Best tune for Automatic

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I had lund give me a tune with the stock trans tuning. for street driving it's nice. i don't need it to hit hard all the time.

running livernois now with their OTS 91 sport tune for auto's. The power is there and shifts hard at WOT and soft at part throttle which i like.

However....it's not locking the converter correctly under part throttle (normal acceleration). I can feel it shifting gears from 2-5 but the rpm's stay at 1800 to 2000 the whole time. Feels like a CVT. Plus it upshifts far too soon and is unwilling to downshift unless i go pretty aggressive on the throttle input. this is in D or S.

I've emailed them and am waiting for a response but I'm surprised i'm the only one with this issue.
I have the LMS tune as well. And it does make much more power than stock, but I , too, agree that the downshift is not quick enough. In track mode downshifting when you let off the throttle is not as good as it seemed stock.
Sponsored

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
if you are dead set on Lund, I always had good luck with Dakota Deck
Dasan Holloway did my GT350 Manifold tune. I have no complaints about him.

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
[MENTION=19899][email protected][/MENTION]When you say engine braking is tamed and that no one else offers this, can you expand on that? Is it comparable to a manual transmission with pushing the clutch in when you aren't on the accelerator and then it rev matches when you hit the accelerator?

Also, is this a base GT or a premium car with this improvement?
Sorry I missed this. If I understand what's going on it seems like it upshifts when you decelerate rather then downshift to avoid the jerky engine breaking. So it seems like it goes "neutral" under deceleration. As soon as you touch the throttle it shifts back into the appropriate gear, smoothly and quickly. Whatever it's doing it works lol.

Base gt auto

8915GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had Lund adjust the shift pressures on my auto. Now in D mode it shifts smoother and it doesn't hunt for 6th gear at low speeds anymore. It keeps the revs up, more so if I am in low gear and am more aggressive with the throttle. I still use it in S mode and shift the gears manually 98% of the time and I still recommend that for anyone. The engine braking is smooth on this tune. The only time when I get pushed forward is when the torque converter comes into play below 2,000 RPMs, which I don't think you can do anything about. It's just the nature of the converter lock/unlock. But even then it's nothing to fret over IMO and I'm fairly picky.

The throttle response, power, and shifts are way better than a stock car. If I had to go back to stock I'd probably sell the car because in stock form it doesn't feel like it has the stated HP.
Did you have to request for Lund to fix the down shifting rev matching or is already included in the standard tune? Also would it still be good using 91 octane gas? Thanks!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Did you have to request for Lund to fix the down shifting rev matching or is already included in the standard tune? Also would it still be good using 91 octane gas? Thanks!
No I didn't do that. They didn't change those settings at all just the shift pressure in the D mode. On my FF tune - yes I can use 91 octane gas. FWIW - I always used 93 or E85 or some mixture thereof. But a few times when I've been desperate I've used 91 and no issues at all.

Sponsored

8915GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Question for any auto guys with a tune or with out a tune.
If you are cruising at 45 MPH and floor it how long before your car actually starts to get moving? like how long for it to down shift and throw you back in your seat..

Mine is about a 1to 1.5 second delay in all drive modes on a tune and I am wondering if this is just the nature of the auto tranny? It is not a throtlle delay as if I am using the paddle shifters and down shift first then floor it the acceleration is immediate. This is the first auto Mustang I ever owned. Thanks!

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Question for any auto guys with a tune or with out a tune.
If you are cruising at 45 MPH and floor it how long before your car actually starts to get moving? like how long for it to down shift and throw you back in your seat..

Mine is about a 1to 1.5 second delay in all drive modes on a tune and I am wondering if this is just the nature of the auto tranny? It is not a throtlle delay as if I am using the paddle shifters and down shift first then floor it the acceleration is immediate. This is the first auto Mustang I ever owned. Thanks!
my car is instant. The rpm's climb hard, especially at speed. How is your tuner? am using VMP.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
My car is instant. I use the paddle shifters 99.9% of the time. Lund tune.

8915GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
my car is instant. The rpm's climb hard, especially at speed. How is your tuner? am using VMP.
I think he is good but only ever used him for the S550

My car is instant. I use the paddle shifters 99.9% of the time. Lund tune.
Mine is instant using the paddle shifters but there is a 1-1.5s delay in normal, sport+ and track mode.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I think he is good but only ever used him for the S550

Mine is instant using the paddle shifters but there is a 1-1.5s delay in normal, sport+ and track mode.
My advice is to use the paddle shifters all the time. I've used my car in sport mode letting the car shift itself and I don't like it. Just my personal preference.

I can say this - on stock tune, the throttle "lag" was evident, but not on my Lund tune. Lund said that they do not change the throttle mapping from stock; all they do is reduce the amount of torque limiting that Ford put in their strategy.

I can't say I know what you're talking about specifically or that I have experienced it on my car.

Sponsored

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
No tuner should tell you that they can't control or change the shifting, in any facet, for "D" or "S" mode in the S550. The "engine breaking" that you were referring to is nothing more than the downshift maps being set too high for a given Output Shaft Speed (OSS). When tuning the factory ECU all of the shifting maps are primarily based on the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), Brake, and the OSS. Just FYI, when it comes to most autos, in my experience, most tuners don't like to go too in depth unless it is something that is important to them personally for two main reasons 1) auto customers are a small portion of the customer base and 2) most auto customers are perfectly content with only having shifts quickened and firmed. Today's trans controls can get awfully complicated as they have been engineered to learn over time and have base maps for countless variables. I still have nightmares from when I trying to wrap my head around the 6L80's need for hundreds of trans maps....

It is my observation that most tuners provide pre-defined "cookie cutter" tunes to most of their customers and the customers are not informed enough to understand what they are paying for. There is a reason that most of these tunes are priced the way they are. I am not at all saying that they are not worth every penny or that customers are not getting a tune that is more performance oriented, but you as a consumer need to understand that these are not "Custom Tunes" that were built specifically for you from the ground up. They are actually a mass data configuration based off of a given set of mods that has been accumulated over time. ALL major tuners do this as it is the most time efficient and test way due to the fact that 99% of customers run the identical types of mod combinations. In this age of tuning, even "Custom Tunes" use some sort of mod combination base to start from.

So with all that said, if there are very specific things that you want in your tune, research the tuner and others with similar mod combinations to see if they are handled by their tunes and if they are not ask up front if they can be included. When I tuned cars I didn't mind working a specific feature in up front as much as I did when I would have to tweak it or work it in afterwards. Plus tuning anything that is not in front of you and on a dyno can be a big PIA for so many reasons that would make this already long post even longer.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Gotta recommend Shaun @ AED. Did my 18 GT PP1 A10. Very pleased.

Red Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Gotta recommend Shaun @ AED. Did my 18 GT PP1 A10. Very pleased.
Shaun is a great tuner for sure. I have ran his tunes on my last few cars and nothing but impressed. Currently battling a engine rattle at 2-2.5k rpms that does not have me confident to flash a tune and run the risk of questionable warranty if something happened. Car is going in next week again for evaluation as it is getting worse.

Did he leave D basically normal and make all changes with transmission in S mode like he did on the 6r80 cars?
Sponsored