Sponsored

New to this level of HP.. 18 GT

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
So I hear some folks here with FI GTs running around, and I'm wondering, how the hell do you drive those cars? I've recently got an 18 GT with the Auto and I'm having a hard time feeling out the power band to where stuff starts to get slippery. I have the P Zero Nero A/S and it's pretty cold here lately, but even on dry surfaces, I get the feeling I'm going to drive/slide off the road if I am not careful (such as on ramps and such). It's to the point that I can drive my Fusion harder around turns and curbs more comfortably. Do I just need driving time to become more comfortable, or what gives? (at about 50 miles right now).
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So I hear some folks here with FI GTs running around, and I'm wondering, how the hell do you drive those cars? I've recently got an 18 GT with the Auto and I'm having a hard time feeling out the power band to where stuff starts to get slippery. I have the P Zero Nero A/S and it's pretty cold here lately, but even on dry surfaces, I get the feeling I'm going to drive/slide off the road if I am not careful (such as on ramps and such). It's to the point that I can drive my Fusion harder around turns and curbs more comfortably. Do I just need driving time to become more comfortable, or what gives? (at about 50 miles right now).
Time with the car (#1), better tires (the Neros aren't good at much of anything) and warm weather. You can hardly use more than 1/2-2/3 in the winter, even with snow tires. You'll start really enjoying it in the spring. This car is also the first I've owned with anything like this amount of power. Just learn the car.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
All seasons are shit for putting down power, especially 460hp.

Once it warms up put a good set of tires on it, I would step up the width as well.

After 2 weeks of beating on it you'll understand why guys want more. The first time I ever rode a 600cc sport bike I couldn't believe anyone could ever want anything faster, and after a month of owning mine I was wondering why I didn't just go for the 1000.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The PZero Neros are truly a garbage tire. I'd rather be rolling on three day old used condoms than those rubbers..........

Get some decent tires like Continental ExtremeContact Sports for the nice months and just take it easy; you get used to anything. My GT350 feels "slow" at this point but I've had it for a while and it's been on track.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
All seasons are shit for putting down power, especially 460hp.

Once it warms up put a good set of tires on it, I would step up the width as well.

After 2 weeks of beating on it you'll understand why guys want more. The first time I ever rode a 600cc sport bike I couldn't believe anyone could ever want anything faster, and after a month of owning mine I was wondering why I didn't just go for the 1000.
Yeah... I have a 1400 :eyebulge:

Sponsored

iTutn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Accord Euro R / 2016 GT Premium PP
The tires are crap, I live in the Caribbean its around 85* in the mornings (if we're unlucky it does get warmer) and I have to be careful. Pulling out of my road this morning was scary (cause it caught me by surprise) but fun (because this isn't my first RWD car). My end goal power wise is 700-800whp. learning the car and self-control helps a lot AFTER you change the tires of course.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If you have all season tires, they slide around pretty much all the time.

If you get summer only high performance tires, they DO NOT WORK below 50 or so degrees. Above 60-70 degrees, they will grip much, much better.

Everything is a trade-off.

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
Bummer that this upgraded wheel and tire package comes with such shit tires, eh?

So I can run these in the cold and just drive nicely. I guess I should get another set of wheels and summer tires for fun times. When you say don't work under 50, should I literally not drive with them under 50?

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Bummer that this upgraded wheel and tire package comes with such shit tires, eh?

So I can run these in the cold and just drive nicely. I guess I should get another set of wheels and summer tires for fun times. When you say don't work under 50, should I literally not drive with them under 50?
It's a good idea not to lol.

I took my car out the other day to stretch it's legs, I rolled on the throttle in 3rd gear on cold tires, hit an expansion joint and it broke the rears loose.

The pirellis are on another level of terrible in the cold though.

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
Okay thanks. You all have confirmed that I simply have a rubber problem and not necessarily a driver problem. I swore that I must be doing something wrong/stupid, but this makes more sense.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Okay thanks. You all have confirmed that I simply have a rubber problem and not necessarily a driver problem. I swore that I must be doing something wrong/stupid, but this makes more sense.
Oh, you're also clearly an inexperienced driver, which is really the biggest issue.

What were your previous vehicles?

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
TBH, it feels less lively than my 2016 Miata, but it does feel heavier so I took some time to get used to that. But mainly I think since I've been driving manuals for more than five years, I get used to the power by modulating the clutch usage, but since you're driving an auto I don't think this will be of too much help.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Cold & Rainy Weather

= Bad Time to drive your car hard. Tires any tires don't like.

Esp. in a Mustang GT. Otherwise you will be calling Farmers Insurance and asking them if you can be in their hall of fame. :lol:

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
TBH, it feels less lively than my 2016 Miata, but it does feel heavier so I took some time to get used to that. But mainly I think since I've been driving manuals for more than five years, I get used to the power by modulating the clutch usage, but since you're driving an auto I don't think this will be of too much help.
Take out the back seats, spare tire, jack, and add in a lighter battery.

Now, you are saving yourself about ~85-90 lbs there right (basically a whole person).

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
THIS >>>>>>>>>>>

If you have all season tires, they slide around pretty much all the time.

If you get summer only high performance tires, they DO NOT WORK below 50 or so degrees. Above 60-70 degrees, they will grip much, much better.

Everything is a trade-off.
:thumbsup:
Sponsored