Sponsored

Pirelli P Zero tires to be OE on '15 Mustang

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
255/40ZR19 96Y P ZERO: front tire for Mustang GT and all around fitment on I4 EcoBoost Performance package;
275/40ZR19 101Y P ZERO: rear tire for Mustang GT used with 255/40ZR19 PZERO front;
255/40ZR19 96W P Zero Nero all-season: offered on I4 and GT; and
265/35ZR20 99Y XL P ZERO: offered on I4 and GT.

Pirelli Tire North America Inc. says it has continued its well-established technical partnership with Ford Motor Co. in announcing that the 19-inch P Zero and 19-inch P Zero Nero all-season tires will be OE fitments for the 2015 Mustang GT model.

This latest fitment lines up alongside the other Pirelli tires that equip Ford models such as the Ford Edge, Ford Expedition and Ford F-150.

Pirelli says the 19-inch P Zero Nero all-season has been developed to cope with the high performance demands generated by the latest generation iconic Mustang model from Ford. Thanks to its asymmetric all-season tread design, the P Zero Nero all-season is an UHP tire that offers enhanced winter traction, consistent grip for acceleration and braking and a high level of wet grip as a result of its four proportioned channels, which improve control in aquaplaning situations, the company notes.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/new...to-be-oe-on-2015-mustang-gt.aspx?prestitial=1
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
They need to work on their summer tires, especially making them more consistent in various weather conditions. Summer tires from Michelin and Continental are far less susceptible to changes in temperature.

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
They need to work on their summer tires, especially making them more consistent in various weather conditions. Summer tires from Michelin and Continental are far less susceptible to changes in temperature.
Are they not as good if it gets cold or rains or is too hot etc?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Are they not as good if it gets cold or rains or is too hot etc?

The Pirelli PZero summer tires become hard as rock when the temps drop below say 40 degrees, even higher(50ish F) when they are a few years old. They lose all grip and stability, and are downright dangerous when it is both cold and wet. In comparison, my current Continental DW summer tires have consistent grip even below freezing and are phenomenal in the rain.

Sponsored

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
The Pirelli PZero summer tires become hard as rock when the temps drop below say 40 degrees, even higher(50ish F) when they are a few years old. They lose all grip and stability, and are downright dangerous when it is both cold and wet. In comparison, my current Continental DW summer tires have consistent grip even below freezing and are phenomenal in the rain.
I have no issues with mine, in Michigan. Its been fairly cold lately. Few days we saw below 0°. I of course am just daily driving, but it has its spirited moments, and i can't complain. And these tires are near the end of their life as well.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Quite remarkable that they choose the 265/35/20 as the option tire. It's a full percent higher than the 255/40/19, whereas a 255/35/20 would be exactly the same height as a 255/40/19.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
I have to agree with Grimace on the PZero line up. I have some 275 PZero Nero tires on the back and I threw my rear end around pretty good with just half throttle at 30 mph on those tires. The air temp was 18 degrees and my tires were warm (had been driving for a good 20-30 min). It was night time so it was hard to tell if the roads had a light sheen of water on them, but it hadn't rained in days so I don't think it was wet.

I'm from Louisiana and I'm not really use to driving on really cold roads so this really surprised me. I haven't been too impressed with these so far so I'm pretty sure I'll move on to something else when these reach the end of their tread life.

EDIT: I will say that they do work well enough in wet conditions, though. But I do drive like a granny when its raining so I'm sure that helps. No shoulders and deep ditches here in Louisiana, its best not to tempt fate lol.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I have to agree with Grimace on the PZero line up. I have some 275 PZero Nero tires on the back and I threw my rear end around pretty good with just half throttle at 30 mph on those tires. The air temp was 18 degrees and my tires were warm (had been driving for a good 20-30 min). It was night time so it was hard to tell if the roads had a light sheen of water on them, but it hadn't rained in days so I don't think it was wet.
Are you talking about the all-seasons? I've actually had no traction problems like that in the cold weather. I was even recently out during the cold snap. If you hit black ice, that might have caused the slippage.

Thanks for your input.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Are you talking about the all-seasons? I've actually had no traction problems like that in the cold weather. I was even recently out during the cold snap. If you hit black ice, that might have caused the slippage.

Thanks for your input.
Yes I am talking about all-seasons, and yea that's probably more likely the case. I'm a web-footed cajun and that's one of the only sub 25 degree trip I've driven. I don't know how the people up north handle that lol

Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Yes I am talking about all-seasons, and yea that's probably more likely the case. I'm a web-footed cajun and that's one of the only sub 25 degree trip I've driven. I don't know how the people up north handle that lol
Dude, I'm in Prairieville also....... 2011 gt/cs here.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I have no issues with mine, in Michigan. Its been fairly cold lately. Few days we saw below 0°. I of course am just daily driving, but it has its spirited moments, and i can't complain. And these tires are near the end of their life as well.

When it is time for you to replace them, I recommend either Michelin Super Sports or Continental Extreme DW tires. Both are cheaper than the Pirellis(Michelin about $30-50 per tire, the Contis are about $100-150 cheaper) and once you drive you will notice a huge difference in both maximum grip in adverse weather but also feedback and stability. The PZeros can hold their own when warmed up, but the Michelin and Contis can do that as well as handle the wet and cold stuff.

This was my experience on my car and of those of a few of my customers. I've had a few guys with C63s go through their PZero factory tires in 5,000 miles. After two or three sets of them they got sick of Pirelli and switched, most to the Michelins with a few to Continental. Every one of them wished they switched right from the beginning.

I drove my PZeros through two winters even with up to an inch of snow on the roads(shoulda watched the weather report!) but the difference between them and the Contis is literally night and day.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Quite remarkable that they choose the 265/35/20 as the option tire. It's a full percent higher than the 255/40/19, whereas a 255/35/20 would be exactly the same height as a 255/40/19.

The 255/40/19 is among the shortest tires available on the Mustang for the last few years at 27" tall. The S197 GT wore 245/45/19 at 27.7", and the base 235/55/18 and Shelby 285/35/20 are both 28".