Sponsored

Who lives in Chicago?

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
May be relocating to the Chicago area and I would love recommndations on where a person may start in the search for affordable living quarters. It appears a place to sleep would be needed but not much else. Any ideas or directions you can help with will be appreciated!
Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I can only speak to what I know well, the south suburban area. I suggest Orland Park and surrounding areas if you're looking for a nice suburban area with lots of businesses restaurants, good access to interstates etc. Travel time to downtown Chicago would be less than an hour. Good luck.

wltrmtty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I'll throw out an option. You might consider Kenosha, Wisconsin and taking the Metra commuter train which takes you into Chicago (Ogilvie Transportation Center). The taxes are significantly lower in Wisconsin as well as housing cost.

Here are some links:
Metra (you would take the Union Pacific North line): https://metrarail.com/
Kenosha: http://www.visitkenosha.com/

OP
OP
Falconetti

Falconetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll throw out an option. You might consider Kenosha, Wisconsin and taking the Metra commuter train which takes you into Chicago (Ogilvie Transportation Center). The taxes are significantly lower in Wisconsin as well as housing cost.

Here are some links:
Metra (you would take the Union Pacific North line): https://metrarail.com/
Kenosha: http://www.visitkenosha.com/
This is great info! thank you

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Where will you be working? I assume that's the reason for relocating?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Falconetti

Falconetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where will you be working? I assume that's the reason for relocating?
Chicago area, do not have territorry information so even outside of chicago will probably be ok. So far the company seems interested with emphasis on if I really want to move. I dont mind moving and eventually coming back to Texas when a position opens up here. I really just want to get in the door, and as such will be looking to rent something for a couple-few years.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Chicago area, do not have territorry information so even outside of chicago will probably be ok. So far the company seems interested with emphasis on if I really want to move. I dont mind moving and eventually coming back to Texas when a position opens up here. I really just want to get in the door, and as such will be looking to rent something for a couple-few years.
If you're not downtown, the area I'm at is very, very nice. Naperville. All kinds of things to do, upscale area and you can easily take the train or drive to the city anywhere else. There are 35-40 min express trains into and out of the city, and driving is only about 45-50 mins, 35 at off peak times.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Yes. Direct West Burbs off 88 are nice!

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I live in the city proper (Logan Square). If you're managing a territory and driving around a lot, I wouldn't live downtown as that just adds 40 minutes each way to every trip. I work downtown and travel (by plane) a lot, and my wife works in the city, and we don't have kids, so we love it - walk to tons of restaurants and bars, 20-minute El ride to the office, most of our friends are close by. But if I got a job in the suburbs, I'd go crazy with the commutes.

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the city proper (Logan Square). If you're managing a territory and driving around a lot, I wouldn't live downtown as that just adds 40 minutes each way to every trip. I work downtown and travel (by plane) a lot, and my wife works in the city, and we don't have kids, so we love it - walk to tons of restaurants and bars, 20-minute El ride to the office, most of our friends are close by. But if I got a job in the suburbs, I'd go crazy with the commutes.
I miss living in the city for your exact reasons

Sponsored

Drknight15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Stang-less at the moment
Coming from Texas to IL? Just be forewarned that the State of IL is/has been a mess for years and is not getting better anytime soon. Your mileage will vary depending on county you live in but taxes are high/getting higher, jobs/companies are leaving and not investing heavily here and property values have not been growing for a long time (only recently coming around to positive growth in last year or so).

Curious to know what area of TX your in and why your considering leaving there aside from career opp? Good infra, large Corp investment and zero state taxes in DFW metroplex area looks pretty good to me.

OP
OP
Falconetti

Falconetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming from Texas to IL? Just be forewarned that the State of IL is/has been a mess for years and is not getting better anytime soon. Your mileage will vary depending on county you live in but taxes are high/getting higher, jobs/companies are leaving and not investing heavily here and property values have not been growing for a long time (only recently coming around to positive growth in last year or so).

Curious to know what area of TX your in and why your considering leaving there aside from career opp? Good infra, large Corp investment and zero state taxes in DFW metroplex area looks pretty good to me.
The company I want to work for has openings there. I hope to get in then transfer back when openings become available.
Sponsored