Sponsored

Whipple car runs bad - tune issues

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Okay maybe you gents can help me out. Unfortunately I am NOT running the Whipple software, but the car has been dyno tuned via Lund. I've been dealing with erratic fuel trims for like 2 weeks. At first, car hesitated to start and idled rough, out of NO WHERE. I've put 16K miles on the car, and it's had the Whipple since 400 miles ( 26K now ) and had no issues. Replaced plugs, gapped .028, and my cold start hesitation ( not wanting to turn over or idle ) is gone, but the erratic fuel trims haven't. Figured maybe vacuum leak, but can't find anything. If it was the O-Ring in the intake manifold I feel like I would've noticed it by now, unless some how it's come apart?

Decided maybe I had a melted/failed cat, and had cat deletes put on, still not different ( rear O2 and cat ot are turned off ) I've got no codes, trims seem spot on at cruising 2500-3000, but it's weird. I'll see -15 or so at start up, and once the cars warmed up, it works it way back to 0 (STFT1) and jumps around a bit but it's almost like it learns as it goes? I wouldn't think low compression since it seems like it's got plenty of power, and actually still adds 2-3 degrees of timing

Anyone experienced anything like this?
Will Lund look at your logs? It thought they went back and did revisions for free with in a certain amount of time? I have random cold start issues depending on the ambient temp. When it was below 50 degrees outside there was a lot of hesitation below 2000 rpm, in fact WOT would barely keep the car moving forward in 1st gear below 2k. I data logged the issue and it was fixed the next morning with a revision. I don't use Lund but I figure they would look at it for you. FI cars can be finicky and I never expected my car to run as "smooth" as it did on the factory tune.
Sponsored

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
Will Lund look at your logs? It thought they went back and did revisions for free with in a certain amount of time? I have random cold start issues depending on the ambient temp. When it was below 50 degrees outside there was a lot of hesitation below 2000 rpm, in fact WOT would barely keep the car moving forward in 1st gear below 2k. I data logged the issue and it was fixed the next morning with a revision. I don't use Lund but I figure they would look at it for you. FI cars can be finicky and I never expected my car to run as "smooth" as it did on the factory tune.
I sent them a log but said it looked to be a vacuum leak. I’ve checked everywhere and can’t find one. Car runs and drives and starts fine now but my fuel trims are everywhere still. At idle STFT is showing -1 to 1 most the time while LTFT shows -21.

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I sent them a log but said it looked to be a vacuum leak. I’ve checked everywhere and can’t find one. Car runs and drives and starts fine now but my fuel trims are everywhere still. At idle STFT is showing -1 to 1 most the time while LTFT shows -21.

I know the shop had troubles with Bank to Bank fuel trims once. Dual feed lines into the fuel rails then dual feed to regulator fixed this issue.

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Same message here. Any update? How about a Beta tune to see if it fixes the issue we're having?

Sponsored

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Getting frustrated here. Whipple keeps saying they have a fix, but it never comes... The answer is always "by the end of the week" or a non-committal "it takes time." Which is it? This has been going on for almost a month now. Meanwhile my car runs like crap (along with other cars) and is eating catalytic converters. Give us a promise date!

I'm feeling like Whipple is all over the forums giving the impression they're giving good support, but our problems never get fixed. I get PMs from guys who have had this issue for well over a year with no resolution asking me if Whipple has helped me yet... It's making me really consider parking the car until the weather gets warm again and that would suck.

The whole reason for the OP was that my emails to Whipple requesting support were not responded to or I was told that they'd never heard of the problem before, or that I needed to put a restrictor in the bypass valve line.

I hate to be negative but I'm frustrated... I'm willing to be a guinea pig to see if their fix works, but all I get is crickets...

John

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Getting frustrated here. Whipple keeps saying they have a fix, but it never comes... The answer is always "by the end of the week" or a non-committal "it takes time." Which is it? This has been going on for almost a month now. Meanwhile my car runs like crap (along with other cars) and is eating catalytic converters. Give us a promise date!

I'm feeling like Whipple is all over the forums giving the impression they're giving good support, but our problems never get fixed. I get PMs from guys who have had this issue for well over a year with no resolution asking me if Whipple has helped me yet... It's making me really consider parking the car until the weather gets warm again and that would suck.

The whole reason for the OP was that my emails to Whipple requesting support were not responded to or I was told that they'd never heard of the problem before, or that I needed to put a restrictor in the bypass valve line.

I hate to be negative but I'm frustrated... I'm willing to be a guinea pig to see if their fix works, but all I get is crickets...

John
I have not been in as long as you or others but I am feeling the same way. Dustin responds to my emails but its always a date further out than I was given in the last email. I have been told my issue is a vacuum leak yet I tested it at home twice and took it to a shop with a good smoke tester and found no leaks there either (money out of pocket again). All I want is to get what I was promised. Stock like cruising with a lot more power when WOT.

I am not sure what the holdup is, I have been given bits of information on a root cause by Dustin but said i would not post it here so I wont, but I am seeing no resolution.....

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
I'm just curious. Are you guys running the heavy spring bypass actuator?

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
Thought i'd seen where they'd upgraded it or something wondered if maybe I had the old style

Sponsored
OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I know the shop had troubles with Bank to Bank fuel trims once. Dual feed lines into the fuel rails then dual feed to regulator fixed this issue.
-21 on one side a vacuum leak? I don't think that sounds right. Vacuum leak would result in needing to add MORE fuel. Secondly, the effect would start to diminish as more boost is added. So, if you're +21 all over, something else is wrong. Noodle why you'd get way too much fuel on one side only... Wonky injector?

J

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
-21 on one side a vacuum leak? I don't think that sounds right. Vacuum leak would result in needing to add MORE fuel. Secondly, the effect would start to diminish as more boost is added. So, if you're +21 all over, something else is wrong. Noodle why you'd get way too much fuel on one side only... Wonky injector?

J

Mine does this exactly. -21 or so and as rpms are added it works down to -3 to -4 then as soon as I let off it goes back up.

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Stock like cruising with a lot more power when WOT.

I am not sure what the holdup is, I have been given bits of information on a root cause by Dustin but said i would not post it here so I wont, but I am seeing no resolution.....
I never expected my car to run like stock with a blower. It changes so many things it is near impossible to have it drive like it did off the showroom. When that 800 horsepower hits its all worth it. I like taking people for rides and rolling on in 4th gear and snapping the tires sideways.

Blown_90LX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold boosted 5.0L Fox & 4.6 Cobra

John
Easy answer:
Whipple guy is over in the Edelbrock post spending his time bashing other company’s blowers rather than helping you fix yours. But that’s ok they have a lot of fan boys to make up for it.

Will@Whipple

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

John
John, your frustration has not gone unnoticed, Dustin did respond to you guy's last week saying we will have a update for you and it's in the work's. We have verified the update with a local customer so you are not the guinea pig we do not release Calibration's without full verification and I think a lot of people fail to realize this is not a aftermarket level style Calibration it is not as simple as making a tweak and emailing file's out. We have to update 100's of Strategies so all the Calibration's have the update so we are all on the same playing field and then double check,triple check, load it on the server, etc.

We thank you for your patience and we can assure you it is very close and the moment it is done and ready for download we will update this forum. We won't forget I promise :thumbsup:
Sponsored