Sponsored

Voodoo Theory

stable68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport
I can only speculate here, but if they are using a fpc, they probably want it quiet until they decide time is right to reveal, as its quite a step in a different direction. Even if its just a cpc 5.2, its still a world different from the previous condor family of engines being the top dog.

Plus, months ago I heard the fpc test mules were detonating past 9000 rpm, and were being redesigned with different crankshaft bearings. *again, rumor.

I do know there was at least one fpc 5.2 in existance. But that was some time ago and its been destroyed.

Ive been quiet on the forum because this is about all I contribute, and things have been slow at the rumor mill. :|
Would you happen to know if a cpc 5.2 would be coyote based?
Sponsored

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
That GT350 in the video definitely does NOT have a FPC. It sounds like any other Coyote, just with a slightly louder exhaust.

I'm still sticking to my original prediction - it will be a slightly overbored Coyote with a high-rise intake manifold (Boss/CJ hybrid perhaps), forged pistons, an open element CAI, a more aggressive tune, and a more free flowing exhaust.

Best case, they might go DI and bump the compression by a half point or so.

But it's not going to be FPC, supercharged, or turbocharged.

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
Even if it isn't FPC, they could still make it rev over 7500rpm.

Sponsored

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
I would assume the niche line is nessesary because that would have the equipment for the plasma arc technology that they used on the 5.8 to increase bore without sacrificing strength

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
Niche line does not do the lining on the 5.8, nor will it do the lining on the 5.2. This is done at a different location before the block is shipped to Romeo.

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
I would leave out final, as a vast majority of the work is done there. Just not the lining.

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
If I recall correctly the liner was done in Germany for the GT500. Does that sound right?

The process in question is called plasma-transferred wire arc (PTWA). It basically involves blowing a fine mist of molten steel at high speed onto a rough surface and then honing that surface into a perfect cylinder bore. It's something that Matthew Zaluzec, Ford's manager of materials and nanotechnology, has been working on since 1991. As the concept was being refined, Ford brought in partners Flamespray and Honsel to finish the development work. The two firms were also responsible for manufacturing and marketing the twenty-five patents that resulted from the research.

The amazing part about this process is its relative simplicity: Spray-on surface processes have been used in aerospace applications for two decades, but until recently, the costs that work in that environment haven't been compatible with mass-market products. It starts with the engine block — aluminum in this case — where the surface to be coated is roughed up in order to give the liner material something to adhere to. Next, specially designed equipment uses an argon-hydrogen plasma arc to atomize an advancing 1010 steel alloy 1/16th-inch wire (basically welding wire). The atomized wire is then sprayed against the cylinder wall at 358 mph. The head lays down layer after layer of this material. Because the particles are so small, they splatter and transfer heat rapidly. They leave behind layers of iron and a ferrous oxide called Weustite (no, it's not rust); these layers build up to a thickness of roughly 0.6 mm, and the block is then honed to a cross-hatch pattern and given a final liner thickness of roughly 150 microns.

Sponsored

Tressel

I would agree with this guess for the "Voodoo" :

5.2 580hp NA
12.5 -1 compression
5.0L block punch out to 5.2 with the spray bore.
Direct injected, bigger cams and ported heads.
BIG brakes (close to 16 inch)

Close or way out in left field?

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I would agree with this guess for the "Voodoo" :

5.2 580hp NA
12.5 -1 compression
5.0L block punch out to 5.2 with the spray bore.
Direct injected, bigger cams and ported heads.
BIG brakes (close to 16 inch)

Close or way out in left field?
I think you are way over on the power and compression. No idea about displacement or DI (sounds like DI is still a couple years away, but maybe that's only for the standard Coyote motor).

In any event, I'd be surprised to see anything over 500 HP. I'd expect compression to be 12.0 at most (and that's with DI).

But, I hope you are correct :headbang:

-T

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
JPC has a 351 coyote stroker so going bigger is doable and Ford could do this in an economic way. Dart supplies the steel sleeves and JPC installs them in house. $14,000 for the built short block. Their 7 second turbo street car is putting down just under 1300rwhp. They claim 28.5mpg. http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/1404_inside_jpc_racings_7_second_turbocharged_coyote/

That 7-second car is still 302ci, not their 351ci stroker. Also are you sure JPC sleeves the blocks in house or do they send them out to Rich Groh?
Sponsored