Sponsored

Catch Can question

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I will have sold or replaced my car before the potential benefits of a catch can arise. Plus, I'm not sold and I'm not big on introducing items to a car not applied at the factory.

Be careful who you listen to on here... there are a lot of opinions but most people simply repeat what they heard in another thread or some website. I'd research outside of this forum.

There are always upsides and downsides to any modification. Always know the downsides (everyone will spout the upsides until their fingers crack their keyboard).

Ensure your dealer is fine with the modification...
I finally agree with something you've posted for once :D

Catch cans are nothing more than a gimmick, the majority of what you are collecting is condensation. Any oil that ends up in the can over a short period of time would be burnt off during combustion.

If you want to validate whether blow-by is causing your octane ratings to drop, hook up an OBD2 datalogger and monitor OAR. I have the FP Tune, Mishi IC, and no catch can, and OAR never moves from -1 with Wawa 92/93 octane fuel.

Clearly everyone is nervous about sludge with these engines, but there has been ZERO proof that a catch can has prevented this from occurring, or that it's even an issue to begin with on the 2.3. IMO, i'd rather take my chances considering there are a ton of rental car EB's out there with 50k+ and no issues to speak of. I don't think any of us can abuse our cars to the extent that rentals get!
Sponsored

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Got the Mishimoto on mine as well. Never heard of these until a few years ago, but was convinced by the forums that they are 'essential'! I don't seem to collect hardly anything in the can. One of the connectors does seem to leak as well, even though it's well screwed in. Seen people using teflon tape on the threads to mitigate this.

OP
OP
Nightblue3

Nightblue3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
So, I guess a catch can isn't really necessary from what you guys said above :shrug:

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Got the Mishimoto on mine as well. Never heard of these until a few years ago, but was convinced by the forums that they are 'essential'! I don't seem to collect hardly anything in the can. One of the connectors does seem to leak as well, even though it's well screwed in. Seen people using teflon tape on the threads to mitigate this.
OK...

Everyone has there own opinions about "the can " are you sure you have one installed!! from day one have collection of garbage in this system ,and can do bad things to our motors especially in WOT on track to freeway on ramps too your car "protection is cheap insurance.."

""CATCH CAN""

Major oil deposits
Sludge in bottom of can
Water vapors
Contaminants of all sorts

And I change my oil every time I see 50% oil use from my head up display.. :cheers:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
So, I guess a catch can isn't really necessary from what you guys said above :shrug:
Motor oil is designed to hold "contaminants" in suspension (one of the reasons used oil becomes dark--you see the contaminants it's holding) until you change it. If you follow the manufacturer's change interval recommendations you'll never see enough contaminants in the oil to cause engine damage.

Use an oil that meets manufacturer specs and change it as recommended. If your driving pattern includes frequent, short trips consider changing the oil more often, because if the oil doesn't get hot enough it won't boil off the water that collects from condensation inside the engine when it cools after shutdown.

Don't be afraid to occasionally take it up to redline, which tends to dislodge carbon deposits that can form in the combustion chamber of engines driven by grannies.

If you use a good quality oil, make sure it gets up to full operating temperature, occasionally blow out the carbon, and change the oil as recommended, then you'll get rid of the water just by driving the car, and all those nasty contaminants are carried out of the engine by the used oil before they can cause any damage.

No need for a catch can.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Deffo not installed right, did you spanner it tight buddy? Or is it one of the loc connctors going onto the PCV male connectors?

I collect a shit tonne of sludge everytime I'm out, even more so now I'm tuned, but that's expected. Speaking of which I need to empty it.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
OK...

Everyone has there own opinions about "the can " are you sure you have one installed!! ."
Deffo not installed right, did you spanner it tight buddy? Or is it one of the loc connctors going onto the PCV male connectors?

I collect a shit tonne of sludge everytime I'm out, even more so now I'm tuned, but that's expected. Speaking of which I need to empty it.

Yeah, I thought something was wrong a while ago as I expected to get a can full. However, the connectors are in the right place (there's not much to do wrong) and seems the amount varies between driver/car. Maybe depends on driving style? Mine largely being very conservative! Probably got a a teaspoon's worth when I checked yesterday.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Maybe depends on driving style? Mine largely being very conservative! Probably got a a teaspoon's worth when I checked yesterday.
I think this is largely the key. If you've modded your car to produce significantly more horsepower than stock, AND you're frequently using all that power (hopefully on a track), then the stock air/oil separator may not be up to the task. Even in this situation, the only benefit I see for a catch can is to avoid spitting lubricant back into the intake, which can lower power and potentially contaminate the mixture enough to lower octane. I still maintain that even a souped up car doesn't need a catch can to keep the engine clean; you'll do just fine if you keep the oil changed.

If you're running stock HP and not driving like your hair is on fire, then I think a catch can is a waste of money.

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
I have a UPR dual Valve Catch Can that I empty out every 2,000 miles.
This is a consistent amount that gets emptied out every cycle.
Catch Can 2k Miles.PNG

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I have a UPR dual Valve Catch Can that I empty out every 2,000 miles.
This is a consistent amount that gets emptied out every cycle.
Doesn't seem like much when you consider there is a gallon-and-a-half of oil in the sump...

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Doesn't seem like much when you consider there is a gallon-and-a-half of oil in the sump...
I can't tell if the bottom of the cup is stained or if there is actually something in there :lol:

LuckyJerk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
True but I'm planning on keeping this car till the wheels fall off. So any and all things that are worth doing to extend the longevity of the car I have no problem doing.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I catch 5 oz average every 3 weeks or so. 8k miles a year is my mileage average. UPR DVCC and a catless DP

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I catch 5 oz average every 3 weeks or so. 8k miles a year is my mileage average. UPR DVCC and a catless DP
I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of what they get out of their catch can? What if it's no different than the dirty oil in the sump?