Sponsored

Whipple car runs bad - tune issues

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Does the Tomahawk tool support the crank relearn?

I need to call Whipple today anyway. My kit does not have the handheld, or the tune request form.
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I know the flare tool does crank relearns.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Well it runs better with the new plugs but still has a bit of a skip under high load. I wonder if the colder plugs in 10 degree weather just are out of their range.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Just curious how you are putting it under high load when it is 10 degrees outside?

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Just like passing in 6th not nailing it but getting to 0” of vacuum to pass or accelerate. That is high load just not boost

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Man it would not take 5 minutes to.do a crank relearn and won't hurt a thing,sure sounds like what is gooing on to me,as long as u have that tb issue fixed.

Will@Whipple

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I still owe a datalog. It's been stupid cold here and the roads have been all salted up. Today we had a blizzard. All in all, I won't be datalogging for a few weeks I'd guess...

I'm very interested on how to do the requisite datalog using Flare. Can you share details?

John
Hey John,

Please email [email protected] and we will get you taken care of. Thank you!

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Man it would not take 5 minutes to.do a crank relearn and won't hurt a thing,sure sounds like what is gooing on to me,as long as u have that tb issue fixed.
TB issue is fixed and I have done 3 crank relearns as I have progressed through the process.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Have the misfire codes come back again??or does it just feel like it has a miiss.

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Have the misfire codes come back again??or does it just feel like it has a miiss.
just like a slight surge/miss not real bad but we will see if it gets worse on a longer run tomorrow. It is livable but I would love to know for sure if it is the colder plugs not heating up enough in this cold weather or if it is something else.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone give a better description of the surge issue you guys are having?

I may or may not have the same issue. I do not consider what I experience even to be an issue. I have the Whipple Stage2 Gen3. Fresh purchase and install. Running the Whipple tune to maintain CARB compliance.

What I have experienced is... on the freeway, in 6th gear, going 70-80ish, sub 2500 rpm. If I floor it, I can feel a slight surge as I accelerate it. Until I get in 'the powerband' then all is great. If as I start to accelerate, I drop to 5th, no surge and the car pulls nicely. So I have been attributing it to just plan being in too high of a gear for the desired results. I call 6th my fuel economy gear. Based on speed limits and how the car runs, I could get away with never using 6th if I did not care about fuel economy. I have experienced this in 5th going even slower and a drop to 4th makes it go away. 1st through 4th, never has any surge-ish feeling.

I have 500 miles on the car since install. If what I experience is the same and the beginning of what you guys are experiencing, I am will to take a free day to go to Whipple and let them dyno and datalog my car. I am only 2-2.5hours from their shop in Fresno. Originally I was actually thinking of having them do the install.

Like I said, I have not considered this an issue yet, more so a side effect of being in to high of a gear based on speed and rpm.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
It is like that but it can be even without lugging the engine but is always under load of some level. Before the whipple I would go to pass in 6th and the car had enough torque to accelerate without flooring it or down shifting. Now at or near 0 vacuum or at 1-3 psi of boostnit will surge.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
To me as long as u don't misfires that cause aa cel it does not sound that bad.Hell my car has always had what sounded like a little misfire at idle,u can definitely hear it,but it runs great and never triggered a misfire code.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
It is like that but it can be even without lugging the engine but is always under load of some level. Before the whipple I would go to pass in 6th and the car had enough torque to accelerate without flooring it or down shifting. Now at or near 0 vacuum or at 1-3 psi of boostnit will surge.
Ahh. Your situation sounds more significant than what I have experienced. I might have a tad more surge since the Whipple than before but I rarely get on the freeway. My car is mostly a mountain road toy. It performs flawlessly in that environment.
Sponsored