Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
So, I guess a catch can isn't really necessary from what you guys said above :shrug:
I'm almost at 36k miles on my 2016 without one. The reason I didn't put one on is that I was advised against it by one of the forum sponsors (who also happens to make a well known tune for the Ecoboost). And no, it wasn't Adam ;) Anyhow, the official line of this particular tuner is that they advise against it because of the known issues with the old Mazdaspeed 3 engine and getting plenty of lubrication during break-in, including through PCV recovery.

Catch cans definitely have their place, and if my car were racing every weekend, you can bet I'd put one on. There it's insurance. I haven't seen the need in my daily driving as of yet. Besides, the engine warranty goes out to 60,000 miles, and if there's a problem before that, it's all on Ford. If your intake valves get coked after that, there's plenty of shops that have dealt with DI turbocharged engines before (like Audi) and know how to media blast the intake valves with walnut shells. There's even DIY kits for that :thumbsup:

RedEcoJet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jerryallgire.com
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost - Pre-Production #280 Product Planning & Styling Vehicle
Vehicle Showcase
Mishimoto plugged up

I've had my Mishimoto cc for about 65k. This past week I had two codes show up for pcv. Drained my cc. Normal amount of water and oil came out. Took the cc off and apart. Approximately a 1/4 of muck in the bottom. Found the bronze filter element was almost completely plugged up. Even carb cleaner barely helped. Need to see if I can get a replacement filter from Mishimoto.

Jerry

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
I'm almost at 36k miles on my 2016 without one. The reason I didn't put one on is that I was advised against it by one of the forum sponsors (who also happens to make a well known tune for the Ecoboost). And no, it wasn't Adam ;) Anyhow, the official line of this particular tuner is that they advise against it because of the known issues with the old Mazdaspeed 3 engine and getting plenty of lubrication during break-in, including through PCV recovery.
This company evens sells a catch can...
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP453901

:cheers:
Sponsored