Sponsored

2018 GT failure, engine getting opened up..

OP
OP

entaiiie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' GT
Sorry to hear, you are not on a tune I guess?. When this sort of thing happens and having a tune .....
nah .. bone stock, not messed with it.

I guess they are starting the teardown soon to find the source .. probably won't even have a root cause until end of next week. based on that pace it's probably going to be a down a full month.

shit happens I guess. trying to not get too negative about it, though it's difficult.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Damn.... I guess us 18 owners will have to expect this type of crap to happen.

On another note I've had my car shut off on me too except mine was different. Was making a right turn and then all of a sudden the engine just died and I looked at the dash and it said "Run Power Activated" or something like that. I pressed the button and it started again like normal. Very weird. If happened twice but haven't had time to bring it to the dealership.

I guess it's just a matter of time before mine does exactly what yours did.

That's been an issue since the '15's(possibly earlier as well but the message is unique to the '15+ dash). The message is simply telling you the ignition is still on but the engine is not running anymore. I don't recall the specific cause of the issue though to me it sounds like crank sensor.

Bcart50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
silverado
You aren't alone... I know of an 18 that dropped a valve with less than a thousand miles on it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

I guess they are starting the teardown soon to find the source .. probably won't even have a root cause until end of next week. based on that pace it's probably going to be a down a full month.

shit happens I guess. trying to not get too negative about it, though it's difficult.
If they've sat on the car and not been working on it, then you have a good reason to be pissed.

OP
OP

entaiiie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' GT
If they've sat on the car and not been working on it, then you have a good reason to be pissed.
I think they're just taking their time and working with Ford directly since the 18s are so new. I want it to be a priority, but I do want it taken care of properly as well. Just keeping good faith that they're doing what they can.

Sponsored

Shadowblack5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
When I jad my '16, after about 9k miles my engine started ticking really bad, ended up with a new long block, but the waiting was brutal. All in it took about 6 weeks due to the service department having to go step by step with ford throughout the process. Basically they would get a direction, do that, and report to ford, wait a day or so and get a response with further instructions. Once they determined the problem it took about a week for them to receive the long block and 2 days (iirc) later I picked it up. This whole thing was made worse by the shitty c-max loaner they gave me. I was pretty upset by the whole thing.

65ACode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 mustang
Sorry for your issues. I am not too familiar with the monitoring on these engines, but it seems like with a dropped valve the engine would still run. I dropped a valve on my 289 years ago and drove it 25 miles home. Piston, bore, and head were trashed - but it forced me to get a 331 stroker :cheers:

That color is awesome and has made up my mind on what color I want. I had a cabernet red 1989 5.0 that looked close to that - very few on the road.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Sorry to hear this ....

Man that really sucks. But at least its under warranty. One of the reasons why I purchased a 2017 versus a 2018 - These issues do pop up on a first year production engine / transmission. Its expected. Don't worry Ford will take care of you one way or another.

OP
OP

entaiiie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' GT
When I jad my '16, after about 9k miles my engine started ticking really bad, ended up with a new long block, but the waiting was brutal. All in it took about 6 weeks due to the service department having to go step by step with ford throughout the process. Basically they would get a direction, do that, and report to ford, wait a day or so and get a response with further instructions. Once they determined the problem it took about a week for them to receive the long block and 2 days (iirc) later I picked it up. This whole thing was made worse by the shitty c-max loaner they gave me. I was pretty upset by the whole thing.
ugh, yeah. I have a F150 XL as my loaner. base base base. crank windows. the seat blocks the crank, even. lol. a way to get from point A to point B, at least. I wish I had a Shelby loaner or something :(

I am all to familiar with how slow it is to work with a third party like that, working with IT vendors at work .. . I wish they would more actively collaborate instead of emailing back and forth and waiting for analysis and instruction.. or had a little more power to make it happen at the dealership level. it really slows the process down, but it will lead to resolution at least.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
That sucks. Hopefully you get it back soon.

Sponsored

aclosedmind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
With past new models Ford has prevented the local dealerships from opening up the motors. They have at times requested the engine be removed, crated, and sent back to Ford for engineering forensics. Either way lets hope they just give you a new motor off the line if for no other reason than for timeliness sake.

Seems like there always is an issue with the first few months of any new design/component

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I don’t know if you have or have not already BUT, even though it’s at the Dealer and there is movement with them contacting Ford Engineering to work the issue - DEFINITLEY call the 800 Ford Customer line, get yourself a Case number started.

Professionally, but politely state your displeasure being the car is brand new... you’ll get compensated... trust me. Don’t back down and don’t pass up what I’m telling you by only relying on the Service Dept. taking care of things. When you initiate a Case # with the Local Regional Ford CSR, your vehicle gets the highest level of priority and when you politely voice your displeasure about Ford’s product and being a new owner, you could end up with the following choices of compensation:

1) Vehicle Maintenance Plan up to 45K miles
2) Extended Warranty Plan up to 75k miles
3) Depending on how long vehicle is in shop, possibility of 1-2 car pmt reimbursement

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
There is a bunch of 15-17 owners. Going. See told ya biotch!:D

OP
OP

entaiiie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' GT
I don’t know if you have or have not already BUT, even though it’s at the Dealer and there is movement with them contacting Ford Engineering to work the issue - DEFINITLEY call the 800 Ford Customer line, get yourself a Case number started.

Professionally, but politely state your displeasure being the car is brand new... you’ll get compensated... trust me. Don’t back down and don’t pass up what I’m telling you by only relying on the Service Dept. taking care of things. When you initiate a Case # with the Local Regional Ford CSR, your vehicle gets the highest level of priority and when you politely voice your displeasure about Ford’s product and being a new owner, you could end up with the following choices of compensation:

1) Vehicle Maintenance Plan up to 45K miles
2) Extended Warranty Plan up to 75k miles
3) Depending on how long vehicle is in shop, possibility of 1-2 car pmt reimbursement
thank you. I had planned on doing this. I am not very keen on paying a monthly note on something I'm not able to drive - especially since it's already been a week and we've essentially made no progress. I think having a ford rep involved will definitely help prioritize. I'm also super uneasy about having a factory engine popped open... a big part of why I buy new cars is so that I don't have to deal with unknown's that had previously worked on the thing, and I never like to work on internals. :[

OP
OP

entaiiie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' GT
There is a bunch of 15-17 owners. Going. See told ya biotch!:D
lol, I am sure!

I knew it was a risk, too, though. early production car, new engine configuration ... rollin the dice
Sponsored