Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I think this thread may outlive us all..

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
I'm the case with 3 confirmed evaporator core failures in 10,000 miles of use.

I went in suspecting the 3rd evap failure, and the dealer determined that the compressor is not pressurizing the lubricant as it should. This is just another way of saying that the compressor failed because of a refrigerant leak.

Dealer said it will replace both the compressor and the evaporator.

I am petrified about owning this car after the warranty expires next year.

Does anyone know if the vendor of the S550 evap assembly is the same for other Ford models? I have to assume this is a widespread defect in many S550 models and is not product specific to the GT350. Ford will not issue a recall because it's not a safety issue, so it's passing under the radar to the general buying public.

I'm saying that Ford and dealers are keeping this defect under the wraps to avoid affecting sales, except for us (owners) complaining about it in forums etc.

It would be helpful if there are any reported cases in this forum of cases where a) Ford bought the car back because of this defect or b) Ford extended the warranty for a/c repairs.

Help is welcomed!

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
It would be helpful if there are any reported cases in this forum of cases where a) Ford bought the car back because of this defect or b) Ford extended the warranty for a/c repairs.
Unfortunately I think Ford is telling everyone to fly a kite with this one, no extended warranty coverage and no buybacks because of evaporator core issues. How this hasn't made it to the news somewhere is beyond me, especially with the number of people that have had multiple replacements.

My car is on it's 3rd, and I'm now past the 3/36 warranty :frusty:

1st time Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt.Auto.Premium.3.55
Class Action Law Suit

Any Lawyers on Forum Know how to Start
a Class Action Suit For A/C Problem??

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I'm taking my 2016 GT350 with 10,000 miles to the dealer for a FOURTH a/c failure.

The original evap core leaked in 6 months from new (that's ONE) and the evap has been replaced twice (that's TWO and THREE) in the last year and now it's blowing hot air AGAIN (which if history proves right it would be the FOURTH defective evap assembly).The last evap assembly part was W and that remains the last part for this car.

I'm fed up with Ford.
I think this puts you in the lead for most evap cores. I'm part of the three core club, and it's still cool enough that I'm not running the AC much, but in the next couple months I will. I bought the extended warranty when I bought the car (thank heaven for that), so I'm basically expecting an annual dashboard removal and core replacement for the full 8 years of the warranty. :headbonk::ford:

Sorry to hear. I know firsthand how frustrated this is.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Can this be a lemon law issue? It's crazy how people are having three and four failures of their AC system on cars under a warranty.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Any Lawyers on Forum Know how to Start
a Class Action Suit For A/C Problem??
A class action lawsuit was brought against Ford over evaporator core defects back in 2010. Ford won their motion for summary judgement and I highly doubt the outcome will be different if someone tries again.

Kerry O'Shea v. Ford Motor Company
2:10-cv-07640 | California Central District Court

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
I don't think the AC ever worked on my brand new 2018 Mustang. I remember the one day I had to use it and was quite taken back by how weak it was. And it was only in the mid 60s that day.

This car has so far been super disappointing. Multiple problems within first 2 weeks of ownership.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I don't think the AC ever worked on my brand new 2018 Mustang. I remember the one day I had to use it and was quite taken back by how weak it was. And it was only in the mid 60s that day.

This car has so far been super disappointing. Multiple problems within first 2 weeks of ownership.
You are using the A/C in frigid Colorado this time of year? Did you take it to your Dealer and if so, what was the outcome?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I went in suspecting the 3rd evap failure, and the dealer determined that the compressor is not pressurizing the lubricant as it should. This is just another way of saying that the compressor failed because of a refrigerant leak.

Does anyone know if the vendor of the S550 evap assembly is the same for other Ford models? I have to assume this is a widespread defect in many S550 models and is not product specific to the GT350. Ford will not issue a recall because it's not a safety issue, so it's passing under the radar to the general buying public.

I'm saying that Ford and dealers are keeping this defect under the wraps to avoid affecting sales, except for us (owners) complaining about it in forums etc.

Help is welcomed!
Unfortunately I think Ford is telling everyone to fly a kite with this one, no extended warranty coverage and no buybacks because of evaporator core issues. How this hasn't made it to the news somewhere is beyond me, especially with the number of people that have had multiple replacements.

My car is on it's 3rd, and I'm now past the 3/36 warranty :frusty:
I think this puts you in the lead for most evap cores. I'm part of the three core club, and it's still cool enough that I'm not running the AC much, but in the next couple months I will. I bought the extended warranty when I bought the car (thank heaven for that), so I'm basically expecting an annual dashboard removal and core replacement for the full 8 years of the warranty. :headbonk::ford:

Sorry to hear. I know firsthand how frustrated this is.
Can this be a lemon law issue? It's crazy how people are having three and four failures of their AC system on cars under a warranty.
A Ford Buy Back (vehicle reacquirement) or Lemon'd Ford won't occur unless:

1) The Owner/Buyer contacts the Ford Customer Service Rep for their Region - the 1-800 # is in your owners manual. You MUST get the CSR involved, you MUST get or have a Ford Case Number established. Just posting your gripes here won't get anyone anywhere (trust me). Once the CSR is involved, you will get a Case # - that Case # stays with the vehicle as long as the Case is being worked on and is (or is not) satisfied to the Owner's satisfaction. Having a Case # also puts your vehicle at priority status at the Dealer, because they have to respond to the CSR and any Ford FSE that has to come to check over the vehicle while it's in their posession.

2) The Owner/Buyer must have documented facts of the same part being replaced multiple times - and/OR the result has been another failure of same part OR the part is not functioning as expected. If the vehicle has been in for other Warranty related claims, those can be also be backup for reasons wanting a Buy Back. The facts can be logged calls to the Ford CSR (not really substantial, but they have record of each time anyone calls), emails or Ford Dealership Service Work Orders (substantial).

3) If the car cannot be fixed (or there is repeated part failure), the Owner/Buyer states in a professional manner that he/she wishes for Ford to Buy Back the vehicle.

4) If the Ford CSR has all of the facts - MORE SO if the vehicle has been in for repair 3x for the same part failure - AND BASED ON YOUR STATE LAWS, you could qualify for a Ford Buy Back.

Again, you all MUST research your State Laws pertaining to Lemon Laws and/or Vehicle Buy Backs. In some instances, certain States have mileage limitation thresholds and monetary penalties based on usage. So IF your vehicle is still UNDER the Factory 3/36 - and you're totally frustrated and want Ford to do something about it - you MUST take action sooner than later.

Ford will not do a Buy Back (or Lemon Law won't apply) for a first time repair event. In many instances, the vehicle must have had repairs where the same part was replaced multiple times OR the vehicle was inoperative and at the Dealer for weeks/month(s) at a time.

I will add this for those thinking about and may qualify for a Buy Back...

If approved by Ford, you have the option of:
A) Having Ford replace the vehicle with another Ford product that is equal to the MSRP of your current Ford. The vehicle must be NEW and located on any Ford Dealer lot within the US (or if you are wanting an exact match to your existing vehicle and an exact match cannot be located, Ford has to approve a new current year build). If the replacement vehicle MSRP is more than your original MSRP - you have to come up with the difference. Regardless if you are at or over your MSRP allowance, with a Ford Buy Back, you are also responsible for any State/Local taxes, Doc Fees, Title Fees, DMV Fees and/or mileage use penalties. Any current Ford Incentives, A-X Plans, Dealer discounts, etc DO NOT APPLY. A Buy Back is MSRP to MSRP, period.

B) Having Ford take back your vehicle and you get reimbursed your X$ paid - minus any penalties/fees and you go find another Brand-X vehicle elsewhere.

It's a frustrating process, if you don't have the patience, you won't follow through because it's a very lengthy and time consuming process.

---

If an EVAP repair was one of your first major downfalls of owning the vehicle and it's put bad taste in your mouth - you do still have options.

Call the Ford 1-800, get a CSR, explain how disgusted you are about your "new car" ownership - and how the failure is affecting you - how long it took for the repair to be completed and the fact that you are paying for a new car - not one to be in the shop for a major part failure. If you can stay on a level playing field and act professional with your gripe/concern AND say how disgusted you are with Ford and you could have bought BrandX - the Ford CSR may offer the following options (you can only pick 1):

1) A maintenance plan up to 45k that will cover quite a few things, including free oil changes, etc.

2) An Extended Warranty plan up to 75k - it's better than running out at the 36k mark and it's still covering everything that would have been covered with the 3/36. This plan also includes loaner vehicle (a bonus to some).

3) Reimbursement of 1 car payment (or 2), depending on how long your vehicle was out of service.

The KEY to ALL of the above - call and get a Ford CSR involved and GET A CASE NUMBER. Document EVERYTHING, keep all records, if and when possible, email your CSR so any discussions are also documented.

If you have the initiative, you can benefit yourself by taking the above advice - this forum is great for voicing issues and finding remedies - but if you're only venting here and have been through the ringer 3x or more for the same repair - it's not getting back to Ford and you're really not getting anywhere (unfortunately).

Here's the Lemon Law thread for tons more info (in the event some of you have not seen it):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59015

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also to note:

This EVAP issue will NEVER be a recall.

A recall is only applicable to a major safety issue where a required repair is issued by the NHTSA that would affect the vehicle's safe operation and/or the safety of the vehicle occupants.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Also to note:

This EVAP issue will NEVER be a recall.

A recall is only applicable to a major safety issue where a required repair is issued by the NHTSA that would affect the vehicle's safe operation and/or the safety of the vehicle occupants.
This is correct. And I don't want to "Lemon Law" my car for two reasons - first I love this car (other than the AC), and second, the Lemon Law would just replace this car with another Mustang which would have the same issue.

What I want is for Ford to hold their evap core supplier accountable and leverage their power as a high volume customer to force that supplier to redesign the part to bring it up to quality standards Ford would love to be known for. And while I'm in wish-mode, I'd also like this to be done prior to the end of my extended warranty so I can end up with a car that I don't have to sell at some point.

I'd be interested to see if the press would care about this the way they did about the Focus RS manifold issues?

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
You are using the A/C in frigid Colorado this time of year? Did you take it to your Dealer and if so, what was the outcome?
Not sure if you know, but Colorado has been exceptionally warm this winter. Its been in the 60s more than a few times and has hit 70 degrees a couple of times.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 65C in Denver. And no haven't taken into the dealer. The AC blew cold this morning but it was also 30 degrees. I'm going to wait tomorrow when it gets in the mid 60s again and see if works.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301

Help is welcomed!
Had my compressor replaced this week after the evaporator was replaced last week
Speaking to an aircon engineer today he said he would suspect the refrigerant leaking is the basic cause .
Looking at getting a Ford NZ extended warranty now
here's hoping!
Sponsored