Sponsored

Rear suspension squeak

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Normally these things don't bother me but damn, this is just getting loud now. Passenger side rear suspension is got an awful squeak. Pushing down on the passenger side fender by the trunk will reproduce the sound (imagine driving it on a bumpy road). Sounds like a rusty pickup truck.

With the small amount of downward force necessary to reproduce, I'm thinking it is somewhere in the spring/shock area. Steeda dual comp springs, adjustable shocks, and billet rear shock mounts are the parts that I have upgraded in that area.

Don't think it could be a sway bar bushing or vertical link but I could be mistaken. Both have been upgraded as well.
Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Normally these things don't bother me but damn, this is just getting loud now. Passenger side rear suspension is got an awful squeak. Pushing down on the passenger side fender by the trunk will reproduce the sound (imagine driving it on a bumpy road). Sounds like a rusty pickup truck.

With the small amount of downward force necessary to reproduce, I'm thinking it is somewhere in the spring/shock area. Steeda dual comp springs, adjustable shocks, and billet rear shock mounts are the parts that I have upgraded in that area.

Don't think it could be a sway bar bushing or vertical link but I could be mistaken. Both have been upgraded as well.
Well the Steeda dual rate springs do not squeak nor do the billet mounts.

It could be the sway bar pivot bushings that need to be re- lubed or the vertical links. Do not use protroleum lube, use only a synthetic sticky lube.

Steeda Tech

lava5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Most likely if you have upgraded the rear vertical links and have one side that has a delrin bushing, that is the culprit. I had this exact problem and have upgraded most parts on my rear (bushings, springs, shocks, etc)

Easy fix is to take the links off, get some silicone lube and give the bushings on both sides a good spray. This immediately fixed my problem and have been squeak free for about a month now!

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Easy fix is to take the links off, get some silicone lube and give the bushings on both sides a good spray. This immediately fixed my problem and have been squeak free for about a month now!
Might have to give this a shot. We sprayed multiple components down yesterday and it is still squeaking like a rusty truck just not as bad. Taking the vertical links off might help get the lubrication in where it needs to go.

lava5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Definitely give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Most likely if you have upgraded the rear vertical links and have one side that has a delrin bushing, that is the culprit. I had this exact problem and have upgraded most parts on my rear (bushings, springs, shocks, etc)

My friends car developed a really bad squeak. Turned out to be his Steeda Vertical Links which were bone dry after a few thousand miles (and properly lubed pins and bushings using the supplied Steeda Grease). I'd personally put the stock one's back on but he cleaned off the pins which started to fuse to the bushing, relubed them and the squeak went away.

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
My rear end started to squeak just like what you guys described here. What synthetic spray lube you guys recommend? it is too cold out to take the suspension apart.

lava5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just some silicone lube. I used Blaster's (green bottle), and I found mine at home depot.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No way spray lube was going to fix my friends problem. The metal pin was during to the rubber down in the middle of the pin. Spray lube would not get down there. It was so bad he had to use a wire wheel to clean off the pin. I told him to put the stock link back on but he fixed his problem for now.

You will probably have to take it off to properly clean it.

Sponsored

lava5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
No way spray lube was going to fix my friends problem. The metal pin was during to the rubber down in the middle of the pin. Spray lube would not get down there. It was so bad he had to use a wire wheel to clean off the pin. I told him to put the stock link back on but he fixed his problem for now.

You will probably have to take it off to properly clean it.
I definitely agree they will have to be taken off to be properly cleaned/lubed.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I had this problem with my BMR delrin/spherical vertical links. Lubing it only worked for a short time. Eventually my shop modified the bushing to accept grease and no more noise. I wasn't happy with modifying a part like this and I ended up switching to the Steeda polyurethane links and no noise yet in a few months. I also felt a "slight" improvement in compliance in the rear? The BMR ones were fine and probably could have left them on there but after talking to Mike D. I felt like the polyurethane was a better choice for a street car/handling application versus a spherical or delrin version which would be more beneficial for drag racing. Whatever I have them and no complaints thus far.

But yeah the common culprit of rear squeak is the vertical links. Next check the camber arms.

lava5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Interesting...I don't drag race, just track days and spirited driving. I may have to look into the Steeda links as I have the same spherical/delrin links from BMR on now.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Just an FYI anyone who has noise issues with our links should contact us and we have solutions. The occurrence mentioned above is something that was a possibility when we had the 046 with the Delrin on the lower mounts. We redesigned them, and also redesigned our Delrin lower bushing on the 047 model.

Our current Vertical link offerings, receiving feedback in regards to NVH is extremely rare.

The polyurethane links are pretty nice. Our 048 which are greasable on car (fittings), are becoming very popular in a short period of time.
[MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] or anyone else can always give us a ring and I am happy to resolve any issues.

;)

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
For the record Kelly at BMR has given me advice and has helped me multiple times! :-)

Nothing but respect for BMR's products. Their CB005 in particular is a fantastic product, it locks the IRS down! I don't doubt I'd be just as happy with BMRs poly links on my car.

In terms of NVH change - it's negligible maybe even placebo effect but I feel like it's there (even if only slight). I'm learning suspension components are highly subjective and often difficult to discern from person to person. And I learn more as time goes on so it's all a journey!

Ive mixed parts on my car just because I felt it was right at the time (good bad or indifferent). But anyways it took me awhile to sort out the annoying squeaks and creaks from suspension modding. It was a real PITA for me cuz I wasn't willing to accept that. It does happen sometimes and I learned I wasn't alone in it. Sometimes this stuff happens and customers learn and companies learn I think. It's always a good plan to talk to companies that made the parts, no question.
Sponsored