Sponsored

Rev Match!!

AnelBHF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Not sure if this has been discussed already, but Ford revealed the euro bullitt mustang and it has a rev match feature.

I have not seen that on any other mustangs. It's a pretty cool feature that porsche has in their manual cars and GM in their performance manual cars.

I wonder if this is only for the bullitt or just Euro cars?? Not sure why Ford wouldn't put it in all the 18 MY mustangs.
Sponsored

BayLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT350, 11' E92 335i M-Sport
The Bullitt is going to be a 19MY so hopefully the 19MY Mustangs might also get that feature.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
from what i have been reading (everywhere) the 2018 GT already has rev match.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
I feel like auto rev-matching on a manual is boring... (370z cough)

Sponsored

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Rev matching is difficult sometimes with the rev hanging.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I see some members complain that the car "lurches" with Rev matching but my auto doesn't ? Or at least I don't notice it. These cars are getting too smart. I just bought a Samsung smart TV, took me a day to figure out how to get the local channels on the smart ass TV. Lol!

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Are we talking about two different things here? (PEOPLE STOP GETTING MY HOPES UP FOR REV MATCHING MANUALS :D )

We know that the A10 will "rev match down shift". If the MY19 Mustang 6spd truly auto rev matches, then that's a game changer.

Numerous other threads on this topic have told us that purists hate the idea of this technology. I get it, but it's something that can (should) be easily turned off via the dash menu.

Up until now, I've been leaning about 90% toward getting the A10 in a future purchase. Auto rev matching would make the 6spd a lot more enticing for me.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Are we talking about two different things here? (PEOPLE STOP GETTING MY HOPES UP FOR REV MATCHING MANUALS :D )

We know that the A10 will "rev match down shift". If the MY19 Mustang 6spd truly auto rev matches, then that's a game changer.

Numerous other threads on this topic have told us that purists hate the idea of this technology. I get it, but it's something that can (should) be easily turned off via the dash menu.

Up until now, I've been leaning about 90% toward getting the A10 in a future purchase. Auto rev matching would make the 6spd a lot more enticing for me.
As the Bullitt is manual only, then it would be rev-matching on the 6spd.

Sponsored

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
The auto can auto-rev-match because the PCM knows what gear it's going to...

The PCM in the stick will be wrong about half of the time.
I think the manual rev match would actually be right 100% of the time, because it isn't anticipating anything. All manual rev matching does is match the engine speed to the transmission speed depending on the gear that you select.

For instance:

You're driving 40mph in 5th gear. Your RPM is at...1700ish? (Forgive me, I am not great with gear ratios/rpms).

Now you want to pick up the pace. You push the clutch in and drop down to 4th.

With rev matching, the RPMs will increase the moment that you slide the shifter into 4th (with the clutch still depressed). The RPMs will hold and match based on 4th gear at the given speed (the RPMS will slowly fall as you coast and slow down). Lifting the clutch will result in a smooth transition into gear.

Now you could also hold the clutch while in 5th and go to 4th (RPM jump), still with the clutch engaged go to 3rd (another RPM jump), and then to 2nd (probably close to rev limiter at that point). The rev match will let you row through the gears while at speed, and the engine will attempt to match the speed at every gear to allow for a "smooth" transition into gear.

In other words, it isn't guessing. It knows what RPM to hold for that gear.

...I think I just repeated myself a bunch of times in this post.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
How well does the Camaro manual rev match work in street situations? Specifically when going from a high gear such as 5th to 2nd when 2nd will be at high revs, such as 5K, after the shift how quickly does the engine get from very low revs up to 5K? A big engine with heavy flywheel and pressure plate has a lot of inertia.

Also, I assume that the rev matching is not a substitute for reducing syncro wear via double clutching since the system won't know the target gear until the gear is selected. By then the syncros have already done their job.

FYI Bravo I think you mean clutch "disengaged" from the engine as you row the shift lever between gears.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I think the car knows almost everything it needs to know. It knows gear ratios, it knows your speed, it knows what gear you are in (but not necessarily what gear you are "almost" in), it knows if the clutch is depressed and it knows if the brakes are applied.

I think there is only bit of information that the ECU probably doesn't have, which is the exact position of the shift lever.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
I enjoy doing it manually. wouldn’t have it any other way, what’s next auto heel and toe..... I know I’m old school.....:D
Sponsored