. I daily drive it and I can’t remember a day that I didn’t spin the tires in 1st and 2nd gear on my daily drive, so it does get a little bit of a workout most days, just never any hard/high rev launches.
Sponsored