Sponsored

Weird body/paint issue in trunk - Massive defect?

MustangNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt and 2017 Shelby GT350
Just took delivery of a brand new gt350. Underneath the very top right corner of the truck lid at the bottom of passenger side rear windshield there seems to be a defect in the actual metal of the body. Instead of being a solid piece of metal there is a material with a soft bubble foam like texture which was painted over at what seems the same time as the body panel was. I took and a pin and was able to poke right through it. The material is similar to expanding foam sealant. Its really hard to explain what this exactly is and from all the research I did I can not find anyone having something similiar. It is not the typical overspray or bubbling of paint but seems to be a filler for missing metal on that body panel.

I don't even have 75 miles on the car and just noticed this. I will be taking it to the dealership but have a feeling this will be a long and unpleasant journey.

I attached some pictures if anyone can possibly chime in
IMG_9065-1365x1819.jpg
IMG_9088-1152x1536.jpg
Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Appears to be some compliant filler in the corner where the quarter panel meets the trunk structure. Mine has this on both sides. I'd fill in that pin hole though.

If you make it to the dealer, take a look at all the Mustangs there - I suspect they would look the same.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
That is common and normal. It is body sealant that is found on every vehicle manufactured and painted over. It is a paintable sealant but very flexible and paint cracks. The application method may leave much to be desired depending on the manufacturer.

OP
OP

MustangNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The odd thing is I only have it on the passenger side and it is also visible when the trunk is closed.

OP
OP

MustangNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE - I took into the dealership and apparently ford said that is normal and when they are building the car if there are any discrepancies in the seams they fill it with that material and paint it over.

Now the only thing I'm concerned about is that I had originally poked it with a pin to see what it was and I'm afraid I damaged it. The ford rep said it looked fine and that they fill it with a lot of material so that it goes in deep but my OCD is just getting to me. Do you guys think this is something I should worry about or if I should apply something on top to make sure it's fully sealed or should I be ok?

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Jesus dude, calm down.

Seriously, you're too obsessed. Relax.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
If you’re truly OCD, you’d get some matchng touchup paint to fill the hole :bolt:

Seems like you’re having a tough day getting to know your car...

Last edited:

swish77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 C-package White Stripes
These GT350s are full of defects, mostly cosmetic. I’m on my second one and I’ve found at least a half-dozen paint/body defects. (About three on each car). I’ve learned to live with them.

This is not a great car if you have OCD over tiny, or even not-so-tiny, details. I try to keep the car as nice as possible, of course, but you need to accept imperfection from Day 1. I forget about all the little issues as soon as I start driving and hear that engine. That’s what it’s all about.
Sponsored