Sponsored

Question on turning in lease with aftermarket wheels

kingofsting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Shadow Black / Redline Interior
OP I turned in my 13 GT with red LED front marker bulbs, red LED front turn signals, tint on all windows and lamp housings, Roush axle backs, an aftermarket headunit, door speakers, mono amp, subwoofer, and license plate frame back-up camera (which required drilling a 1/4” hole into the rear bumper - behind the plate - for covertly running wires).

No one batted an eyelash. If I were you, I’d keep the money you’re about to waste on another set of rims and put it toward your GT payments.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
FWIW: Dealers put aftermarket wheels on new cars. The only lease I ever did was a '93 Infiniti that had dealer installed wheels. I didn't see that referenced in the lease documents and it never came up when I turned the car in.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I'm surprised you guys would want to turn in all those aftermarket parts. You could at least sell them and recover some of your costs.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I'm surprised you guys would want to turn in all those aftermarket parts. You could at least sell them and recover some of your costs.
My thoughts exactly. That's a lot of money to just throw away on a lease, or really even a car you'd trade after a year or two.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Junkyard OEM wheels. Pull the rims off, put those tires on the JY rims and turn car in. Sell rims offset cost of OEM JY rims. Problem solved.

Sponsored

Chumley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350, '18 GOLF R, '09 BMW 335
It doesn't surprise me that people modify leases, but it baffles me that those people would sell off their stock parts... especially the wheels. If you don't have the room to store it, or can't afford a storage unit, you shouldn't be swapping them off.

You must have not read my original post. I leased the car with every intention of buying it outright when the lease was over. I just wanted the cheaper lease payments for the first 3 years. I NEVER planned to turn it back in so I sold the wheels when I bought aftermarket ones. However, things changed and now I'm getting a GT. Are you trying to tell me plans never changed in your life?? Must be a boring life then.
It's really not an emotional issue. It's a bet for you to decide whether you want to take a chance on them sticking you with full price wheels or finding them yourself. Unless you have an idiot to turn your car in to, they quite likely will expect you to produce or be charged the cost to return the car to them with the same parts you had when you picked it up. You're a renter, not an owner. It's like renting an apartment and replacing the stove with a grill and expecting them not to notice. As many others have said, find yourself some stock wheels. If your wheels are nice, you should be able to sell the for more than stock or stock replicas cost anyway.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It's like renting an apartment and replacing the stove with a grill and expecting them not to notice.
Except in this case the grill is a stainless steel flattop stove instead of a white coal stove.

Or like my apartment where I upgraded the toilet and sink/vanity/cabinet...

Chumley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350, '18 GOLF R, '09 BMW 335
Except in this case the grill is a stainless steel flattop stove instead of a white coal stove.

Or like my apartment where I upgraded the toilet and sink/vanity/cabinet...
You don't have to convince me, I'm with you. I'm sure if I was buying your car I would much rather have a nice set of aftermarket wheels but that's not corporate think. Aftermarket anything is an unknown quantity and something they generally have no desire to try and assess whether it helps or hurts the value of the car you're turning in.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Can’t believe no one suggested picking up some stocks on CL or even on the forums. People are selling them all day everyday and nobody wants to buy them. Probably pick up a set for $400-500 or even do a straight trade for yours if they give you stocks in excellent condition.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
lease cars are inspected usually by an aftermarket company
and they usually come to your house look over the car and make
a report on the cars condition. If barney is a prick he will nab your ass
You should have never sold the OEMs.........Js

Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Just a thought. Can you test the waters by having them come evaluate the car a month before it’s due? If they don’t bring up the wheels then you are golden. If they do, make up some lame excuse like the OEM wheels are at your sisters boyfriends brothers parents house and ask them ask to reschedule. Might buy you some time to source some wheels if you need to. I’m betting they won’t notice.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Leasing a car and selling the wheels, that's the funniest thing I have heard in ages. :lol:

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
wheels /lease

As long as the wheels on the car are aeshetically pleasing and equal or greater value shouldnt be a problem.

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
Next time I rent a car from Budget, I may sell some parts to off set the rental price. :doh:
Lee

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Next time I rent a car from Budget, I may sell some parts to off set the rental price. :doh:
Lee
I did wonder about something like that before though, does anyone ever take a rental of their same car (lets say a base car like a Nissan Versa) and swap out all the wheels/tires?

Cheaper than buying new tires and nothing visual really changed to trigger something for the rental company...
Sponsored