Sponsored

Crawled around in the back seat today

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
You make an interesting point. Obviously Ford put the smallest amount of effort possible into the backseat (rightfully so). I mean the materials back there are found ONLY there. No where else in the car is there cheap, hard vinyl. So if youre putting so little effort into it, why not just not do it?
Wouldn't be surprised if its an EPA thing...twice as much people could car pool...or something like that. 2+2 seating was a marketing thing back in the 60s.
Sponsored

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
My backseat is basically a storage area. I've been surprised at what I've been able to fit in there, especially with the seats folded down.

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
My backseat is basically a storage area. I've been surprised at what I've been able to fit in there, especially with the seats folded down.
You are right about that. I use my mustang for business a lot and to he honest it can hold almost as many boxes as my truck. It's much more fun making deliveries in a mustang too!

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
You are right about that. I use my mustang for business a lot and to he honest it can hold almost as many boxes as my truck. It's much more fun making deliveries in a mustang too!
In my 2007 I had a 4x8 foot piece of plywood back there. Of course, my top was down and it looked a bit funny...

Sponsored

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
The back seat area looks fine from a distance of 2 feet or so, which is about as close as a normal sized adult will get on a regular basis.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I cleaned my rear window once and almost died getting out.
Yep, almost got trapped back there once too. :lol:

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
I cleaned my rear window once and almost died getting out.
Can confirm - 6'1" - and a big boy....had to do a "The Ring" style contortionist act to get out.....eff that noise lol

Also - the plastics in this car aren't a whole hell of a lot better than the Audi plastics in my last A4 - they were just as creaky crappy thin. I think you will be hard pressed to find any manufacturer that isn't trying to reduce weight and cost to produce through material usage reduction and cutting down on production costs to make things like panels.

These guys want to deliver a product that is still budget profitable for them and affordable for the plebs.....

Last edited:

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The back seats (physically) are super comfy, softer than the front ones (non-Recaro), IMO. BUT... yea, it's awful back there. I'm barely 5'10 and my head hits the glass, could barely get out too. Thought I was completely stuck for a moment and said to myself "well... this is how I die". :lol:
It's amazing how cramped the S550 is considering that the 2013-2014 S197 refresh had probably the "roomiest" backseats of any model year Mustang. Even had adjustable headrests on the back seats! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't great, but leagues better than the current. Had two 6'+ people back there in my 2013 for a 90-minute drive to a concert and they were fine enough. No way they'd fit in my 2016. :p

Sponsored

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
You make an interesting point. Obviously Ford put the smallest amount of effort possible into the backseat (rightfully so). I mean the materials back there are found ONLY there. No where else in the car is there cheap, hard vinyl. So if youre putting so little effort into it, why not just not do it?
Insurance. That's the only reason for most rear seats in sport coupes.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Would rip those seats right out if I didn't occasionally have my kids in the car with me.

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Can just about get in the back easy enough only trouble is when I get out I seem to always loose my shoes without taking them off in the first place ?