Sponsored

Pizza Delivery driver hit my car, what are my options?

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thought we were talking about motor vehicle accidents here? What does getting hit as a pedestrian have to do with the OP's question regarding a vehicle on vehicle accident?
I'm sorry, I thought you would be able to connect related concepts. Let me explain it in more detail. If your logic is that you can't open a claim with someone else's insurer, how would a pedestrian who may have no insurance file a claim if hit by a car?

But you do you broski, call up their insurance and see what they say.
This is what I've done every single time someone's hit my car, because it's what you're supposed to do.

And I'll continue to use my own insurance company for claims, which has worked several times in the past even though I'm "100% wrong". Maybe it's just my smooth talking that got the ball rolling.
Obviously your insurer can reach out to them too, but the point is you have no deductible to pay and there is no reason for them to be involved.

You must not know how insurance companies work, especially when you are not their client. And what happens if there is no police report or a faulty driver? In most states if the damage is low enough they don't even file a police report. What then?
What happens if there is no police report and you contact your insurance to claim against the other guy? Same thing, it's always your word against his plus whatever visible damage and police report and witnesses. This changes nothing. I'm not sure how you're having this much trouble tracking.

Edit: Here maybe this can help you out: https://claims.geico.com/ReportClaim.aspx see how it says "Someone Else's GEICO Policy" in that radio button? Cool huh broski?
Sponsored

OP
OP

lukejay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang V6 Manual
Yea you wouldn't claim it on your insurance, but why not claim it on his? Did he not have insurance or something? Do you believe your mother was at fault here and can't claim it on his? I still don't get this part of the story.
As a neutral observer, if someone pulls out in front of someone that is driving on the right of way and causes an accident the person pulling out is always at fault. Unless there is a fatality where they do the forensics and examine the car computers there is no way speed of either is determined. In an accident where there is little or no damage to the person on the right of way who is cool with not making an issue I could see the police recommending that the the person at fault not make an insurance claim based on minimal property damage. I wasn't there and neither was the OP so I'm only speculating.
D24112, you make a very good point. I wasn't there, I don't know the full details of how it all went down, while ethically and logically it may not be her fault, there isn't much of a way to prove it. She was coming out of a community and she didn't have the right of way, we have no proof that he was speeding or texting or distracted in some way, other than our word, which doesn't help, and that guy will lie about it. That's why we were hesitant to call and that's probably why the police told us it wasn't worth it. This seems like a perfect example of why everyone should have a dashcam IMO.

MustangNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt and 2017 Shelby GT350
You can abosuletly file a claim with the other party's insurance. If it is 100% the fault of the other party you DO NOT want to even contact your own insurance. Reason for this is even though your insurance will not be paying anything and your rates will not go up they will make a note that an accident occured and in the future if you are in an accident in which it is your fault, your rates might even go up higher if they see that previous accident as you are considered "accident prone" regardless if the previous one was your fault or not. Insurance companies work on statistics. If you are involved in more accidents you are more of a liability hence higher rates.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
The cops did your mom and you a favor because they determined it was her fault. They may have said it in a very nice manner or not at all, but there's no mistaking the situation. If you make a claim your insurance will potentially rise as this will come to light, otherwise the insurance would pick up on if a citation was issue which it sounds like they were doing her another favor by not doing so. She wasn't cited, but she is clearly legally and civilly liable here. If the damage isn't significantly beyond the deductible then you may be making a mistake by contacting insurance.

BUT they probably won't raise your rates anyways. Beyond who's logically "responsible," these are some points to consider.

One thing I can guarantee you is that as soon as you say "pulled out in front of" to any insurance adjuster then the fate of the claim is sealed.
Sponsored