Sponsored

Voodoo Theory

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
Direct Injection could push it over 470hp... Is a 525hp Voodoo needed?
Pill, remember that voodoo is simply the new name for this motor. As roadrunner was the term for the hi-po coyote last gen, this new coyote is recieving a new name. Its still a coyote (when you break it down) even the flat plane prototypes were still a coyote block. But the voodoo is farther from a coyote than the RR.

So far voodoo is, as they say, "beyond what was needed." So I doubt another NA is in the works. I am impatiently awaiting news on possibilities of boost.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Guys, this is a difficult thread to keep track of, so..................

What is the latest thinking on Voodoo?

5.2?
Flat plane crank or not?

As Pill pointed out, I guess it's quite possible the Coyote in the GT could be pushing and easy 440bhp...........is the cost of Voodoo worth it for an extra 60bhp?

The GT with the boost gauge throws even more confusion..........surely a Ford Racing supercharger (if that's what's likely to be offered) will give an easy 500bhp, probably more.

If the flat plane crank gives us that n/a 500bhp, it'd be a shame if it came at the cost of significant torque.

:shrug:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Pill, remember that voodoo is simply the new name for this motor. As roadrunner was the term for the hi-po coyote last gen, this new coyote is recieving a new name. Its still a coyote (when you break it down) even the flat plane prototypes were still a coyote block. But the voodoo is farther from a coyote than the RR.

So far voodoo is, as they say, "beyond what was needed." So I doubt another NA is in the works. I am impatiently awaiting news on possibilities of boost.
Ah, Okay... I just didn't see the need for another NA entry unless they needed a FPC for a Motorsport class specifically. There is no other reason to produce one.

/eagerly awaiting the new Coyote name...

Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Folks, I apologize for evidently making a mess of this. There have been at least three who've gotten confused, and where there's one, there's probably 20.

So, I'll just can it from now on -- I'm not going to add more confusion.

My purpose in speaking up in the first place was to try to put some limits on the feasibility of some power, rpm, and dimensions thrown around. To that end, I'll pretty much guarantee Ford isn't going to offer an 8500 rpm engine with the Coyote's stock stroke (in a street legal vehicle -- all bets are off if the Voodoo is intended for the CJ, etc). Also, I'd say 540 horse, give or take, is likely a good HP upper limit for a streetable, emissions certified, and warrantied Coyote-based engine.

I'll answer Pill's questions in a follow-up post.

Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Pill, "Does a Voodoo seem worth the money?" I can't say -- how much extra will the Voodoo cost? And how much extra power/torque will the additional cost produce? It all depends on where in the spectrum of designs Ford thinks is the most cost-effective, I'd think. But I have no idea where that is! :) Further, there will always be some who will pony up pretty much whatever it takes for bragging rights. So, the answer to your question will also depend on whom you ask.

For me, reliability is very important. I don't want some highly stressed thing that will need to be overhauled every 50k miles, say, or less with track duty. I do like keeping $ in my pocket. If Ford makes a 500 horse, 410+ torque engine with stress levels equal to those in the Road Runner, I'd be on board.

"Is a 525 horse Voodoo needed?" Well, part of me says "Absolutely!" :). But, in my opinion, a 525 horse street engine is kind of a waste of money. That sort of power level only makes sense for racing, in my opinion. But, as above, the answer will depend upon whom you ask.

Finally, one or two generic 'principles'. Displacement and rpm make it 'easy' to make power. But... (there's always a but), bigger engines, and higher-revving engines are also more highly stressed (all things being equal). So, that's the trade-off, and that's the reason for the wide flavor of various engines out there. Look at the Ferrari F163FB and how it makes its performance, and compare it to the Viper's 8.4L monster. Some may fault the Viper as old tech, etc, and it appears to be so, but it makes 640/600 in a low-stress package -- which to me implies reliability and focusing on racing instead of overhauling.

Pick your poison...

Bill

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Pill, "Does a Voodoo seem worth the money?" I can't say -- how much extra will the Voodoo cost? And how much extra power/torque will the additional cost produce? It all depends on where in the spectrum of designs Ford thinks is the most cost-effective, I'd think. But I have no idea where that is! :) Further, there will always be some who will pony up pretty much whatever it takes for bragging rights. So, the answer to your question will also depend on whom you ask.

For me, reliability is very important. I don't want some highly stressed thing that will need to be overhauled every 50k miles, say, or less with track duty. I do like keeping $ in my pocket. If Ford makes a 500 horse, 410+ torque engine with stress levels equal to those in the Road Runner, I'd be on board.

"Is a 525 horse Voodoo needed?" Well, part of me says "Absolutely!" :). But, in my opinion, a 525 horse street engine is kind of a waste of money. That sort of power level only makes sense for racing, in my opinion.

Finally, one or two generic 'principles'. Displacement and rpm make it 'easy' to make power. But... (there's always a but), bigger engines, and higher-revving engines are also more highly stressed (all things being equal). So, that's the trade-off, and that's the reason for the wide flavor of various engines out there. Look at the Ferrari F163FB and how it makes its performance, and compare it to the Viper's 8.4L monster. Some may fault the Viper as old tech, etc, and it appears to be so, but it makes 640/600 in a low-stress package -- which to me implies reliability and focusing on racing instead of overhauling.

Pick your poison...

Bill
Thanks Bill...

I can see some use for that type of engine in Professional Racing, even then I would limit the use to just a few classes. Another "and then" is, could a Coyote based engine meet class requirements by itself.

Another thing I am not clear on... Does the Voodoo share Coyote block and head castings?

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
Niche line got locked up today. As in, doors locked. No access.

On a side note. The phrase of the day is flat plane.

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
Allow me to state this before it becomes an issue.

My top statement is fact.

My bottom statement is my forwarding of mass rumor.

Sponsored

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
Locked up but with people still working, or closed and waiting?
They have not been working the niche line for a while, I believe I reported when they shut it down. Now its locked down as well. Before it was just an empty line. Now its unaccessable. The regular niche line workers are either on lay off or working elsewhere. If there is any work being done, its kept very quiet.

johnnyblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
They have not been working the niche line for a while, I believe I reported when they shut it down. Now its locked down as well. Before it was just an empty line. Now its unaccessable. The regular niche line workers are either on lay off or working elsewhere. If there is any work being done, its kept very quiet.
Sorry if I missed it but what exactly is this shut down you're talking about.

Are you saying SVT actually started producing the Voodoo engine already? It seems way too early.

trolls56

Threads
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it but what exactly is this shut down you're talking about.

Are you saying SVT actually started producing the Voodoo engine already? It seems way too early.
What i think he is getting at they are retooling for something new.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
I would love Ford to kick aside the literal BS and do a flat plane high revving v8. Love love love. From a muscle car fan. Love love. Did i say i would love it? It's not a mustang gt which will have the burble. Show me a world class na v8 i know you can make. It will win in the end. Bye bye z28
Sponsored