Sponsored

Help me choose: Fastback GT vs Convertible GT (2018/2019)

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Apart from all the BS in this thread acting like it's 1987 all over again and Ford just cuts the roof off a coupe and calls it good there are really three things to consider.

1. Looks....some might say that with the top up the lines of the car are "off" compared to a coupe. In some respects I agree which is why all 3 of my Mustang convertibles have been dark colored. The car being close to the color of the top makes it look less broken up.
IMHO with the top down the lines are fantastic and better than the hardtop.

2. Racing.....honestly the 120 extra lbs won't matter much, all things being equal that is still a drivers race. What will be a factor is with most tracks requiring you to bolt a swing set in the car to race it will limit what you can do.

3.Safety....A roll over would be the one time I'd prefer to have a hardtop. Pretty simple solution...don't roll it!
Sponsored

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to get a fully loaded GT Premium Convertible but I after thinking about it. I decided to get the FB. I honestly couldn't be happier. The lines look so much better on the FB than the convertible. I have a 13 v6 Premium convertible and the visibility SUCKS! I didn't want to do that again. I will receive mine (hopefully) on January 15th. CSX(train company) has possession of it. Just waiting for it to get on a train and head down to NC then on a truck to SC.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Apart from all the BS in this thread acting like it's 1987 all over again and Ford just cuts the roof off a coupe and calls it good there are really three things to consider.

1. Looks....some might say that with the top up the lines of the car are "off" compared to a coupe. In some respects I agree which is why all 3 of my Mustang convertibles have been dark colored. The car being close to the color of the top makes it look less broken up.
IMHO with the top down the lines are fantastic and better than the hardtop.

2. Racing.....honestly the 120 extra lbs won't matter much, all things being equal that is still a drivers race. What will be a factor is with most tracks requiring you to bolt a swing set in the car to race it will limit what you can do.

3.Safety....A roll over would be the one time I'd prefer to have a hardtop. Pretty simple solution...don't roll it!
I don't know about you, but I definitely feel when I have a passenger in the car in terms of acceleration. 120 lbs is half to 2/3 of that. It does make a difference.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
One safety point about convertible, is that in case of rollover it s not safe compare to hard top. It doesn't happen every day, but sometimes i think about that. On the other way may be it makes you drive safer
If safety is important, I believe that the fastback has the roof mounted, side curtain air bags, and the convertible doesn't (as far as I know, no convertible does).

Sponsored

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
Given those predominate seams on the C-pillars on the SN95, it looks more like Ford welded roof onto a convertible, and calls it good. ;)

Matter of fact, because of those seams, its difficult to tell a SN95 convertible with the removable hardtop option, from the coupe.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
My most recent 2 cars:

2014 Mustang GT Premium Convertible - Auto
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack - Manual

2014 loved the convertible top, used it a lot. The kids & wife liked to cruise around with the top down. I hated the sluggish auto.

2017 loved the LOOK of the leather Recaro seats, loved the performance feel of 3.73 gears.

I had to make a choice.... convertible or performance pack. Auto or performance pack. etc.

YOU don't have to make a choice. You can get everything in one car, if you want it.

You can get a convertible and still get Performance Pack. If you want to get an Auto so its easier for wife/fiance' to drive.... no problem you can get that on anything, Performance Pack included!

If I was buying right now, I'd get a 2018 GT Premium Convertible with Performance Pack 1 and 10-speed auto. I'd get PP2, but I'd want an automatic, not manual trans.

Indylatenight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I would think the convertible would be a lot colder in winter then a fastback as far as holding the heat in ?
Not really.... I drove mine the other day with the temp at -15F and it was a lot warmer than my wife's Soul. The heaters are fantastic and warm up quickly. I was actually surprised because i was worried about that when I decided to go with a convertible.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Please explain “a little gay”
Well, generally I understand he's looking for a lot gay, so the potential for not-gay-enough is both confusing and frustrating for him.

:D

I also WTF'ed his comment about putting the top up and down[?] I park mine, top down, we go into a restaurant for an hour or more. I park mine, top down we go to an HIIT class. There's nothing to steal, and if you leave something someone really wants, a hardtop isn't going to stop them either.

Not really.... I drove mine the other day with the temp at -15F and it was a lot warmer than my wife's Soul. The heaters are fantastic and warm up quickly. I was actually surprised because i was worried about that when I decided to go with a convertible.

I drive around in under 65 degree temps with the top down all the time - just a couple of days ago I was out scoring beverages and weekend supplies, top down, ~54Âş :D

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
I doubt you'll notice any performance differences, so you should just get what you really want.

For me, I really don't like most convertibles as I feel it ruins the lines. If there was a hard top option that retained the looks of the FB, then I might consider it.

Sponsored

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
I agree that you are either a convertable driver or you aren’t. If you are then you will feel like something is missing if you buy a coupe. But if you aren’t you will likely be spending many nice days with the top up and it’s definately not worth the extra money/weight.
Personally I think the coupe looks a bit nicer than a vert top up or top down. Would I ever own a coupe? Noooo you can’t even get it with a sunroof. Can’t wait till my vert comes in!
I miss the T-top days when you could kind of have both like on my f-body firebird formula but I guess I’m showing my age :doh:

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Well, generally I understand he's looking for a lot gay, so the potential for not-gay-enough is both confusing and frustrating for him.

:D

I also WTF'ed his comment about putting the top up and down[?] I park mine, top down, we go into a restaurant for an hour or more. I park mine, top down we go to an HIIT class. There's nothing to steal, and if you leave something someone really wants, a hardtop isn't going to stop them either.

I drive around in under 65 degree temps with the top down all the time - just a couple of days ago I was out scoring beverages and weekend supplies, top down, ~54Âş :D
Unless you’re a hot female, get the coupe.

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
You can let homophobic opinions of people like nomadick influence your decisions or just “suck it up buttercup” and make your own lol

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know about you, but I definitely feel when I have a passenger in the car in terms of acceleration. 120 lbs is half to 2/3 of that. It does make a difference.
Probably the best example of the difference is when you have 1/4 to 1/3 tank of gas and you fill up. Some of the "pop" is gone but the car is still damn fast. That pop is easily made up with simple bolt ons.

For me a bigger issue is the wheels. When I was buying I drove a car with 18" wheels back to back with my car that has 20" foundry wheels. The car with 18's felt at least 200lbs lighter. Better ride too!

Now if your a hard core racer or a guy with an engineering background who buys a base model because it's lighter and puts a custom suspension under it
you'll probably be more sensitive than most to the extra weight. :D

Given those predominate seams on the C-pillars on the SN95, it looks more like Ford welded roof onto a convertible, and calls it good. ;)

Matter of fact, because of those seams, its difficult to tell a SN95 convertible with the removable hardtop option, from the coupe.
My 90' convertible actually lost it's cowl vent at 120 making a pass because the cowl shake was so bad. That pass got me kicked off the track and earned my car the "outlaw" nickname.

My 97' Cobra was so much better but still when I jacked up a corner of the car the doors would come out of alignment. That car was called " Psycho Bitch" in honor of Steve Grebeck and because at that point in life I didn't understand the importance of a good chassis but lusted after dyno numbers.

My 2015 is stiff as a board, called "Rosie", and sports a Lund tune and Steeda CAI. However I am getting ready to ruin this one too. :headbonk:

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Hey OP, don’t let people like this influence your decision. No matter what you buy, I am sure you will love it

I love my Vert and I am sure if I had a coupe I would love that too. :cheers:

A7-pIHYS.jpg
Sponsored