Sponsored

Oil consumption headache

N9TMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550, e36 m3 , s2000
I’m in the market for 17 GT350 and just find out about oil consumption issue.

Some owners says car burn 1 quart every 500miles and ford dealership says it’s normal?!?! Is it a joke?

My question to GT350 owners most of you guys probably didn’t know about oil consumption issue before buy it. If you knew that issue will you still buy GT350 or just look something else?
Sponsored

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Yes, it’s a known issue among GT350 owners. Based on many comments here are the realities and the symptoms.

1. Severe engine oil consumption when new less than 10,000 miles, than tapering off to partial to normal afterwards. About 1 quart per 5-1000 miles. Thereafter, 10,000 mile, about 1 quart per 1500-2500 miles.

2, Severe engine oil consumption consistent at 1 quart or more per 1500 miles or less.

3. Mild engine consumption with about 1 quart per 3000 miles, about average.

4. Many with avarage oil usage.

Mostly, the trend seems to be initial high oil consumption and then tapering off to a more normalized level. This car eats oil though, due to the engine being a very high performance machine, hanging out in mid rpm ranges tends to eat oil, there is a bulletin published by ford for this symptom.

Otherwise, it’s not that big of a deal. Get the car, assess the situation and move on from there. It’s got a warranty, and Ford knows of the higher oil level consumption based on the bulletin issued.

Good luck

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
The Voodoo is a high-performance engine. Part of that performance is gained with minimized internal frictions. Slightly looser tolerances afford that but, on the other side of the "double-edged sword", you may have higher oil consumption rates. In my experience with a new 2016 Tech Pack and slightly used 2016 GT350R, I've noticed no appreciable oil consumption. So, don't let this issue, alone, sway you away from purchasing this sweet machine.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If I read the forums too much before purchasing the car I probably would have been concerned. I'm not sure how prevalent oil burning is. My car doesn't use an appreciable amount of oil between changes. I have roughly 22,000 miles on it.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Hit and miss. I burn none (well, a little ends up in my passenger catch can but not enough to make a change on the dipstick).

Sponsored

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The issue was unknown to me when I got the car. The original engine and replacement engines used huge amounts of oil. At worst I was stopping for oil before gas. The back of the car was black with soot.

The car always had 100% power and drove amazing. I still lurk here because the car was so great to drive. I would have one now if it didn't have this issue. No way I will own one out of warranty which sucks. I miss it.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
It's primarily about how the engine was broken in initially. Buying used, you'll likely not know the break-in procedure, and thus you run the risk of higher oil usage. Like someone mentioned previously, it seems to taper off after about 10k-12k miles. This is because most engines will eventually break in over time and miles, and so long term it's less likely to be a problem.

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
I have 8500 miles on my car. It was a quart low at around 5000 miles. Just something to be aware of. I check my oil and tire pressure every couple of fill ups. Seems there are a few GT350 owners that have never had to look after a car before, short of running it through the car wash or waiting for a check engine light!

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
It’s not an issue for me. Reports of excessive oil use are variable when you look at the entire production run. If buying new, break the engine in correctly and you shouldn’t have a problem.
Check the oil level (appropriately) at every fill up and you’ll be fine. Links on how to do so are in the thread below.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
For what it's worth. My car consumed a bit when I was driving it on the street (half qt every thousand miles or so), but has all bit stopped since it became a pretty dedicated track car.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
I’m in the market for 17 GT350 and just find out about oil consumption issue.

Some owners says car burn 1 quart every 500miles and ford dealership says it’s normal?!?! Is it a joke?

My question to GT350 owners most of you guys probably didn’t know about oil consumption issue before buy it. If you knew that issue will you still buy GT350 or just look something else?
I had a oil consumption issue in my first 2016 GT350, but that's not why I traded it in. Had almost 14k miles, but seem to consume less oil the older it got.

My 2nd GT350 (2016 R) doesn't seem to be losing any oil, except in the passenger catch can like rb92gt mentions. So yes, I knew there was an issue, but I bought another one regardless. By the way... I hit the 1000 mile break-in while on the track!

Maybe you can use the oil consumption issue as a bargaining chip? ;)

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Maybe you can use the oil consumption issue as a bargaining chip? ;)
There you go . . . put a positive spin on the matter. Maybe you can lean on the dealer for the extra $25 - $50 per year that you will be spending on oil.

But seriously, this is another case where the worst results get projected towards the entire market. There is an issue to watch oil consumption in these engines, but there are many out there that get results similar to my 16 GT350 which has about 20,000 miles and it uses 1 quart about every 2500 miles.
Sponsored