Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
the "10,000 mile oil change" is very interesting to me. The Ti-VCT runs on oil pressure. I would think they would be encouraging people to keep their oil changed...

What allows them to be able to be able to go longer between changes?
Advancs in oil chemistry and engine technology are the reasons why newer engines can go longer between oil changes.

Under heat and pressure, synthetic lubricants don't break down as easily as dino oil, and they can last as much as three times longer.

Tighter tolerances in modern engines means less slop, less thrash and therefore lower wear on adjacent moving parts.

Win - Win.
Sponsored

Cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Tighter tolerances in modern engines means less slop, less thrash and therefore lower wear on adjacent moving parts.

Win - Win.
During the cold war, I flew a NAVY recon plane with twin Wright 3350 engines. EACH engine had a remote sump containing 80 gallons of engine oil. Commonly, we would return from 12 hour flights over the Pacific with only 20 gallons of oil remaining in each of the sumps. At low elevations to avoid radar detection, we probably were leaving a trailing oil slick on the ocean surface. Talk about loose engine tolerances. :crazy: