Horrible factory paint quality?

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
It's not a huge deal on my car, because it's a track toy and will get wrapped. Wouldn't be worth bitching about it to the dealership body shop. However all my plastic body panels are yellowing. Keep in mind this is a 2016 car with 5,900 miles that spends most of it's life in an air conditioned garage. Imagine what it would be like if it baked in the sun and had 20K on it:

https://imgur.com/a/3lIzz

You can see in the first picture that the front fascia is clearly yellow compared to the white hood.

The second pic you can see the yellow rear bumper and the yellowing side skirts. Every plastic part is yellowing while the metal parts aren't. This is some real bad paint quality for 2016, I think it's the additives they have to use for painting plastic. I don't get how Ford doesn't have this figured out yet.
Sponsored

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Looks more like the mismatch on paint color from the material differences. No car will have a perfect match regardless of color on different panel material types. At least not on a factory Paint job.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It looks great. I don't know if I'd complain about that. White is so classy on the 550.

OP
OP
oesman

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Looks more like the mismatch on paint color from the material differences. No car will have a perfect match regardless of color on different panel material types. At least not on a factory Paint job.
It wasn't like that new :-/. I'm very particular about how I wash and take care of paint so I notice things like this. No other car I've owned in recent years has this problem. Hell my '99 Camaro didn't have this issue and it had a mix of substrates.

Factory paint doesn't just go on the raw body (substrate). If it did you're right you would have significant color variation. However, there can be as many as 6+ steps of treatments going on for a single piece of raw bodywork depending on the manufacturer's process. Some are obviously more advanced than others. Even on the most basic processes there's still going to be a primer before the base coat, so the paint should match across panels simply from that.

ecoat.png

The above is for a steel process for instance. Some part of their process for the flexible panels is failing here as it's getting worse over time. It's gone from "hmm something is happening here" to "the bumpers are now cream colored" in the last 6 months.

It looks great. I don't know if I'd complain about that. White is so classy on the 550.
It's too bad the bumpers are cream color and not white now :(. But yea I love the white on the S550, wish it stayed that color.

boostaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium 6MT
No such issues on my oxford white 2016. It was outside on the dealer lot for almost a year before I bought it new in March 2017. I had xpel installed on the front end of the car less than a month after I bought it. Neither the front or rear covers are yellowing yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
oesman

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
No such issues on my oxford white 2016. It was outside on the dealer lot for almost a year before I bought it new in March 2017. I had xpel installed on the front end of the car less than a month after I bought it. Neither the front or rear covers are yellowing yet.
Yea maybe mine is just defective :-/, but I just threw the following string into google:

"mustang" "yellowing" "plastic" "bumper"

With quotes around each word just like that. This isn't a new issue for Ford it looks like. Some poor guy even had his truck go full on cream.
Mine's not that bad yet, but it's heading in that direction faster than not:

80-img_9447_7a94b7c1f8a9711f1fece874021d45cf78cd8f66.jpg

boostaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium 6MT
Wow!

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I noticed a bit on mine as well, Oxford white. Only on the rear bumper though and it hasn’t increased in yellow at all since purchase as I assumed it’s just color mismatch(probably is). I’ll probably give it a heavier polish in couple months to test if it’s clear coat. I notice metal and plastic mismatch colors for a lot of others branded cars too though and I’m not sure why but I don’t think it’s related to the issue as the f150 since the color remains constant without change.

Quick google leads to the assumption of a poor material that keeps the paint flexible for the plastic bumper. As for the f150, maybe it’s just base coat failure somehow. Also, for my car, the mismatch is less apparent in natural sunlight is this the case for you too?

OP
OP
oesman

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Also, for my car, the mismatch is less apparent in natural sunlight is this the case for you too?
Mine definitely went from matching to eventually turning cream-ish. Not sure how much worse it will get. It is less apparent in high noon day light, but you can still see it.